E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!
View Poll Results: What type of transmission do you have in your E60?
SMG
14.72%
Steptronic (automatic)
61.35%
Manual
23.93%
Voters: 326. You may not vote on this poll

What type of transmission do you have?

Search this Thread

Old 09-28-2005, 11:41 AM
Contributors

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 2014 X5 xDrive 5.0 M Package Carbon Black Metallic/2008 M Roadster Imola Red

Originally Posted by speedracerF4i' date='Jul 27 2004, 10:20 AM
I believe among all those flashy options now offered, the toughest and the most important choice when buying your E60, remains the type of transmission you have to choose.? It is a relationship killer between you and your loved E60 if you choose the wrong transmission.

The choice has become tougher now with the addition of SMG, which is a fairly new and unconventional way to shift.? Some people have chosen this but regreted big time afterward.

I have a 545i in order with steptronic because in short, my wife refuses to use her five limbs (head counts too!) to drive.? The SMG gets poorer mileage, jerky auto mode and carries $1,000 guzzler tax.? With the removal of this guzzler tax for MY05, I am tempted to change my transmission choice to SMG (there is still time for Nov delivery).

I know many people in this board are confronted with this dilema including myself.? If would help us tremendously is you share your experience on your choice of transmission with us, be it stick, auto or smg.? I am sure that many of you made your choice not because you wanted, but you have to, for whatever reason.

We would like to know if you have any regrets, or praises of your tranny and why.? Anything we should expect?
[snapback]19049[/snapback]
I have not read what's above. But, I have a Step and do not regret my choice. I currently do enough shifting in my Z06 and have not had an automatic transmission since, as I recall, 1967. So I didn't want another manual. I didn't want the SMG because I wanted to emphasize smooth uncomplicated shifting. The Step has satisfied me very well although the 1st-2nd shift sometimes is less than desirable in DS and manually. I would change a few things about the Step if I could:

1. In general, the shifting could be a tad quicker in both DS and manual.
2. When shifting manually, I want to hit a rev limiter if I go beyond red line rather than have the Step shift for me. Similarly, I would like the Step to be a little more flexible in allowing me to hold gears before red line is reached.
3. After manual shifting has been engaged, I want the Step to downshift to 1st and to revert to DS once a complete stop has occurred.
Old 09-28-2005, 05:22 PM
Contributors

My Ride: (USA) 645Ci, Silver Gray, Chateau, Cold Weather PKG, Premium Sound PKG, Sport PKG, Step, NAV [Std Equip in 645], HUD, Satellite (SIRIUS) Radio, Aux Input, Bluetooth enabled using iPhone 3GS w/ adapter cradle - Build date - 01/05, Baby delivered 2/24/05

Originally Posted by sj3' date='Jul 28 2004, 10:18 AM
Yeah, I was a very bad case and basically started when I was about 8 years old and never thought I would be able to stop.? Acupuncture + hypnosis were the big guns that were needed.? Thanks again.

Sam
[snapback]19253[/snapback]
Way to go. I smoked for 20+ years, smoke free for past 30 years. Up to just a few years ago doctors could tell I was a smoker, but in last few years no so. I was so bad I looked like Poncho Villa with a bandolier of cig packs for my bar hopping. Quit on July 4th for my personal Independence day and never looked back. It can be done and u can do it

Oh, and on topic -- Step here - after 40 years of manuals I got into autos several years back. This auto is the best I've ever had and can be made aggressive with BMWs tricks (manual shift, sport etc). Never thought my wife would try to drive and in 10000 miles plus she has not. She is fearful of the "High Tech" in the car and I have not tried to dissuade her.
Old 09-28-2005, 07:05 PM
Super Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My Ride: G30 M550i
Model Year: 2018

Originally Posted by my530i' date='Sep 28 2005, 02:21 PM
For those of you have SMG, do you prefer current paddle shift (one for up and down shift) or M-style one (left for down shift and right for upshift)?
[snapback]176442[/snapback]
Well, I've only driven the M-style paddle setup once for about an hour but all I can say is that to me, the E60 setup makes more sense for everyday city driving. Once you get the concept of "fingers upshift, thumbs downshift" in your head, it's quite simple and a very elegant solution. I'm sure the M-people will say they get used to that setup but one thing makes me lean toward the E60 setup -- you can drive with one hand!!

