E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Whats the fastest auto setting in a 530 D (231)

Search this Thread

Old 06-07-2006, 10:05 AM
Senior Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: On Order, due in May - 2007MY 530D SE, Silver Grey, Black Dakota, Auto, Brushed aluminium shadowline,sports seats / wheel, hi fi speakers, mats, space saver wheel and a few more bits

I notice when flooring my new 530D that the DS mode keeps on the revvs longer. Just curious, as diesel are more tourqey in the lower revs, is DS mode actually quicker then D? Or is it quicker to manually change in DS mode to get the fastest acceleration
Old 06-07-2006, 11:44 AM
Contributors

Originally Posted by 07530d' post='293934' date='Jun 7 2006, 07:05 PM
I notice when flooring my new 530D that the DS mode keeps on the revvs longer. Just curious, as diesel are more tourqey in the lower revs, is DS mode actually quicker then D? Or is it quicker to manually change in DS mode to get the fastest acceleration
I think D mode is probably quicker... Personally, I use the M mode when 'going for it'.

Would be nice to actually time the 0-60 of D and DS... I'd say the petrol models definitely benefit from holding the revs...
Old 06-07-2006, 11:50 AM
Contributors

My Ride: MY RIDE is DA real .-) HAMANN 5 aka BLACK MAMBA born on 16/06/2005/delivered on 05/08/2005 as following: 530dA (steptronic), Black II (JET), leather Dakota auburn black, mapple trim, head-up display, dynamic drive, active steering, adaptive xenon headlights (auto levelling) with headlight washers, alarm, comfort seats with massage function, advanced A/C, big compartment armrest, aux-in, MP3, Logic 7, Radio PRO, CD in-dash+cd changer, power rear sunshades, rear airbags, park distance control, auto dimming folding mirrors, smoking package, shiny shadow line (individual), fold down rear seats, ski bag, sport suspension, run flats on �116-style� rims (Good Year NCT5+), cup holders, debadged, fire extinguishers, additional permanent power outlet, BMW coat hanger, trunk release button (installed by Hobi), GPS tracking device and a big thx 2 Iceman. Mods done: � Authentic HAMANN FRONT APRON Including ellipsoid fog lights Item-No.: 10 060 110 � Authentic HAMANN REAR SPOILER Item-No.: 10 060 130, � Authentic HAMANN HAMANN ALUMINIUM PEDALS For cars with manual gearbox Item-No.: 80 099 100 81,00 For cars with automatic transmission Item-No.: 80 099 120 � Authentic HAMANN FOOT REST In aluminium For left-hand drive vehicles Item No. : 80 099 122 � Authentic HAMANN HAND-BRAKE LEVER In aluminium For left- and right-hand drive cars Item No. : 80 099 216 � Authentic HAMANN Idrive of alu (sorry this is the only one in the World) but you can have it in carbon fiber , � Authentic HAMANN EXCLUSIVE FLOORMAT SET In black with HAMANN logo in silver For left-hand drive cars Item-No. : 80 060 120 For right-hand drive cars Item-No. : 80 060 � Authentic HAMANN COVER FOR OIL FILLER CAP In aluminium Item-No.: 80 099 117 � Authentic HAMANN SPORT REAR MUFFLER 4 TAILPIPES Sport rear muffler with four round stainless-steel tailpipes ( � 76mm ) Item-No.: 50 060 111 � Authentic HAMANN new add-on for M pack rear with diffusor for quad pipes -AVAILABLE NOW (http://forums.e60.net/index.php?act=ST&f=22&t=30630&st=0#entry332409) � ///M steering wheel w Pegasus logo (this will be also changed to three spoke sports) � ///M pack rear � HAMANN ECU upgrade 265 HP 608 Nm. most improtant: �real and working like a charm forumsbuy real LED tails and PIAA 4700k fogs!!! for HAMANN full front apron you need H3 � CustomAngels, Angel Eyes Brighter than stocks 10X, WHITE & (REd for shows). � Authentic HAMANN LIGHT-ALLOY WHEELS DESIGN EDITION RACE 20" Ultra-light forged 3-pieced light-alloy wheel, Cross-spoke-design,Spider in black, titanium, screwing,polished flange DIMENSIONS : 9.0 J x 20 FA Item No.: 91 207 315 10.5 J x 20 only RA Item No.: 91 207 625 Recommended 20" Complete Wheel Set DESIGN EDITION RACE I went with most aggressive Combination A.10 FA 9.0 J x 20 / RA 10.5 J x 20 with tires: FA 245/30 ZR 20 / RA 285/25 ZR 20 � Authentic HAMANN LOWERING KIT 4 progressive sport springs Lowering by approx. 40 mm FA, 20 mm RA Item-No.: 20 060 125 � Authentic HAMANN TIRE - PRESSURE CHECK SENSOR SYSTEM � Authentic HAMANN SIDE SILLS Item-No.: 10 060 120 � Authentic HAMANN REAL CF ROOF SPOLIER Item-No.: 10 060 235 � Authentic HAMANN AIRBAG SPORT STEERING WHEEL 3-SPOKE Three-spoke design w their SMG paddles (For assembly O.E. airbag in exchange) � Authentic HAMANN sports mirrors (all functions) !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! and of course !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! E60.net Clings Still to do list;-): � Our Hobi's camera system from : ww.switchchange.com). � Individual leather interior (auburn+auburn alcantara)... and drive with sheer drivin' pleasure ... until 2009/2010 F10 comes or E60 possibly a 540d V8 diesel early in 2009 badly juiced!

