E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!
View Poll Results: What type of transmission do you have in your E60?
SMG
14.72%
Steptronic (automatic)
61.35%
Manual
23.93%
Voters: 326. You may not vote on this poll

What type of transmission do you have?

Search this Thread

Old 07-27-2004, 07:20 AM
Senior Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: MY05 545i Jet Black with Auburn interior. SMG, Logic7, Sport Package, Comfort Seats, Navigation.
Talking

I believe among all those flashy options now offered, the toughest and the most important choice when buying your E60, remains the type of transmission you have to choose. It is a relationship killer between you and your loved E60 if you choose the wrong transmission.

The choice has become tougher now with the addition of SMG, which is a fairly new and unconventional way to shift. Some people have chosen this but regreted big time afterward.

I have a 545i in order with steptronic because in short, my wife refuses to use her five limbs (head counts too!) to drive. The SMG gets poorer mileage, jerky auto mode and carries $1,000 guzzler tax. With the removal of this guzzler tax for MY05, I am tempted to change my transmission choice to SMG (there is still time for Nov delivery).

I know many people in this board are confronted with this dilema including myself. If would help us tremendously is you share your experience on your choice of transmission with us, be it stick, auto or smg. I am sure that many of you made your choice not because you wanted, but you have to, for whatever reason.

We would like to know if you have any regrets, or praises of your tranny and why. Anything we should expect?
Old 07-27-2004, 07:26 AM
Contributors

My Ride: E90 M3
Model Year: 2011

can't speak to the operational aspects of the SMG, but I believe the gas guzzler tax is already gone for that option. As for my steptronic, I'm very pleased. My wife doesn't do the manual thing and frankly the vast majority of my driving is around town, where I figured the manual would get tiresome. And when I do want to play, the manual mode in the steptronic is more than adequate for my needs. The sport mode gives the car the added zip when needed, using the higher RPM shift points. Again, very pleased w/ my choice.
Old 07-27-2004, 07:47 AM
Contributors

My Ride: [i][b][u]Since 19 august 2004[/u][/b][/i]: [color=red][b]530i[/b] High Executive[/color], Silvergray with beige interior, Popular wood, Servotronic, Sportssuspension, electric foldable and dimmed mirrors, dimmed interior mirror, pappelmaser braun wood, cupholders, styling 123 18" wheels, Logic 7, Steptronic, alarm class 3, electric sunscreen in the rear and suncreens for sidewindows, Comfort seats, heated seats, Xenon with headlightwashers, Adaptive corner lights ALC, Advanced airconditioning, lightpackage, Nav Pro, 6 cd changer, side airbags rearseats, bluetooth siemens S55, chrome kidneys, gearlever with wood, voice recognition retrofit, front windshield with green band. Waiting for trunkopener button from Hobi :)

I chose for the steptronic because personally I think this type of car is not a sportscar (M5 excluded) but a luxury car. I must say on this board a lot of the people with a SMG box are very happy with it and don't complain.
Old 07-27-2004, 07:56 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: MY05 545i Jet Black with Auburn interior. SMG, Logic7, Sport Package, Comfort Seats, Navigation.

Interesting,

Are there any shortcomings with SMG? I only had the chance to drive it on a 530i for 10 miles. How is it in the real world traffic?
Old 07-27-2004, 08:08 AM
Contributors

I have the 6-speed manual & am very pleased. Having the power of the 545i makes all the difference for me. I don't have to drive in much "bumper to bumper" traffic. When I do, I am able to go between 0 & 45 mph easily in 1st & 2nd gear. In my e34, also with a manual, I found I using 1,2 & 3 gears for the same situation. The 545i engine and and manual transmission work extremely well for my type of driving.
Old 07-27-2004, 08:13 AM
Members

I have a manual. I've only ever had manuals and I'm happy to have it.

I should have gotten an automatic so my wife could drive the car, too... but then my wife would be able to drive the car, too.

My next car will likely be a manual or somesuch, but after that I'll almost certainly give up and go for an automatic. Then I'll probably just get a 745i and admit that I'm old. OOOOOOOOOLD.

Peace.
Old 07-27-2004, 08:21 AM
Contributors

My Ride: E90 M3
Model Year: 2011

watch it isbell! Those of us with the auto are not that old!
Old 07-27-2004, 08:21 AM
JDN
Contributors

I am happy with the SMG. I drive in Sport mode most of the time and use the paddles. It is amazingly quick out of the blocks.
Old 07-27-2004, 08:23 AM
Super Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My Ride: G30 M550i
Model Year: 2018

I owned only manuals from 1981 all the way to now. Made the decision to go SMG with this car and have to say that it was the best decision I made.

SMG is something so different that you can't judge it properly with a short test drive. Hell, you can't judge it after even a week or so. It takes a good month to figure it out and re-program your brain as to how to shift.

Now, after over three months, it's pretty much second nature and is far superior to a traditional manual. It's really not about the upshifts, it's about the downshifts!! Perfect heel-toe every time!

One thing is clear to me -- SMG is not an alternative to an automatic -- it's an alternative to a manual. If you are normally an automatic customer, don't even consider it (unless you are also considering a manual). If you are normally a manual customer, take the plunge! You won't be sorry as long as you reserve judgement until after you've had a chance to reprogram your brain, hand, foot, etc.

I'll bet that in the future, SMG's and automatics will be the only offering. Once people get used to them, there's really no going back!
Old 07-27-2004, 09:18 AM
Members

Originally Posted by Rudy' date='Jul 27 2004, 10:23 AM
One thing is clear to me -- SMG is not an alternative to an automatic -- it's an alternative to a manual. If you are normally an automatic customer, don't even consider it (unless you are also considering a manual). If you are normally a manual customer, take the plunge! You won't be sorry as long as you reserve judgement until after you've had a chance to reprogram your brain, hand, foot, etc.

I'll bet that in the future, SMG's and automatics will be the only offering. Once people get used to them, there's really no going back!
I believe this. I'd love to get to know an SMG. Maybe I'll be able to go from manual to SMG one day and still feel like I'm not 70 years old, or however old you have to be to accept driving an automatic.

Peace.

Quick Reply: What type of transmission do you have?