E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!
View Poll Results: What type of transmission do you have in your E60?
SMG
14.72%
Steptronic (automatic)
61.35%
Manual
23.93%
Voters: 326. You may not vote on this poll

What type of transmission do you have?

Search this Thread

Old 07-27-2004, 11:01 AM
Contributors

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

In Holland, when I was a child, an automatic gearbox was the ultimate luxury. Every car was a manual.
I guess the idea of an automatic being a luxury kindof stuck with me through the years, so choosing a manual would be done for economic reasons only.

I'll grow out of it, eventually..
Old 07-27-2004, 11:08 AM
Contributors

My Ride: [i][b][u]Since 19 august 2004[/u][/b][/i]: [color=red][b]530i[/b] High Executive[/color], Silvergray with beige interior, Popular wood, Servotronic, Sportssuspension, electric foldable and dimmed mirrors, dimmed interior mirror, pappelmaser braun wood, cupholders, styling 123 18" wheels, Logic 7, Steptronic, alarm class 3, electric sunscreen in the rear and suncreens for sidewindows, Comfort seats, heated seats, Xenon with headlightwashers, Adaptive corner lights ALC, Advanced airconditioning, lightpackage, Nav Pro, 6 cd changer, side airbags rearseats, bluetooth siemens S55, chrome kidneys, gearlever with wood, voice recognition retrofit, front windshield with green band. Waiting for trunkopener button from Hobi :)

Originally Posted by Flowerfred' date='Jul 27 2004, 01:01 PM
In Holland, when I was a child, an automatic gearbox was the ultimate luxury. Every car was a manual.
I guess the idea of an automatic being a luxury kindof stuck with me through the years, so choosing a manual would be done for economic reasons only.

I'll grow out of it, eventually..
I have the same feeling. Plus I chose the high executive option. This included the steptronic transmission, but you could also choose SMG if wanted. The SMG transmission is about 1300 euros cheaper in the optionlist than steptronic so that made the decision easy concerning economics. Also resale value for these type of cars in holland is better with a steptronic than with SMG or manual (manual almost not sellable).
Old 07-27-2004, 12:21 PM
Members

I've driven manuals for the last 17 years. This is my first automatic, first BMW, first rear wheel drive...

The combination of the automatic gearbox and the excellent diesel engine is superb. I very rarely use the manual mode, or kickdown for that matter. When accelerating up to motorway speeds, I just push the gas pedal to the just before the point of kickdown and the surge of acceleration brings a smile to my face very time . The problem is I always have to lift off at 70! Oh for a trip to Germany!

In terms of day to day driving with the family, the auto provides smooth comfortable progress. I'm very happy with my choice of gearbox.
Old 07-27-2004, 12:22 PM
Members

My Ride: 2010 550i M Sport Package - Alpine White/Blk Nasca Leather, Premium hi-fi system, Sat Radio, Nav, Cold Weather Package, Value Package, Shift Paddles, Comfort Access keyless entry, Power rear Sunshade, Front Ventilated seats, Split fold-down rear seats, Heated rear seats, Automatic high beams

545i with a manual transmission and no other way. With that combo and the sports package this car is all "sports car".

In a sort of way getting auto or SMG is kinda lazy. Think of the work-out you are giving your left foot with the clutch in heavy traffic, most people avoid this. When you drive manual it's all about gas management (almost no breaking) different style of driving.

I guess some or all these things are possible with SMG.

I don't know much about SMG but just like an automatic it does adds a lot of complexity to your transmission.

My wife was very excited to get the car manual and learn to drive it. She loves it. It's very rewarding for her as she progresses.

2 Years ago I was looking to get the MB C32 AMG but with manual offering I was not willing to commit. I'm glad I waited for this monster.
Old 07-27-2004, 01:09 PM
Contributors

My Ride: [i][b][u]Since 19 august 2004[/u][/b][/i]: [color=red][b]530i[/b] High Executive[/color], Silvergray with beige interior, Popular wood, Servotronic, Sportssuspension, electric foldable and dimmed mirrors, dimmed interior mirror, pappelmaser braun wood, cupholders, styling 123 18" wheels, Logic 7, Steptronic, alarm class 3, electric sunscreen in the rear and suncreens for sidewindows, Comfort seats, heated seats, Xenon with headlightwashers, Adaptive corner lights ALC, Advanced airconditioning, lightpackage, Nav Pro, 6 cd changer, side airbags rearseats, bluetooth siemens S55, chrome kidneys, gearlever with wood, voice recognition retrofit, front windshield with green band. Waiting for trunkopener button from Hobi :)

Originally Posted by Mercy' date='Jul 27 2004, 02:22 PM
545i with a manual transmission and no other way. With that combo and the sports package this car is all "sports car".