DS is good for starting in as it changes faster while as in M, even you are fast you are not that fast as the Stept. It is true however that in M mode you can also change before the tranny would
Old 06-07-2006, 02:26 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2014 X5 xDrive 5.0 M Package Carbon Black Metallic/2008 M Roadster Imola Red

Originally Posted by 07530d' post='293934' date='Jun 7 2006, 01:05 PM
IMO, BMW sets its Step cars up to maximize performance/acceleration in DS--including the automatic shift points. If not, then why have a DS mode at all? So, if the gears are held longer in DS, then, IMO, it is because BMW thinks that the DS hold lengths are optimal for performance/acceleration.

Note also that the petrol cars have four fuel maps--2 for D and 2 for DS. So, for example, if in DS, then one map (call is NDS) is for normal starts and the second (call is RDS) is for very rapid starts. And, let the corresponding modes in D be called ND and RD. OK, well, NDS is more aggressive than ND, and RDS is more aggressive than RD in the Step petrol cars. So, at least with the petrol Steps, DS again is for optimizing performance/acceleration. I am not sure if this is the way things work on the diesels.

Finally, in the pertrol Step cars, automatic shifting occurs at redline when under full acceleration. In this regard, one cannot out perform the Step through manual shifting--because if one delays trying a manual shift too long, say until 6,100 RMP, then the Step will not allow the manual shift to occur. In other words, one can shift manually with the step under full throttle, but the shift will have to occur so early that it could not conceivably be optimal. Go figure???--manual shifting with no opportunity to beat what automatic shifting can do on its own. I am not sure how any of these observations apply to the diesels.

I'd be interested in hearing whether, and to what extent, you guys think that the things that I mentioned in relation to the Step petrolers hold in the context of the Step dieselers.
Old 06-07-2006, 02:52 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: On Order, due in May - 2007MY 530D SE, Silver Grey, Black Dakota, Auto, Brushed aluminium shadowline,sports seats / wheel, hi fi speakers, mats, space saver wheel and a few more bits

Originally Posted by Znod' post='294051' date='Jun 7 2006, 11:26 PM
IMO, BMW sets its Step cars up to maximize performance/acceleration in DS--including the automatic shift points. If not, then why have a DS mode at all? So, if the gears are held longer in DS, then, IMO, it is because BMW thinks that the DS hold lengths are optimal for performance/acceleration.

Note also that the petrol cars have four fuel maps--2 for D and 2 for DS. So, for example, if in DS, then one map (call is NDS) is for normal starts and the second (call is RDS) is for very rapid starts. And, let the corresponding modes in D be called ND and RD. OK, well, NDS is more aggressive than ND, and RDS is more aggressive than RD in the Step petrol cars. So, at least with the petrol Steps, DS again is for optimizing performance/acceleration. I am not sure if this is the way things work on the diesels.

Finally, in the pertrol Step cars, automatic shifting occurs at redline when under full acceleration. In this regard, one cannot out perform the Step through manual shifting--because if one delays trying a manual shift too long, say until 6,100 RMP, then the Step will not allow the manual shift to occur. In other words, one can shift manually with the step under full throttle, but the shift will have to occur so early that it could not conceivably be optimal. Go figure???--manual shifting with no opportunity to beat what automatic shifting can do on its own. I am not sure how any of these observations apply to the diesels.

