E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

What's that noise when I open the drivers door?

Search this Thread

Old 10-30-2004, 03:27 PM
Contributors

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I noticed a few times, when I open the drivers door, there is a noise from under the car, sounds like near the passenger side, under their seat...lasts for a second or two.. kind of sounds like something ramping up, or airing out... etc. like ABS system sounds..

the trick here, is that no key is put in the car yet... my wife mentioned this to me a few minutes ago, that she noticed it too.. so... off to e60.net I went, to ask my friends, the experts, what the heck this is?
Old 10-30-2004, 03:33 PM
Senior Members

I'm not sure if it is the same sound that I have, but when I unlock the doors with the key fob, there seems like a computer drive that starts up and 'wakes' up the car. I've noticed that when the car is locked, and I first unlock the doors with the key fob, that if I next use the trunk unlock button, I can better predict the amount of time needed for the button to be pressed in order to pop the trunk.

If I try to open the trunk without first unlocking the doors, the time required to press the trunk button seems longer. I've attributed it to the first unlock button allowing the control computer to awaken before I start opening the trunk.
Old 10-30-2004, 03:45 PM
Contributors

Originally Posted by gdavis' date='Oct 30 2004, 06:33 PM
I'm not sure if it is the same sound that I have, but when I unlock the doors with the key fob, there seems like a computer drive that starts up and 'wakes' up the car. I've noticed that when the car is locked, and I first unlock the doors with the key fob, that if I next use the trunk unlock button, I can better predict the amount of time needed for the button to be pressed in order to pop the trunk.?

If I try to open the trunk without first unlocking the doors, the time required to press the trunk button seems longer. I've attributed it to the first unlock button allowing the control computer to awaken before I start opening the trunk.
[snapback]51211[/snapback]
sounds similar.. i think you define it better.. when i unlock the door, the car "wakes up" and a computer/drive type sound is heard from under the car.. I thought it was when I actually open the door, though. could be wrong.
Old 10-30-2004, 03:47 PM
Senior Members

Could it be the car seat trying to adjust itself to the last position used?
Old 10-30-2004, 03:59 PM
Contributors

Originally Posted by Wiu-Bimmer' date='Oct 30 2004, 06:47 PM
Could it be the car seat trying to adjust itself to the last position used?
[snapback]51214[/snapback]
no...well... maybe, but i doubt it.. will check it out now.
Old 10-30-2004, 05:17 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2005 545i SMG. Titanium Grey with Grey interior and Anthracite wood.

I beilieve it is the vehicle pressurizing the door locks. I could be wrong, but it sounds like the locks are vacume assist.
Old 10-30-2004, 05:23 PM
Contributors

Originally Posted by bmwin14rsm' date='Oct 30 2004, 08:17 PM
I beilieve it is the vehicle pressurizing the door locks.? I could be wrong, but it sounds like the locks are vacume assist.
[snapback]51242[/snapback]
no... that is definitely not it.. this is a motorized sound from under the car.. i went out to the garage, and locked and unlocked the car and couldn't duplicate it (of course!)..must be when the car is sitting idle for a while?

anyone else notice this? can't just be me!
Old 10-30-2004, 08:49 PM
JDN
Contributors

Any time an SMG car has been sitting for 15 minutes, when the door is unlocked CAS wakes up the control unit so there will be enough hydraulic pressure to operate the transmission when the car is cranked. Something similar may be going on with the automatic transmissions.
Old 10-31-2004, 05:24 AM
Contributors

my son opened the passenger rear door this morning, from the car sleeping, and it made that hydraulic sound.. hmmmm.

UPDATED: I just went out and opened the rear door... heard a "clicking" sound from under front of car, and about 10 seconds later, with door still opened, a hydraulic buzz from under rear passenger seats area (under car, of course).. lasted about a second or two.

closed door and nothing else.....
Old 10-31-2004, 06:40 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2004 545i 6 spd Sports Package | NAV | PDC | Logic 7 | BT retrofit | SW V13.3

Originally Posted by wassy' date='Oct 31 2004, 07:24 AM
my son opened the passenger rear door this morning, from the car sleeping, and it made that hydraulic sound..? hmmmm.

UPDATED: I just went out and opened the rear door... heard a "clicking" sound from under front of car, and about 10 seconds later, with door still opened, a hydraulic buzz from under rear passenger seats area (under car, of course).. lasted about a second or two.

closed door and nothing else.....
[snapback]51360[/snapback]
Oh that noise! I know what that is. Duplicate it and then open the trunk(boot for English). Its a cooling fan blowing in the control unit thats located on the upper left side above the wheel well.

Then the one on the front right side is the CD changer.

Quick Reply: What's that noise when I open the drivers door?