Clearly there are times while driving around town where you might reach for something in the car (maybe the iDrive controller?) It's nice to be able to up or downshift with your left hand if you need to.

Also, with the E60 setup, the wheel could be turned significantly and you could still up or downshift without having to figure out which paddle is which. (Obviously, with both cars you could opt for the console shifter in this case but it's easier on the E60 because you can do either...)
Old 09-29-2005, 02:34 PM
Members

I hate the paddle shifters...they don't fit my hands too well and coming from a manual, I like a hand on the shifter anyway so I've ignored them for the most part.

What is the deal with Launch Control on this SMG? I've seen the post for M5 (didn't dig hard into...guess I should? )

Thanks....
Old 10-05-2005, 06:20 PM
Super Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My Ride: G30 M550i
Model Year: 2018

What about launch control? There are plenty of posts here about it.

I think realtyman may have the record on launches here...
Old 10-06-2005, 09:09 AM
Members

My Ride: '06 - 550 - on order (estimated final production date of 10/17/05, per BMW). Final Production Date 10/14, one day early!!!! DELIVERED - 11/30/05!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! ROCK ON>!!!! Black Sapphire Metallic - Black leather Sport Pkg, Cold Weather, Premium Sound, Sirius Radio, Steptronic, Rear Side Air Bags, Comfort Access, Rear Sunshade, Fold Down Split Rear Seat w/ Ski Bag, Navigation. Aux. Audio Input added 11/30/05

I went with the Steptronic. Personally, I would like a manual transmission in something smaller, like an M3. I do love manual transmissions... but living in Los Angeles... having a manual trans. gets really old when you are sitting in bumper to bumper traffic. Besides... I find myself wanting to melt tires with a manual stick... just too tempting at each stoplight! Just my 2 cents...
Old 10-06-2005, 06:53 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2002 330CIC with Sports and Premium (Sold 4/2005) 2005 545I Black Saphire Metalic, with Black Dakota Leather, Poplar trim. Sport Package, MTech Body kit and Spoiler, HUD, Comfort Seats, Navigation, Premium sound, CWP, Heated Rear Seats, Window shades. Valentine 1 hardwired, Aux input.

Great post, and soooooo true. The only mistake I made was my tranny. Huuuuuge mistake. The only good that came out of it, is my wife got tired of listening to it, and gave the go ahead on the M5. Can't wait, but I will have to. It will probably be a while.
Old 10-07-2005, 04:08 AM
Members

My Ride: BMW 1997 M3/4 Cosmos Black

Which tranny was a mistake? Manual or Auto?
Originally Posted by LuvE60' date='Oct 6 2005, 09:53 PM
Great post, and soooooo true.? The only mistake I made was my tranny.? Huuuuuge mistake.
[snapback]180659[/snapback]
Old 10-07-2005, 05:17 PM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by isbell' date='Jul 27 2004, 09:13 AM
I have a manual.? I've only ever had manuals and I'm happy to have it.

I should have gotten an automatic so my wife could drive the car, too... but then my wife would be able to drive the car, too.

My next car will likely be a manual or somesuch, but after that I'll almost certainly give up and go for an automatic.? Then I'll probably just get a 745i and admit that I'm old.? OOOOOOOOOLD.

Peace.
[snapback]19064[/snapback]
HAHA Yeah, I am only 23. I enjoy the option to jump between auto, DS and "manual". The V8 is so smooth that I don't think I could shift any better with my own hand. Don't get me wrong, I have a pickup that is manual and I enjoy to be in total control of when I shift. In either case, I think the 6 speed is sporty enough for me. Just my thought.
Old 10-07-2005, 07:05 PM
Members

My Ride: E61 525iA Build 2004/08. "Safirschwartz Metallic". Navi Pro, Adaptive Headlights, Bi-Xenon, Panorama Sunroof etc... CIP 18.00.01 (No noticed bug)

I have steptronic and I never regretted that choice!

Quick Reply: What type of transmission do you have?