E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!
View Poll Results: What type of transmission do you have in your E60?
SMG
14.72%
Steptronic (automatic)
61.35%
Manual
23.93%
Voters: 326. You may not vote on this poll

What type of transmission do you have?

Search this Thread

Old 07-27-2004 | 02:26 PM
Super Moderator

My Ride: G30 M550i
Model Year: 2018

Originally Posted by Mercy' date='Jul 27 2004, 04:22 PM
545i with a manual transmission and no other way. With that combo and the sports package this car is all "sports car".

In a sort of way getting auto or SMG is kinda lazy. Think of the work-out you are giving your left foot with the clutch in heavy traffic, most people avoid this. When you drive manual it's all about gas management (almost no breaking) different style of driving.

I guess some or all these things are possible with SMG.

I don't know much about SMG but just like an automatic it does adds a lot of complexity to your transmission.
You're right, manuals are fun to drive. It's just that SMG's are even more fun.

I never had a problem in heavy traffic with my left foot after 25 years of driving a stick. (See my above post about the lazy issue.)

As far as being "all about gas management", that's fine but you are assuming that you don't downshift with the SMG. That's simply false. As you surmised, these things are not only possible with the SMG, they're required, in my opinion. (Again, see above post.)

Also, the "just like an automatic it does add a lot of complexity to your transmission" statement is misleading. The gearbox on the SMG is essentially the same gearbox as the 6-speed manual. It's the clutch assembly that's entirely different. Sure, it's more complex as a package but the SMG is much more similar to the manual than it is to the automatic. I think an automatic transmission is way more complicated than an manual transmission.

(Okay, so I kind of did it again...shoot me I guess! )
Old 07-27-2004 | 03:02 PM
Members

I don't want to say REGRET; however, I will say this: an automatic would have been nicer to my wife (but then it's not clear why I want to do that) and the right thing to do (for a particular meaning of "right").

Anyway, I live in Atlanta and I'm a professor. First off, we have no real traffic (Atlanta folks who complain about traffic have obviously never lived in Boston or LA or NJ), and secondly I have a lot of control over when I leave for and from campus. So... not a lot of stop and go for me. I'll stick with manual for a little while longer.

I can't wait until I can really let this puppy go. I think my car is a male. Zooom!

Peace.
Old 07-27-2004 | 07:17 PM
Senior Members

Isbell, your whacked. I lived in Atlanta for seven years and left in 1998. The traffic was bad then and worse when I was there six months ago. I remember a 1 and a half hour routine drive to pick my kid up from daycare. Now my office, school and house are within 15 min.
Old 07-27-2004 | 10:16 PM
Members

I chose manual over steptronic, partly because it's so damn expensive(+3300?) in Finland. SMG would have been my choise, but it isn't available with diesel...

No regrets so far, but I'm still waiting for delivery. In two weeks(12.8) I'll see my baby... Oh torturous wait...
Old 07-27-2004 | 11:56 PM
Contributors

I think Rudy pretty much summed it up for all of us SMG guys. Wouldn't trade it for Step ever ever ever.
I really enjoy it!
Old 07-28-2004 | 12:36 AM
Members

I wish I had your dilemma.....over here in Korea, I have but one choice of transmission (i.e., Steptronic). From my experience (02' E46 M3 SMG), I must say that the SMG is a GREAT transmission! The downshifts are something of an art and if they had offered SMG for my car, I would get it in a heartbeat.

I'm not knocking down the Steptronic (as it is always smooth with semi quick shifts), but if you don't have stop and go traffic all the time, then SMG may very well be the way to go.

Just my 2 cents......
Old 07-28-2004 | 03:46 AM
Contributors

My Ride: BMW 545iA Black Sapphire
Model Year: 2005
Engine: 545i
Cool

[COLOR=blue]Well it all comes down to personal choice i guess. After 10 years
of manual ( E46 328i ) i opted for the steptronic this time on my ordered 545i.
Main reason was, that i intend to keep it for around 5-7 years so wanted to keep it
future proof, economy is better on the auto than manual and acceleration is only
0.1 difference. I mean look at the new trnsmissions from BMW and even Merc,
7 speed tranny: faster and more fuel efficient. Anyway, when i test drove the 545i
both auto and manual , the steptronic was the smoothest drive....
My decision was based on that i wanted to try out the technology that BMW offers,
but for me so long as your BMW, with whatever transmission, puts a smile on your
face it's the best choice. Can't wait!!
Old 07-28-2004 | 04:26 AM
sj3
Senior Members

SpeedracerF4i wrote: The choice has become tougher now with the addition of SMG, which is a fairly new and unconventional way to shift. Some people have chosen this but regreted big time afterward.

Speed: Where did you get that last part (from your first post on this thread) that some have regretted the SMG big time? I have read an awful lot of posts on many boards and I have never ever seen a post from someone who regretted buying SMG. So, again, where exactly did you get this?

Thanks very much,

Sam
smoke-free 1 week and loving it!
Old 07-28-2004 | 04:29 AM
Contributors

My Ride: [i][b][u]Since 19 august 2004[/u][/b][/i]: [color=red][b]530i[/b] High Executive[/color], Silvergray with beige interior, Popular wood, Servotronic, Sportssuspension, electric foldable and dimmed mirrors, dimmed interior mirror, pappelmaser braun wood, cupholders, styling 123 18" wheels, Logic 7, Steptronic, alarm class 3, electric sunscreen in the rear and suncreens for sidewindows, Comfort seats, heated seats, Xenon with headlightwashers, Adaptive corner lights ALC, Advanced airconditioning, lightpackage, Nav Pro, 6 cd changer, side airbags rearseats, bluetooth siemens S55, chrome kidneys, gearlever with wood, voice recognition retrofit, front windshield with green band. Waiting for trunkopener button from Hobi :)

I also have read that the 0 to 60 times on the manual cars are very difficult to achieve if your an average driver. On an automatic or SMG it's just pedal to the metal and the steptronic/SMG takes over the quick shifting for you wich in a normal situation could be faster than a manual car.

Nice to see more Dutch people on the board
Old 07-28-2004 | 04:31 AM
Super Moderator

My Ride: G30 M550i
Model Year: 2018

Originally Posted by sj3' date='Jul 28 2004, 08:26 AM
smoke-free 1 week and loving it!
Congratulations Sam! Keep it up!!

(Oh, and I'm curious too about the "regret it big time" statement. My only assumption is that someone who chooses the SMG instead of an automatic might have regrets if they think it works like the step. As I said, the SMG is clearly an alternative to a traditional (or should I say "old-style") manual, not an automatic.)

Quick Reply: What type of transmission do you have?