In a sort of way getting auto or SMG is kinda lazy. Think of the work-out you are giving your left foot with the clutch in heavy traffic, most people avoid this. When you drive manual it's all about gas management (almost no breaking) different style of driving.

I guess some or all these things are possible with SMG.

I don't know much about SMG but just like an automatic it does adds a lot of complexity to your transmission.

My wife was very excited to get the car manual and learn to drive it. She loves it. It's very rewarding for her as she progresses.

2 Years ago I was looking to get the MB C32 AMG but with manual offering I was not willing to commit. I'm glad I waited for this monster.
I didn't want to offend anybody by my post, it was a personal feeling I have. Personally i find a Porsche, Ferrari, Lotus, 350Z even a miata kind of cars sportscars and would never have an automatic in such a car because it decreases the sport thing of the car..
Old 07-27-2004, 01:17 PM

I see no reason to take offence. Different people want different things from the car. I've had manuals for so long that I thought an auto would be a nice change, that said BMW does have a reputation for being a drivers car, and I can why those who prefer a sportier drive would go for a manual or an SMG.

I enjoy the auto as it provides a more relaxed driving style - I got fed up chaning gears in traffic!
Old 07-27-2004, 01:18 PM
Members

Sorry, the last post was mine.
Old 07-27-2004, 01:26 PM
Members

My Ride: 2010 550i M Sport Package - Alpine White/Blk Nasca Leather, Premium hi-fi system, Sat Radio, Nav, Cold Weather Package, Value Package, Shift Paddles, Comfort Access keyless entry, Power rear Sunshade, Front Ventilated seats, Split fold-down rear seats, Heated rear seats, Automatic high beams

Don't be silly, you did not offend anyone.

You are absolutely right about lower resale value of a manual especially here in the USA. I take a guess to say that 95% of the residential cars here are auto.

America is the land of the lazy and we have the highest obesity rate to show for it.

I plan to run the car into the ground before selling it or handing it down.
Old 07-27-2004, 01:54 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: MY05 545i Jet Black with Auburn interior. SMG, Logic7, Sport Package, Comfort Seats, Navigation.

It's interesting that someone brought up the resale issue. Well, according to the poll result so far, automatic consists for more than 60%, so it's reasonable to expect it to resell better.

Anyone know why Smg has the worst mileage of the 3? Heck, the automatic is even more frugal than stick, breaking the conventional belief that stick should be more gas friendly.

I see everyone have only positive things to say regarding their transmission choice. I thank you for your input. However, has anyone regreted in anyway, or think they should of gone the other way? Anything we should watch out for? <_<
Old 07-27-2004, 02:16 PM
Super Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My Ride: G30 M550i
Model Year: 2018

Originally Posted by kscarrol' date='Jul 27 2004, 01:39 PM
Rudy, JDN I have driven the SMG, I assume you guys have driven the steptronic.? I would assume the manual feature on my steptronic changes the gears slower than the SMG does, but I have no experience.
First, as been stated by others, there is no transmission choice that is right and no choice that is wrong. Obviously we all seem to be happy with our choices -- which is a great thing!

In the interest of clearing up the biggest misconception of the SMG, I'll say it again for emphasis. To me, the SMG isn't about the paddles (you can get paddles on some cars with automatics), it isn't about the automatic mode, it isn't about seeing if you can shift it as smooth as an automatic, and it isn't about the upshift speeds. Sure those things are nice and can add to the fun. Also, it isn't about being lazy and not wanting to use the left leg.

<span style='font-size:14pt;line-height:100%'>The thing that differentiates the SMG from the step is the downshifts!</span>

You drive the car up through the gears and back down through them. You have total control over what's happening. You can hit the brakes hard, click yourself down two gears, and bingo you're in gear without upsetting the balance of the car. Do that in a step, you've just thrown out an anchor until the wheels force the revs up. In the SMG, the revs are matched before the wheels are engaged. Until you drive one for an extended time it's really hard to comprehend what I'm saying.

Okay, that's the last time I do that -- I promise!!

Quick Reply: What type of transmission do you have?