I'd be interested in hearing whether, and to what extent, you guys think that the things that I mentioned in relation to the Step petrolers hold in the context of the Step dieselers.
I am sure you have explained the correct scenario's for petrol - love the free revving stuff, but I don't get near 6,000 rpm. I think I need further advice from one of our diesel brothers. Unfortunately I aint got steptronic either
Old 06-07-2006, 03:50 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2014 X5 xDrive 5.0 M Package Carbon Black Metallic/2008 M Roadster Imola Red

Originally Posted by 07530d' post='294067' date='Jun 7 2006, 05:52 PM
I am sure you have explained the correct scenario's for petrol - love the free revving stuff, but I don't get near 6,000 rpm. I think I need further advice from one of our diesel brothers. Unfortunately I aint got steptronic either
You do have an automatic tranny, right? Maybe it goes by a different name in Europe. Maybe ats will help us out. Oh ats, where are you?
Old 06-07-2006, 10:55 PM
Contributors

Originally Posted by 07530d' post='294067' date='Jun 7 2006, 11:52 PM
The AUTO *is* STEPTRONIC...
Old 06-07-2006, 11:37 PM
Contributors

My Ride: MY RIDE is DA real .-) HAMANN 5 aka BLACK MAMBA born on 16/06/2005/delivered on 05/08/2005 as following: 530dA (steptronic), Black II (JET), leather Dakota auburn black, mapple trim, head-up display, dynamic drive, active steering, adaptive xenon headlights (auto levelling) with headlight washers, alarm, comfort seats with massage function, advanced A/C, big compartment armrest, aux-in, MP3, Logic 7, Radio PRO, CD in-dash+cd changer, power rear sunshades, rear airbags, park distance control, auto dimming folding mirrors, smoking package, shiny shadow line (individual), fold down rear seats, ski bag, sport suspension, run flats on �116-style� rims (Good Year NCT5+), cup holders, debadged, fire extinguishers, additional permanent power outlet, BMW coat hanger, trunk release button (installed by Hobi), GPS tracking device and a big thx 2 Iceman. Mods done: � Authentic HAMANN FRONT APRON Including ellipsoid fog lights Item-No.: 10 060 110 � Authentic HAMANN REAR SPOILER Item-No.: 10 060 130, � Authentic HAMANN HAMANN ALUMINIUM PEDALS For cars with manual gearbox Item-No.: 80 099 100 81,00 For cars with automatic transmission Item-No.: 80 099 120 � Authentic HAMANN FOOT REST In aluminium For left-hand drive vehicles Item No. : 80 099 122 � Authentic HAMANN HAND-BRAKE LEVER In aluminium For left- and right-hand drive cars Item No. : 80 099 216 � Authentic HAMANN Idrive of alu (sorry this is the only one in the World) but you can have it in carbon fiber , � Authentic HAMANN EXCLUSIVE FLOORMAT SET In black with HAMANN logo in silver For left-hand drive cars Item-No. : 80 060 120 For right-hand drive cars Item-No. : 80 060 � Authentic HAMANN COVER FOR OIL FILLER CAP In aluminium Item-No.: 80 099 117 � Authentic HAMANN SPORT REAR MUFFLER 4 TAILPIPES Sport rear muffler with four round stainless-steel tailpipes ( � 76mm ) Item-No.: 50 060 111 � Authentic HAMANN new add-on for M pack rear with diffusor for quad pipes -AVAILABLE NOW (http://forums.e60.net/index.php?act=ST&f=22&t=30630&st=0#entry332409) � ///M steering wheel w Pegasus logo (this will be also changed to three spoke sports) � ///M pack rear � HAMANN ECU upgrade 265 HP 608 Nm. most improtant: �real and working like a charm forumsbuy real LED tails and PIAA 4700k fogs!!! for HAMANN full front apron you need H3 � CustomAngels, Angel Eyes Brighter than stocks 10X, WHITE & (REd for shows). � Authentic HAMANN LIGHT-ALLOY WHEELS DESIGN EDITION RACE 20" Ultra-light forged 3-pieced light-alloy wheel, Cross-spoke-design,Spider in black, titanium, screwing,polished flange DIMENSIONS : 9.0 J x 20 FA Item No.: 91 207 315 10.5 J x 20 only RA Item No.: 91 207 625 Recommended 20" Complete Wheel Set DESIGN EDITION RACE I went with most aggressive Combination A.10 FA 9.0 J x 20 / RA 10.5 J x 20 with tires: FA 245/30 ZR 20 / RA 285/25 ZR 20 � Authentic HAMANN LOWERING KIT 4 progressive sport springs Lowering by approx. 40 mm FA, 20 mm RA Item-No.: 20 060 125 � Authentic HAMANN TIRE - PRESSURE CHECK SENSOR SYSTEM � Authentic HAMANN SIDE SILLS Item-No.: 10 060 120 � Authentic HAMANN REAL CF ROOF SPOLIER Item-No.: 10 060 235 � Authentic HAMANN AIRBAG SPORT STEERING WHEEL 3-SPOKE Three-spoke design w their SMG paddles (For assembly O.E. airbag in exchange) � Authentic HAMANN sports mirrors (all functions) !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! and of course !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! E60.net Clings Still to do list;-): � Our Hobi's camera system from : ww.switchchange.com). � Individual leather interior (auburn+auburn alcantara)... and drive with sheer drivin' pleasure ... until 2009/2010 F10 comes or E60 possibly a 540d V8 diesel early in 2009 badly juiced!

