E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

What would you do???

Search this Thread

Old 01-31-2006, 06:39 PM
Contributors

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 2005 BMW 545i, Silver Grey, Sport Package, R. Shades, Cold Pkg, Sat. Rad., Prem. Sound.

Originally Posted by drjochen' post='232699' date='Jan 31 2006, 05:45 PM
Thanks everyone. I think I will try a different service Dept. first (if they take my car...).
Maybe I should just test drive a Lexus to get it out of my system forever...
If you do decide to go Lexus, make sure to check out the Lexus Forum first and get info the targeted car. I know some people (a small sample) that own first-year Lexus and does not have many issues.
Old 01-31-2006, 07:02 PM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by drjochen' post='232602' date='Jan 31 2006, 02:02 PM
OK, here comes the whining: I am really frustrated with my car. I know that I have complained before, but my frustration is still building.

When I ordered my 545i I was soooooooooo excited. The night before delivery I didn't sleep and I took ~ 500 pictures of the car the first week...

That was almost 1 1/2 years ago. Now, I dread when I have to drive it. The issues with the gearbox remain unresolved after several visists to the delaer, the HUD/CD changer still acts up, the IDrive went dark on the weekend, and I have multiple rattles. I have been to the dealer 4 times in 15 months, got 2 software updates, still have no cover over my greasy seat rails (they were exchanged 3 months into the ownership, but after one year, the dealer has not produced the appropriate part!!!).

On Saturday, the SMG did such a violent dowshift (3rd to 2nd) that it scared the living daylights out of me and my family. Then, I had a guest from work in my car on Sunday and after 5 min he looks at me and asks me "What is wrong with your car? It vibrates and shudders every time you come to a stop? And what is that click/clack sound when you shift?". But the dealer only says "cannot reproduce".

I catch myself looking at brochures of Lexus. Wow, that would have NEVER happened 2 years ago. After all, I have been driving BMWs for 20 years.

Good, I got this off my chest. What do you all think? Am I overreacting, should I just sell the car, should I keep trying to get it fixed, or what?
Get another car -- another BMW, a Lexus, or whatever...

My motto: Do you want to own the car or have the car own you?

Best of luck.
Old 01-31-2006, 08:19 PM
Senior Members

Sounds like you got one of the bad apples. I know you've been to the dealer many times but try going to a different one. Since the car is still under warranty I would definitely try to get it fixed/resolved. If the problems continue just get rid of it. It ain't worth all that hassle :thumbsdown: .
Old 02-01-2006, 06:30 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2009 550i sports, Nav, logic Best E60 yet 2004 545i, sports pkg, logic 7 steptronic, rear shade,orient blue with beige interior, blue tooth enabled Razer Phone. 2004 X5 3.0, sports pkg, stepronic, summer pkg. imola red. 2006 Mini Cooper S, manual, sports, prem pkg, nav and kitchen sink.

I have owned 5 BMW's and have had some issues over the years, I agree with many of the posts except just selling the car at my own loss. BMWNA will assist you if you present your case properly, the first car I had problems with was my 2000 328i, the dealer I bought the car from could not fix the problems after many trys, BMWNA sent reps and finally had me bring the car to another dealer. The problems were for the most part fixed. MY 545i is in the shop as we speak being fitted with its second set of runflats, sure its a bit of a pain, but they are standing behind the car, and providing a BMW loaner car. These are great cars, but if they are not working properly, you should not have to suffer or take a huge loss, let BMW to make it right.

Good luck
Old 02-01-2006, 07:10 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: E60

Have not been on the boards for a while, fellas. I hope you are all well...

I had many issues with my car as well and I got sick of dealing with a poor dealership. They also said that BMW Field Service techs agreed with them (the dealer) and my car was performing normally (BS).

So I sent a certified letter to BMWNA in New Jersey and referenced the lemon law and sent them copies of all the work they had performed. I just had the dealer print it all up for me in advance.

A few days later, I got a Fed Ex letter from them saying they were on it and would contact me soon. Some time later, they bought the car back. I only paid the typical "mileage offset" and got everything else back. You paid top dollar for a car and should not have to deal with this. You may want to consider the letter to BMWNA as well.

