E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

what's this by the center console?

Search this Thread

Old 10-02-2013 | 06:56 AM
Members

My Ride: 08 528i
Model Year: 2008

Yeah, no need to lift the console, but you have to do some "cutting" if you want to make this an easy project. Undo the bolts on the back of the cradle, the top portion comes off, the bottom portion stays connected on two pivot points. One pivot point comes off (the one by the passenger side), the other I recommend you cut with a saw between the static part of the console and where it pivots. To make it easier, do not undo the pivot point by the passenger side, cut the one by the driver side and lift up. The problem is, some pieces may fall inside the tunnel, if this happens you'll need to remove the cig lighter and ac vents on the back to search for any lose pieces. There may be a better way than cutting but I just didn't have the patience to try to undo the screw that holds the driver's side.
Old 10-02-2013 | 09:50 AM
New Members

Originally Posted by Jim165
Why not use the driver door pocket? It's lined with carpet and its perfect for storing your glasses. I have a pair of Persols and some Ray Bans in their cases in mine with room to spare...
That is what I do. I have prescription glasses. I store either my sunglasses or regular glasses there all day everyday.
Old 12-16-2013 | 11:46 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2010 535 xi - M Sport Pkg & other goodies

Hey, so has anyone removed the center console to run an AUX cable from inside the armrest to bring it out by the passenger footwell? I leave my phone by the NAV screen right now, and will be soon getting a mount that goes by the center vent (Proclip), so then I would connect the cable to the phone to listen to music. I'm usually streaming Songza and not music that's on the phone, and would like my phone to be visible.

I just did that on my 3 series, and it wasn't too hard. Getting the center trim piece out wasn't too hard (the one the gear shifter is in), and I ran the cable under that, past the shifter, under the ashtray and out the side, and then bring it up to connect to my iPhone. Luckily, inside the armrest, there isn't a permanent hard plastic tray like in the 5 (it's just a rubber one, so you can slide the cable under it, and into the cavity below.

Was thinking of doing the same with the 5 series (I have a wagon, but I believe the center armrest is the same? See pic below), but the center piece not only has iDrive, but it looks harder to remove.

Wondering how I can get the AUX cable to come out of the armrest from underneath...

Last edited by Lotus99; 12-17-2013 at 12:12 AM.