E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

What's the deal with Night Vision?

Search this Thread

Old 02-13-2006, 04:00 AM
Senior Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Veight' post='239200
Where did you guys hear about the Night Vision for Bmw? I haven't seen it or heard of it its my first time hearing it for BMW i do know that Benz has it for the new S550.
Yes, S-Klasse already have this. Now I've seen it available on 5er and 7er.

Originally Posted by pharding' post='239306' date='Feb 13 2006, 01:15 PM
I agree. Who wants to keep glancing down at night to the computer screen? I have not hit any pedestrians in the 38 years that I have been driving. Pedestrians know better than to walk in the street at night. This is another worthless, expensive option.

HUD by the way is a worthwhile expensive option.
You don't need to glance it. The BMW imagery is not in normal spectrum (like Mercedes is using). Short story: while nothing in front, everything on screen is dark grey or close. If something warmer cames up, like a pedestrian, screen will show it white, so easily to pick it up with your periferic vision at night. BMW's using far infrared (thermal) IR, and Mercedes is using near infrared (illuminated from car) IR, like night TV cameras.
Old 02-13-2006, 01:10 PM
Contributors

My Ride: (UK) Bulit: Feb 2004, 520i (M54), 6-Speed Manual, Black leather, Titanium Silver, Bi-Xenon, Headlamp washers, Side rear airbags, Park Distance Control, Aluminium trim, Standard Climate Control, 17" wheels, Pirelli P-Zero Rosso's, Spacesaver Spare wheel, Jack, Dynamic drive, Service Inclusive, Chrome grills, Software version 20.01.00, E60.net Clings, Painted wheel hubs silver

Found some info on this at germancarfans.com. From the pictures it looks pretty neat. the objects on the road are really visible on the monitor.
cool gadget but a bit expensive?!?

Old 02-13-2006, 02:02 PM
Members

Location: Central California. Plenty of sunshine. Hot in Summer, but NO humidity. :)
My Ride: In the process of buying the right 2006 530i

Originally Posted by ScottishBimmer' post='239581' date='Feb 13 2006, 02:10 PM
Found some info on this at germancarfans.com. From the pictures it looks pretty neat. the objects on the road are really visible on the monitor.
cool gadget but a bit expensive?!?

What is the range, I can see all three people in the picture through the windshield, why would someone need night vision?
Old 02-13-2006, 02:11 PM
Senior Members

Chicks would like it.

I can see it now:

Q. "Oh, baby, are you running night vision? Will it make me infrared? Show me your heatseaker, you sexy, latex-coated hunk. NOW!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!"

A. "Yes. And I have to admit something to you, my love. I am . . . . . . THE BATMAN. Now please hop in the back seat immediately."

If that option's not worth two grand, I don't know what is.
Old 02-13-2006, 02:13 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 535D Sport Auto

My friend is a mole and he thinks its a great idea! He also has a bat friend who will order it too.
Old 02-13-2006, 02:16 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: '05 545i - scheduled for ED pickup in Munich on 7/22!

I believe the whole point of this new Night Vision is that its a substitute for high beams? Because it projects IR, pedestrians and oncoming cars won't see it. Therefore the driver will be able to see further up the road without blinding oncoming cars/pedestrians with high beams. The driver is also supposed to be able to see things further ahead than high beams.

Since none of us have used it, who knows if its actually useful....

As far as the old Cadallac version goes, well I guess BMW is just inventing the wheel again. (Didn't Chevy, Cadallac or Corvette have HUD in the 80's? Didn't the Citroen DS have swivelling headlights in the 50's?)

I think BMW made it available only because MB came out with it in the new S Class.
Old 02-13-2006, 03:11 PM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by Merv the Derv' post='239636' date='Feb 13 2006, 11:13 PM
My friend is a mole and he thinks its a great idea! He also has a bat friend who will order it too.
haha Merv , good one
Old 02-14-2006, 12:22 AM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by Evenflow545' post='239635' date='Feb 13 2006, 11:11 PM
Chicks would like it.

I can see it now:

Q. "Oh, baby, are you running night vision? Will it make me infrared? Show me your heatseaker, you sexy, latex-coated hunk. NOW!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!"

A. "Yes. And I have to admit something to you, my love. I am . . . . . . THE BATMAN. Now please hop in the back seat immediately."

If that option's not worth two grand, I don't know what is.
Post of the day
Old 02-14-2006, 02:44 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: 11 550i Sophisto Gray/Oyster Black/Anthracite, Sprt Trns, DHP, IAS, SP, PP1, PP2, CWP, HUD, DAP, AVSP, SF RS, CA, ACC - Euro Del

The proliferation of night vision will only lead to more pedestrians walking in the street. I maintain that it is the fear of getting run over that keeps people from needlessly walking in the street. Nightvision is not needed if one drives with reckless abandon. People naturally, by instinct, jump out of the way.
Old 02-14-2006, 02:49 AM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by jet190rs' post='239638' date='Feb 14 2006, 01:16 AM
[...] I believe the whole point of this new Night Vision is that its a substitute for high beams? Because it projects IR, pedestrians and oncoming cars won't see it. [...]
Sorry jet190rs, but no way. I explained above a little but it seems I failed to do it properly.

Night vision googles, not the army ones, and TV cameras, have a system that is using near infrared spectrum. This is very close to visible light spectrum. This means, the subject is illuminated with a tv-remote like infrared invisible light, then camera can also pick images illuminated in this way and convert them to visible spectrum, on the screen.

This is the system Mercedes is using. I don't know about Cadillac. Wild life TV crews use this kind of imagery and also BigBrother used such TV cameras.

BMW system is using far infrared. From my knowledge, this sistem does not illuminate the subject. Far infrared is not working like near infrared. Far infrared waves, are actually thermal waves and work picking up the heat in different objects to form an image. This is also the system in fighter jets and bombers. Images you saw when an intelligent bomb was guided over Baghdad were also using far infrared, thermal imagery systems.

Both systems have advantages and disadvantages. I'd like more the BMW system.

Near Infrared
Pros:
  • Images and more "human readable"
  • You can more easily distinguish inanimate obstacles in your path
Cons:
  • Needs more attention from the driver
  • Live animals and pedestrians are not clearly distinguished from other obstacles
  • Subject needs IR illumination which can lead to blinding the system with incoming car's IR beams. I think this could be circumvented technically. IR cameras are not human eyes which take long time to readapt and lower the sensitivity when powerfully illuminated.
Far Infrared (BMW)
Pros:
  • Driver does not need to keep eyes on screen. Obstacles can be seen in a nightly lit cockpit with periferic vision.
  • Live animals and pedestrians are very clearly visible in white
  • Does not need illumination, hence will not be blinded by incoming traffic.
Cons:
  • Images are not very "human readable". Because they pick thermal waves instead of light closed to visible spectrum.
  • Obstacles are not contrasting enough to be able to distinguish. Each object has it thermal signature, but it may not be enough. However a car engine is clearly seen.
More info on infrared wavelenghts, very easy to understand

Quick Reply: What's the deal with Night Vision?