E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

What are these components marked in the boot / trunk

Search this Thread

Old 11-30-2007, 11:14 AM
Contributors

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
My Ride: BMW E60 520d SE Saloon M47 2.0dTitanium Grey II, Grey−Dakota Leather, Visibility Package, Media Package, Through Load System, Lumbar support − fr seats, Automatic Air Conditioning−Advanced, High beam assistant, Hi−Fi Loudspeak
Model Year: 2006

What are these components marked in the boot / trunk-untitled.gif

Any clues? One must be the TV module. Where is the DAB radio module placed? Because in the US the Sirus is somewhere in that area.

On subject of DAB can someone provide feedback of the quality?
Old 11-30-2007, 12:46 PM
Contributors

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 2011, X6 Hybrid . Alpine White , every option. 20" Conti' NON runflats,OEM trunk spoiler , LUX V3 AE's , HP Thunder Fogs , custom front bumper reflector delete........

I have absolutely no idea but it looks just like the inside of my coffee machine !!
Old 11-30-2007, 01:28 PM
Contributors

I understand that this doesn't answer the question but I've always wondered how the European Goverment doesn't have the same restrictions on TV's visable by the driver. Do they not think a driver watching a TV isnt removing their concentration from the road, or do they figure that this is a freedom that they should have. Cause I can tell you for 100% confidence that allowing this is dangerous and im sure it has resulted in loss of life. Cell phones are bad enough but TV's are just ridiculous. I guess they should also come with full sized refrigerators in the back seat so the driver can crawl back there during a trip and go make himself a sandwich too. A nice sandwich is always nice when sitting back relaxing watching tv.
Old 11-30-2007, 01:29 PM
Contributors

Originally Posted by westcoast550' post='501218' date='Nov 30 2007, 05:46 PM
I have absolutely no idea but it looks just like the inside of my coffee machine !!

Do they allow front seat tv's in Canada too?

Just curious.
Old 11-30-2007, 01:59 PM
Super Moderator

My Ride: F02 LCI Individual
Model Year: 2013

Originally Posted by Veight' post='501228' date='Nov 30 2007, 11:28 PM
I understand that this doesn't answer the question but I've always wondered how the European Goverment doesn't have the same restrictions on TV's visable by the driver. Do they not think a driver watching a TV isnt removing their concentration from the road, or do they figure that this is a freedom that they should have. Cause I can tell you for 100% confidence that allowing this is dangerous and im sure it has resulted in loss of life. Cell phones are bad enough but TV's are just ridiculous. I guess they should also come with full sized refrigerators in the back seat so the driver can crawl back there during a trip and go make himself a sandwich too. A nice sandwich is always nice when sitting back relaxing watching tv.
When doing more than 3 Km/h the screen is blanked out and a message appears. You can only listen to it then.

It is not allowed to watch TV while driving here in Germany.
Talking on cellphones is also illegal while driving.
Old 11-30-2007, 02:06 PM
Contributors

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
My Ride: BMW E60 520d SE Saloon M47 2.0dTitanium Grey II, Grey−Dakota Leather, Visibility Package, Media Package, Through Load System, Lumbar support − fr seats, Automatic Air Conditioning−Advanced, High beam assistant, Hi−Fi Loudspeak
Model Year: 2006

Can we come back to the thread please.
Old 11-30-2007, 06:11 PM
Members

My Ride: 2004 530i 06/2004 Build Date

Originally Posted by bruce_miranda' post='501181' date='Nov 30 2007, 03:14 PM
Any clues? One must be the TV module. Where is the DAB radio module placed? Because in the US the Sirus is somewhere in that area.

I know in the US, what you are pointing at with the green arrow is the same location the SIRIUS tuner is placed in the US.

Unfortunately I can't help with much other than that.
Old 11-30-2007, 07:31 PM
Super Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My Ride: G30 M550i
Model Year: 2018

Bruce,

I don't know if I'll be able to add any good information but I just tried to identify your car by looking at your signature and was surprised to see that you haven't listed it yet! How'd you slip through the cracks for two years without any signature information?

Anyway, I have some strange boxes in that location as well that I've not been able to identify just yet (not that I've tried too hard...) I'm thinking one of the one's on my car has to do with providing video for the night vision system since it works almost like an overlay screen.

If I figure out what your stuff could be, I'll let you know (but it would be nice to have your sig help me figure out your car... )
Old 11-30-2007, 10:02 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2007 E61 M5, 1989 Z1

Originally Posted by bruce_miranda' post='501181' date='Nov 30 2007, 03:14 PM
Attachment 41339

Can you post part numbers of the units?
Old 12-01-2007, 12:42 AM
Members

Hi Bruce,

The red arrow is pointing to TV/Video module and to my knowledge the green arrow is pointing to additional digital TV module (digital set-top-box).

The module pointed by red arrow is used for TV and to connect other video sources like the digital set-top-box, reversing camera or DVD-changer.

Perhaps in this car the TV/Video module is only for analog TV and digital set-top-box is needed to add digital TV function. If I have understood correctly there is no need for additional digital TV set-top-box (pointed by green arrow) if the TV/Video module is a Hybrid model (both analog and digital TV tuners integrated). But if I remember correctly external DVB (digital TV) set-top-box is the only way to get teletext service working with digital TV.

Video module is always needed when you have an additional DVB set-top-box module or A/V-source. At least in Europe the video module has TV function integrated (older modules are just for analog TV, but newer ones are full hybrid). In US the video module is used only to attach other video sources.

I hope that I'm making at least some sense.

Quick Reply: What are these components marked in the boot / trunk