E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

What's the best plan of attack for my ZF6HP19?

Search this Thread

Old 01-09-2017, 04:43 PM
Super Moderator

Received 292 Likes on 281 Posts
My Ride: 05 530i M54
Model Year: 05 530i
Engine: 3.0 M54

There probably is an update but it will not correct the 2-1 or 1-2 slam. I had it done at BMW and waisted my money. You will need more than a software update to correct your issue.
Old 01-10-2017, 03:17 AM
New Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 2007 BMW 550i

I updated my cars software with ISTA/D. Seanjordan is right too, this doesn't always solve the issue. Solenoids most probably will though. But having said that nothing is truly a sure thing with the ZF trans, or with any transmission for that matter. So many different parts can contribute to the same symptoms. Problem solving a transmission without breaking your bank is very much a hit and go thing. Though its a general agreement that the valve body is the weakest link in the ZF. Solenoids is the usual first fix before refurbishing the valvebody itself, though it some cases it would have been cheaper to just re-manufacture the valvebody while its out. So it all depends on how much you're willing to pay and how much time your willing to put into the issue.
Old 01-10-2017, 05:59 AM
New Members

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts
My Ride: 535xi
Model Year: 2008

Originally Posted by tkat
LoL.....Sorry I didnt realize I misspelled. My keyboard auto-corrected. However you corrected me but you too misspelled the part. No matter, the "Guibo" probably isn't the problem.
Nope:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Giubo

Back to the thread after a minor trip through the weeds.
Old 01-10-2017, 07:12 AM
New Members

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My Ride: 2010 535i M-Sport

Originally Posted by DanielFD
I updated my cars software with ISTA/D. Seanjordan is right too, this doesn't always solve the issue. Solenoids most probably will though. But having said that nothing is truly a sure thing with the ZF trans, or with any transmission for that matter. So many different parts can contribute to the same symptoms. Problem solving a transmission without breaking your bank is very much a hit and go thing. Though its a general agreement that the valve body is the weakest link in the ZF. Solenoids is the usual first fix before refurbishing the valvebody itself, though it some cases it would have been cheaper to just re-manufacture the valvebody while its out. So it all depends on how much you're willing to pay and how much time your willing to put into the issue.
In the ever-popular "So you bought an e60" document -- they have a special section where they talk about troubleshooting transmission issues.

In order (and probably by $ amount as well) -- this should be the procedure: (1) new fluid and filter; (2) reprogramming; (3) new actuators; (4) new mechatronics (or solenoids) or (5) new transmission.
Old 01-10-2017, 08:44 AM
Members
Senior Members

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
My Ride: e60 530i e21 320i
Model Year: 2005 1981
Engine: M54 M10

Originally Posted by JPR10
In the ever-popular "So you bought an e60" document -- they have a special section where they talk about troubleshooting transmission issues.

In order (and probably by $ amount as well) -- this should be the procedure: (1) new fluid and filter; (2) reprogramming; (3) new actuators; (4) new mechatronics (or solenoids) or (5) new transmission.
JPR10, Glad to see you got around to reading the document...

OP, Another great thread on the ZF transmission is by KyleB. A complete walk through on our units.

https://5series.net/forums/diy-do-yo...thread-137584/
Old 01-11-2017, 04:09 AM
New Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 2007 BMW 550i

Originally Posted by JPR10

Actuators are the solenoids, mechatronics is the valvebody. But yes that is the general procedure.
Old 01-11-2017, 07:35 AM
New Members

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My Ride: 2010 535i M-Sport

Originally Posted by DanielFD
Actuators are the solenoids, mechatronics is the valvebody. But yes that is the general procedure.
Ah I see. I just copied and pasted from the document itself. Maybe you should suggest an update