Originally Posted by colejl' post='294291' date='Jun 8 2006, 08:55 AM
The AUTO *is* STEPTRONIC...
I got sometimes 5500rpm but its a diesel so of course even in DS electronic will kick in for securing the engine. But I am sure its better that way
Old 06-08-2006, 01:43 AM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by Znod' post='294051' date='Jun 7 2006, 11:26 PM

This is a question that is bugging me at the moment (although not keeping me awake at night or anything).

As I understand the optimal shift point should be where the HP (measured at the wheels) in the gear you are in would be less than that available in the next gear up OR where you would otherwise run out of rpm.

In most cars the effect of gearing is such that the HP in the next gear up is less anyway - so in most cars the optimal shift point is the redline.

In the 550 peak HP is at 6300rpm - close to the redline - so the DS pattern - which shifts close to (or at) the redline would seem optimal.

In the 530d peak torque is delivered at 2000rpm (or 1750 in the new one) and is flat until around 4500rpm when it dives off quickly well before the redline of 5500rpm.

Peak horsepower is generated at 4000rpm. Since HP always = torque at 5250rpm - I THINK that this explains why the peak HP of the diesel is comparatively low given the level of torque - because it is generated lower in the rev range.

So on engine HP alone - a redline shift in a 530d should be suboptimal - and an optimal shift would be at 4000rpm.

I have found some shift point calculators on the internet - but these require that you understand you gear ratios - and I have no idea what these are for my car. Without this - I cannot work out if the gearing is such that the HP at the wheels is always going to be lower in the next gear up anyway - or if the the optimal shift point is REALLY lower than the redline.

My gut feeling is that it IS lower than the redline and hence that the kickdown and DS modes of the step are not ideally set-up for the diesel cars - but I would really like to be able to know this for a fact.

In a petrol car with step (say the 550i) peak HP is very close to the redline
Old 06-08-2006, 03:19 AM
Contributors

Originally Posted by needforspeed' post='294383' date='Jun 8 2006, 10:43 AM
In the 530d peak torque is delivered at 2000rpm (or 1750 in the new one) and is flat until around 4500rpm when it dives off quickly well before the redline of 5500rpm.

Peak horsepower is generated at 4000rpm. Since HP always = torque at 5250rpm - I THINK that this explains why the peak HP of the diesel is comparatively low given the level of torque - because it is generated lower in the rev range.

So on engine HP alone - a redline shift in a 530d should be suboptimal - and an optimal shift would be at 4000rpm.
The torque actually dies off quite quickly after just 3000rpm! Peak torque arrives at about 2500rpm and then starts to tail off and at 4000rpm you 'only' have about 375Nm... Peak power is produced at about 3400rpm so you might as well change gear about there and hit the wave of torque...

The above is for the original 530d. The 535d obviously has a far better spread - peak torque arrives a little earlier at about 2200rpm and keeps going strong to about 4000rpm - almost 500Nm. Peak power is at 4000rpm.

Therefore, I don't see the point of super-revving the 530d?

Quick Reply: Whats the fastest auto setting in a 530 D (231)