E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

What is wrong with my headlight??!!

Search this Thread

Old 06-19-2009, 12:04 PM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

So my left headlight goes out a few days ago and the first thing that comes to my mind is, I just need a new light bulb.
I have a 2004 525i with xenon adaptive headlights.

I just stopped at the dealership to pick up a new bulb because trying to find a new bulb online was very confusing because there is two different types of bulbs (D1S, D2S) and I wasn't sure which one to get, so I thought I'll go to my local dealership, I'll pay a little more and get the right part... WRONG!!
The dealership just made more confused. Even though I gave them my VIN, they still didn't know what type of bulb I need, plus, they said it doesn't really have to be the bulb, it could also be the "igniter" or the module. They also gave me a list of prices and it doesn't look pretty...

I noticed that when I turn my headlights on, the bad headlight blinks for a split second. Also, both low and high beam are out.

Does anyone know it could possibly be?
Is there an easy way to troubleshoot?? Besides moving the good bulb from the other side to see if it would work?

Any help is greatly appreciate it.
Thanks.
Old 06-19-2009, 07:39 PM
Members

moving bulbs to the other side is the easiest and should be the first step in diagnosing a headlamp problem. first thing you need to know is if its the bulb thats gone bad or the igniter/ballast. And try not to buy things like bulbs from the dealer. if you have OEM bi-xenon headlamps you need D2S bulbs.
Old 06-19-2009, 10:21 PM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My Ride: A Car

Originally Posted by JECAR' post='917692' date='Jun 19 2009, 11:39 PM
moving bulbs to the other side is the easiest and should be the first step in diagnosing a headlamp problem. first thing you need to know is if its the bulb thats gone bad or the igniter/ballast. And try not to buy things like bulbs from the dealer. if you have OEM bi-xenon headlamps you need D2S bulbs.

correct about the testing the bulb but incorrect about D2S.

Bixenons headlamps may also have D1S bulbs. BMW just LOVED to confuse people. My friend's car has D2S and I have D1S. It's awkward and it seems that they randomly put it there. Take a pic of ur bulb and I can help u out. But first, swap the bulb to see what it is. D1S includes the ignitor.
Old 06-20-2009, 12:25 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: 06 530i Premium and Cold Weather Package Orient Blue, Tan Interior

There is also another solution set. Drive during the day only and distract yourself with other things to keep your mind off it.

I didn't say it was a good solutios set, just one of them lol. Good luck man
Old 06-20-2009, 12:31 PM
Contributors

yeah i have adaptive bi-xenon and have d1s bulbs

whats the damn difference between the two bulbs
Old 06-20-2009, 02:47 PM
Members
Senior Members

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My Ride: MY07 525xi Silver Gray
Model Year: 2007

For your reading enjoyment ... http://faqlight.carpassion.info/hl-hid-bulbs.htm
Old 06-20-2009, 02:58 PM
Former Vendor

My Ride: F13 M6

look into your headlight (while off) and around the bulb you should be able to see and read "BMW bi-xenon" or something like that, and it should read either D2S or D1S and you will know
Old 06-30-2009, 08:34 AM
Members

Originally Posted by NeRwEEzy' post='918300' date='Jun 20 2009, 06:58 PM
look into your headlight (while off) and around the bulb you should be able to see and read "BMW bi-xenon" or something like that, and it should read either D2S or D1S and you will know
It does actually say D2S.
Thanks NeRwEEzy
Old 06-30-2009, 09:24 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2006 550i, 1984 Mercedes Gelandewagen

Originally Posted by ziad' post='917241' date='Jun 19 2009, 01:04 PM
Does anyone know it could possibly be?
Is there an easy way to troubleshoot?? Besides moving the good bulb from the other side to see if it would work?
It's not the "bulb" since you say that you can see it coming on for a second. It's very rare that the bulbs 'burn out' (even though there isn't a filament in them - just gas).
It's much more likely that the "xenon light control unit" or "Xenon headlight ignition device" is the problem.

If you are not getting any warnings from iDrive about the light control module monitoring the headlamp - it seems to me that it's the ignition device.

There are three phases to light the xenon bulb:
Starting - a pulse of 18 to 25 kVolts (208 times the voltage at the wall in the US) is generated by the ignition device
Warming - light control unit pushes to 2-3 amps into the bulb to warm it up
Running - light control unit reduces to 1-2 amps since the bulb is hot and running

It seems like your light control is not getting past the starting phase.

Swapping the bulb will indicate that it's either the ignition device or the control unit. Swap out the ignition device with the bulb too so that it can be tested.

The control unit is: 63126937223
The ignition device is: 63217162862 (D1S - I dunno what the D2S P/N is.)
Old 06-30-2009, 10:30 AM
Members

Originally Posted by or_550i' post='928664' date='Jun 30 2009, 12:24 PM
It's not the "bulb" since you say that you can see it coming on for a second. It's very rare that the bulbs 'burn out' (even though there isn't a filament in them - just gas).

Not true, I had the same issue, my left side light was out and noticed that when I was in the garage it would be blink once in awhile. I though it was the module itself but took car the dealership and tech told me that since there is still very small amount of gas left in the bulb you'll see those little ignitions and they were right changing the bulb solved the problem. I do have D2S.

It's much more likely that the "xenon light control unit" or "Xenon headlight ignition device" is the problem.

If you are not getting any warnings from iDrive about the light control module monitoring the headlamp - it seems to me that it's the ignition device.

There are three phases to light the xenon bulb:
Starting - a pulse of 18 to 25 kVolts (208 times the voltage at the wall in the US) is generated by the ignition device
Warming - light control unit pushes to 2-3 amps into the bulb to warm it up
Running - light control unit reduces to 1-2 amps since the bulb is hot and running

It seems like your light control is not getting past the starting phase.

Swapping the bulb will indicate that it's either the ignition device or the control unit. Swap out the ignition device with the bulb too so that it can be tested.

The control unit is: 63126937223
The ignition device is: 63217162862 (D1S - I dunno what the D2S P/N is.)

Not true, I had the same issue, my left side light was out and noticed that when I was in the garage it would be blink once in awhile. I though it was the module itself but took car the dealership and tech told me that since there is still very small amount of gas left in the bulb you'll see those little ignitions and they were right changing the bulb solved the problem. I do have D2S.

Quick Reply: What is wrong with my headlight??!!