E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

What's the deal with SMG?

Search this Thread

Old 02-27-2005, 06:53 PM
Super Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My Ride: G30 M550i
Model Year: 2018

Originally Posted by FikseGTS' date='Feb 27 2005, 07:27 PM
driving experience in automatic mode???? no....? it's not smooth when driving it like an automatic....? unless the 5 series has a different setup than the M3.....
[snapback]95076[/snapback]
I never use automatic mode. The biggest problem with automatic mode is the perception people have of it. Everyone expects it to shift like a true (fluid based) automatic. It won't. If someone is considering an SMG because it has an automatic mode and thinks they'll use it often, they should buy a steptronic.

My comments earlier about smooth shifting was regarding manual mode. There are many people who think manual mode isn't smooth enough but most of the time, the person forming that opinion hasn't had enough "stick time" with one...
Old 02-27-2005, 06:58 PM
fq1
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by 550i' date='Feb 27 2005, 06:13 PM
I'm looking to buy a 550i once they come out or even a used 545i if I could ever find the right one I want.? What I want to know though is how come there are no SMG's??? I look on Ebay and there's 13 545i's for sale currently and 27 completed.? None have SMG.? I searched on cars.com, which is huge, and it listed 111 used 545i's for sale.? 2 of them had SMG.

Also, when I went to a dealer about a month back to inquire about a 545i he told me they didn't have any SMG and that they were extremely hard to find.? He said I'd have to order one.? He then proceeded to talk down about the SMG saying how hard and jolting it shifted and that it wasn't very fun or comfortably to drive.? I think he was saying this in hopes of talking me into buying a manual or auto but still....? I searched the new car inventory of several dealers in my area (northern cal) and only found one dealer that had an SMG 545i.

Are people just not liking the SMG or what's the deal???

I will say that the two that were on sale on cars.com that had SMG with 7k miles or so were about $5k more expensive than other comparable 545i's.
[snapback]95059[/snapback]
SMG is THE way to go. I have it on a 325 and love it. However, I am not getting it on my 545 because of the obligatory active steering and the run flats I would have had to get with it.
Old 02-27-2005, 07:19 PM
Members

As an owner of an smg and having driven the m3 smg, there is quite a bit of difference between the two in terms of 'automatic' mode. on teh 545 it is quite smooth, but it is still a manual transmission, not a 'steptronic' type smoothness. You cant compare.

I hardly ever drive in 'automatic'. may be once a month. I'd never get anything else...smg all the way. You will have to pry mine from my cold dead hands.
Old 02-27-2005, 07:32 PM
Super Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My Ride: G30 M550i
Model Year: 2018

Pablo gets it!
Old 02-28-2005, 08:30 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: MY05 545i Jet Black with Auburn interior. SMG, Logic7, Sport Package, Comfort Seats, Navigation.

I find that the non-sport mode easier to drive smoothly than the sport mode. In auto mode, the sport setting tends to hold the gear longer. But in the normal auto setting, the gear change takes really long. Either way, the auto mode is not desireable because it behaves like a really confused automatic. It's also true, that people who come from stick-shift cars will have easier time learning, or adapting to SMG because you tend not to forget that you will have to shift gears. My auto-driving friends who drove my car often forget to change gear. They condemn SMG not because of its unique shifting nature, but solely on DIY merit.

Therefore, my conclusion regarding whether or not getting the SMG is; Try to drive your current automatic car in manual setting (many cars have it now) for a period of time. See for yourself if you want the hassle because you may hate SMG if you hate to shift yourself.
Old 02-28-2005, 11:57 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2005 545i (SMG) Titanium Gray Black Interior, Anthracite Trim M-tech kit Sport Package Premium Sound Satellite Radio Active Cruise Comfort Seats Navigation Folding rear seats

Unless you operate the accelerator pedal the right way, the SMG makes rough shifts.

But if you learn to feather it, just like a real manual... you can get silky smooth results.
Old 02-28-2005, 12:19 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: BMW M-Power

Originally Posted by speedracerF4i' date='Feb 28 2005, 11:30 AM
....Therefore, my conclusion regarding whether or not getting the SMG is; Try to drive your current automatic car in manual setting (many cars have it now) for a period of time.? See for yourself if you want the hassle because you may hate SMG if you hate to shift yourself.
I can't agree w/ this one.... I have steptronic tranny and shifting the steptronic seems more confusing than using the SMG shifter (or paddles). SMG in the E60 is really easy to learn to drive smoothly, you just need to spend a lil' more than 1 hr in behind the wheel time on the car.

I mean... really fellas... if you can't learn to drive the SMG smoothly (be it manual or Auto mode) , you really shouldn't be drivign a BMW

beewang
Old 02-28-2005, 12:27 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2005 545i SMG. Titanium Grey with Grey interior and Anthracite wood.

Originally Posted by beewang' date='Feb 28 2005, 03:19 PM
[quote name='speedracerF4i' date='Feb 28 2005, 11:30 AM']....Therefore, my conclusion regarding whether or not getting the SMG is; Try to drive your current automatic car in manual setting (many cars have it now) for a period of time.? See for yourself if you want the hassle because you may hate SMG if you hate to shift yourself.
I can't agree w/ this one.... I have steptronic tranny and shifting the steptronic seems more confusing than using the SMG shifter (or paddles). SMG in the E60 is really easy to learn to drive smoothly, you just need to spend a lil' more than 1 hr in behind the wheel time on the car.

I mean... really fellas... if you can't learn to drive the SMG smoothly (be it manual or Auto mode) , you really shouldn't be drivign a BMW

beewang
[snapback]95352[/snapback]
[/quote]

Dito
Old 02-28-2005, 12:28 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: E60 "Stripper" Now C6 "Stripper"

Get the SMG (Sub machine gun) you won't regret it!
Old 02-28-2005, 12:30 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2005 545i SMG. Titanium Grey with Grey interior and Anthracite wood.

Originally Posted by subterFUSE' date='Feb 28 2005, 02:57 PM
Unless you operate the accelerator pedal the right way, the SMG makes rough shifts.

But if you learn to feather it, just like a real manual...? you can get silky smooth results.
[snapback]95344[/snapback]
I disagree with this. When I feather the accelerator, I get less smoth shifts vs letting the drive by wire take over. Mentally, you have to remind yourself this car is smarter than you are. This is part of the reason it takes more than a "test" drive to get use to the car.

My parent drive by lifting off the pedal and it confuses the electronics to think you want to slow down. Staying on the gas in a smoth transition make for a smoother shift for me.

Quick Reply: What's the deal with SMG?