E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

What a stupid, stupid place

Search this Thread

Old 01-16-2007, 01:47 PM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: F11 520d white, auto, professional sat-nav with internet, variable damper control, sports steering wheel, extended lighting, retractable tow bar, wing mirrors with dimming & folding, full electric seats with memory & lumber adjustment, etc.

Its not in a stupid place at all! Not if you sell expensive 6 disc CD changers that make a reasonable profit.

Actually Apple may have missed an opportunity for OEM parts for the car manufacturers
Old 01-18-2007, 10:07 AM
Members

My Ride: F11 520d Touring Imperial Blue, sports automatic, VDC, black leather sports seats, M Sport steering wheel, HiFi Professional, 18" 328 wheels, Xenon, PCD, electrical tow hitch etc... E87 120dM -10, Titanium silver, xenon, PDC, Hifi, 18" wheels etc. E87 120d M sport- 08, Le Mans blue, xenon, PDC, Hifi, 18" wheels etc. Sold: BMW 525dT Deep sea blue, xenon, PDC, leather, Hifi, USB etc.

I just found out that if you order the USB connection, you will loose the cooled compartment under the armrest. And the USB connector will still be on the back of the center console. It's clear that the engineers at BMW are not ipod owners themselves.
Old 01-18-2007, 10:12 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: 320d SE (E90) manual - Sapphire Black, Beige Leather Sports Seats, Burled Walnut, Heated Seats, Sunroof, Comfort Access, Hi-Fi sound, Bluetooth, Side-Window blinds, Through-Load, Luggage Net, PDC Front & Rear, Adaptive Xenons, Style 158 17", Chrome Grill & Window Trim, Blackline Tailights, Power folding/dimming side mirrors, Split Armrest, Dual Zone Climate, Cruise, LEDs on door handles, iPod nano, SE K750i

Originally Posted by gorban' post='380141' date='Jan 18 2007, 07:07 PM
I just found out that if you order the USB connection, you will loose the cooled compartment under the armrest. And the USB connector will still be on the back of the center console. It's clear that the engineers at BMW are not ipod owners themselves.
That's really stupid isn't it?

Do you know if you can still install the iPod dock connector kit in the glove compartment in place of the CD changer? And will it work with iDrive still?

I want something that will actually work with my iPod (protected AAC included) and keeps the expensive iPod hidden away...

The USB connector is a joke and verges on false advertising as doesn't integrate with iPods properly at all.
Old 01-18-2007, 10:42 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: On Order, due in May - 2007MY 530D SE, Silver Grey, Black Dakota, Auto, Brushed aluminium shadowline,sports seats / wheel, hi fi speakers, mats, space saver wheel and a few more bits

Originally Posted by Raighne' post='376590' date='Jan 11 2007, 12:00 AM
So, it is now confirmed that the new USB port which can also handle a memory stick or iPod (with dock connector cable) is situated on the fashia of the rear-centre console next to the aux connector.

I'm sorry but I don't understand what BMW designers were thinking with the facelift.
Are they expecting us to have out iPods etc. dangling on a cable out of the rear console, lying across the floor only to be crushed by a passenger's boot.

Why, in the name of god, didn't they put the USB connector in a sensible place like inside the centre armrest (like the E90) or even in the glovebox. Someplace at least where the MP3 player could be kept out of harms way (and out of sight).

Do you agree?
I totally agree. My kids keep accidentally kicking out the aux ipod connection and the cable always jams when my wife moves the seat - useless :thumbsdown:
Old 01-18-2007, 11:01 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 530i 6 speed

Originally Posted by Raighne' post='376590' date='Jan 10 2007, 07:00 PM
So, it is now confirmed that the new USB port which can also handle a memory stick or iPod (with dock connector cable) is situated on the fashia of the rear-centre console next to the aux connector.

I'm sorry but I don't understand what BMW designers were thinking with the facelift.
Are they expecting us to have out iPods etc. dangling on a cable out of the rear console, lying across the floor only to be crushed by a passenger's boot.

Why, in the name of god, didn't they put the USB connector in a sensible place like inside the centre armrest (like the E90) or even in the glovebox. Someplace at least where the MP3 player could be kept out of harms way (and out of sight).

Do you agree?
Yes