-Jonathan
Old 02-01-2006, 10:50 PM
dee
Members

My Ride: 05 545i jet blk/blk sports,sound

Originally Posted by 555' post='233341' date='Feb 1 2006, 08:10 PM
Have not been on the boards for a while, fellas. I hope you are all well...

I had many issues with my car as well and I got sick of dealing with a poor dealership. They also said that BMW Field Service techs agreed with them (the dealer) and my car was performing normally (BS).

So I sent a certified letter to BMWNA in New Jersey and referenced the lemon law and sent them copies of all the work they had performed. I just had the dealer print it all up for me in advance.

A few days later, I got a Fed Ex letter from them saying they were on it and would contact me soon. Some time later, they bought the car back. I only paid the typical "mileage offset" and got everything else back. You paid top dollar for a car and should not have to deal with this. You may want to consider the letter to BMWNA as well.

-Jonathan

Do you think BMWNA will buy my car back if the engine clatters?
Old 02-01-2006, 11:32 PM
Members

My Ride: 2005 E60 530i Steptronic Mystic Blue No mods yet...

Lexus cars are extremely solid and well built.

My 530i has done about 20000km now, and I hear a faint rattling on the dashboard when I drive on
rough, coarse-chip seal roads. (maybe because of runflats' hard ride) and I've had a trip to the dealer many times because of the faulty Active Steering.

Whereas in my old Lexus IS200, it was extremely dead quiet under any circumstances. I agree you can get bored after a while driving a Lexus. Although the Bimmers top the Lexus in the performance segment, no other makers can beat Lexus for its reliability. (IMO) Go for the GS430!!!
Old 02-02-2006, 05:31 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 530i 6 speed

Thanks everyone again! I will keep trying for a bit longer and then just give up, I guess.

I have a contact at BMY NA but can't get a hold of him. He was recommended to me by BMW in Germany (I had already written a letter earlier this year to BMW in Munich), but all I get is his voice mail.

I am just sooooooooooooooo tired of this. I have much bigger issues to deal with at work etc. and I still believe that a car for $60,000 should NOT be an issue, i.e., I should not have to waste so much time in the first year to take it to the dealer, pick it up, try a different dealer, etc.

Its just sad to see how many of us (I knwo we are picky...) have so similar issues with runflats, rattles, engine, tranmission, software, etc. and how much time and effort we collectively waste getting our cars repaired.

Don't get me wrong, it drives beautifully and I still LOVE driving it, but its the many little things (like this morning driving to work, there is a rattle from the dash and the parcel shelf, the SMG was very rough again, etc.) that drive me nuts!
Old 02-02-2006, 05:54 AM
Contributors

