E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What's the big deal about RDS?

Search this Thread

Old 10-13-2004, 12:34 PM
Members
Senior Members

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My Ride: BMW

I see this mentioned a lot here and on other forums. What's the big deal? All it does is tell you the station name you're listening to assuming the station broadcasts that info to begin with? Or am I missing something here?
Old 10-13-2004, 12:45 PM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 2005 530i, SMG, Silver Grey, Black leather w/anthracite trim, Premium, Sport, Cold, Rear Fold Down Seats, Rear Seat Heating, Xenons. Mods: 545i chrome grill, Euro Red Reflectors and 20% window tint. Coming Soon: Dual LCD monitors w/DVD and Subwoofer install.

Some stations provide traffic, news, stock updates, even ads :~(, etc. in addition to the station name, the song title and artist. We don't have many RDS enabled stations in my city, but I've traveled to some markets that carry much more RDS information. That being said, it sure seems like BMW could have used more wdith across the bottom of the i-drive screen (at least on non-nav cars) to display the information. It appears to only be 8-10 characters wide.

Matt
Old 10-13-2004, 12:46 PM
Super Moderator

My Ride: F02 LCI Individual
Model Year: 2013

Originally Posted by Lomag' date='Oct 13 2004, 10:34 PM
I see this mentioned a lot here and on other forums. What's the big deal? All it does is tell you the station name you're listening to assuming the station broadcasts that info to begin with? Or am I missing something here?
[snapback]44415[/snapback]
It also switches frequencys automatically to better frequencys of the same radio station.
In Germany also the most stations have "floating" text. So there are different infos beeing displayed...
Old 10-13-2004, 12:48 PM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by Lomag' date='Oct 13 2004, 11:34 PM
[snapback]44415[/snapback]
I'd say all in all it is rather important.
Old 10-13-2004, 01:03 PM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by big_ipaq' date='Oct 13 2004, 10:48 PM
I'd say all in all it is rather important.
[snapback]44424[/snapback]
For me it is more important than MP3...
Old 10-13-2004, 01:28 PM
Contributors

Never mind Iceman, if there would be an option for an illuminated, heated exteriour coathanger he'd want it.

Old 10-13-2004, 01:40 PM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by Flowerfred' date='Oct 13 2004, 11:28 PM
Never mind Iceman, if there would be an option for an illuminated, heated exteriour coathanger he'd want it.

?
[snapback]44447[/snapback]
Of course!

But seriously, I listen to the radio every day and don't have MP3's, so that's why to me the RDS is more important...
Old 10-13-2004, 02:03 PM
Super Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My Ride: G30 M550i
Model Year: 2018

Lomag took the words right out of my mouth. I've been scratching my head trying to find out why everyone seems so obsessed with whether or not RDS is fixed in version 13.x. I've used RDS on other cars and I find that I'm not sitting around wondering how I ever got along without it for so many years.

I usually listen to one or two stations and I know how to find them without using RDS. When I'm travelling, I use All Stations if I'm on FM and I use Autostore on AM. Again, no real need for text descriptions, etc.

If I had to, I'd rank MP3 higher on the list of priorities but in my opinion, Sirius radio (with nav) would rank higher than fixing MP3's or RDS! Until then, it'll be "old fashioned" radio and CD's for me...
Old 10-13-2004, 02:16 PM
Contributors

Here in Germany my daughter likes BIGFM. In Stuttgart it is on something like 89.5 FM. About halfway to Munich it fads out. In Munich BIGFM is on like 100.9 FM. If you know that yes you can use all stations and switch to the new frequency. But if you have RDS you just tune to BIGFM and the radio automatically switches for you. No need to know the frequency or fiddle with the radio it just uses the best signal. Just select BIGFM and drive. Of course all the German Top 40 stuff really gets on my nerves long before Munich so maybe RDS isn't a good thing!
Old 10-13-2004, 03:35 PM
Super Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My Ride: G30 M550i
Model Year: 2018

That is a good reason to use RDS. Unfortunately, it doesn't work that way over here. Over here, most stations don't even use it. The ones that do will put the FCC call signs up (each station has it's own) or they might put something like "ADLT ROCK" to show what type of music they play. Finally, very few stations will scroll the artist and title of the song being played. If everyone did that, I'd have a different opinion on RDS in the USA!

Quick Reply: What's the big deal about RDS?