My Ride: MY RIDE is DA real .-) HAMANN 5 aka BLACK MAMBA born on 16/06/2005/delivered on 05/08/2005 as following: 530dA (steptronic), Black II (JET), leather Dakota auburn black, mapple trim, head-up display, dynamic drive, active steering, adaptive xenon headlights (auto levelling) with headlight washers, alarm, comfort seats with massage function, advanced A/C, big compartment armrest, aux-in, MP3, Logic 7, Radio PRO, CD in-dash+cd changer, power rear sunshades, rear airbags, park distance control, auto dimming folding mirrors, smoking package, shiny shadow line (individual), fold down rear seats, ski bag, sport suspension, run flats on �116-style� rims (Good Year NCT5+), cup holders, debadged, fire extinguishers, additional permanent power outlet, BMW coat hanger, trunk release button (installed by Hobi), GPS tracking device and a big thx 2 Iceman. Mods done: � Authentic HAMANN FRONT APRON Including ellipsoid fog lights Item-No.: 10 060 110 � Authentic HAMANN REAR SPOILER Item-No.: 10 060 130, � Authentic HAMANN HAMANN ALUMINIUM PEDALS For cars with manual gearbox Item-No.: 80 099 100 81,00 For cars with automatic transmission Item-No.: 80 099 120 � Authentic HAMANN FOOT REST In aluminium For left-hand drive vehicles Item No. : 80 099 122 � Authentic HAMANN HAND-BRAKE LEVER In aluminium For left- and right-hand drive cars Item No. : 80 099 216 � Authentic HAMANN Idrive of alu (sorry this is the only one in the World) but you can have it in carbon fiber , � Authentic HAMANN EXCLUSIVE FLOORMAT SET In black with HAMANN logo in silver For left-hand drive cars Item-No. : 80 060 120 For right-hand drive cars Item-No. : 80 060 � Authentic HAMANN COVER FOR OIL FILLER CAP In aluminium Item-No.: 80 099 117 � Authentic HAMANN SPORT REAR MUFFLER 4 TAILPIPES Sport rear muffler with four round stainless-steel tailpipes ( � 76mm ) Item-No.: 50 060 111 � Authentic HAMANN new add-on for M pack rear with diffusor for quad pipes -AVAILABLE NOW (http://forums.e60.net/index.php?act=ST&f=22&t=30630&st=0#entry332409) � ///M steering wheel w Pegasus logo (this will be also changed to three spoke sports) � ///M pack rear � HAMANN ECU upgrade 265 HP 608 Nm. most improtant: �real and working like a charm forumsbuy real LED tails and PIAA 4700k fogs!!! for HAMANN full front apron you need H3 � CustomAngels, Angel Eyes Brighter than stocks 10X, WHITE & (REd for shows). � Authentic HAMANN LIGHT-ALLOY WHEELS DESIGN EDITION RACE 20" Ultra-light forged 3-pieced light-alloy wheel, Cross-spoke-design,Spider in black, titanium, screwing,polished flange DIMENSIONS : 9.0 J x 20 FA Item No.: 91 207 315 10.5 J x 20 only RA Item No.: 91 207 625 Recommended 20" Complete Wheel Set DESIGN EDITION RACE I went with most aggressive Combination A.10 FA 9.0 J x 20 / RA 10.5 J x 20 with tires: FA 245/30 ZR 20 / RA 285/25 ZR 20 � Authentic HAMANN LOWERING KIT 4 progressive sport springs Lowering by approx. 40 mm FA, 20 mm RA Item-No.: 20 060 125 � Authentic HAMANN TIRE - PRESSURE CHECK SENSOR SYSTEM � Authentic HAMANN SIDE SILLS Item-No.: 10 060 120 � Authentic HAMANN REAL CF ROOF SPOLIER Item-No.: 10 060 235 � Authentic HAMANN AIRBAG SPORT STEERING WHEEL 3-SPOKE Three-spoke design w their SMG paddles (For assembly O.E. airbag in exchange) � Authentic HAMANN sports mirrors (all functions) !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! and of course !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! E60.net Clings Still to do list;-): � Our Hobi's camera system from : ww.switchchange.com). � Individual leather interior (auburn+auburn alcantara)... and drive with sheer drivin' pleasure ... until 2009/2010 F10 comes or E60 possibly a 540d V8 diesel early in 2009 badly juiced!

I am sorry for you Bro.

It is :'( :thumbsdown:

why do not you contact BMW AG Munchen???

Ask that you had issues and somehow solve this??? You have driven their products for 20 yrs so you deserve it.

I think so ppl have info and contacts to them, Iceman whatya think Man?

In the Us seems even more difficult.

Still no probs after 15.500.

Or ask your dealer to compensate you, the $hit is you cannot get much for that if those probs are there, but just give a try or call 1-800-M-A-F-F-I-A on them
Old 02-02-2006, 07:41 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 545iSMGSilver GrayAuburn Dakota LeatherLogic 7 Premium SoundSports Package

Originally Posted by dee' post='233381' date='Feb 1 2006, 11:50 PM
Do you think BMWNA will buy my car back if the engine clatters?

It'll be hard unless its excessive clattering thats really obvious thats its not normal... Slight clattering they'll claim its normal. And if the car is still moving and hasnt left you stranded they wont buy it back w/out a hard fight.