E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

What a stupid, stupid place

Search this Thread

Old 01-10-2007, 03:00 PM
Senior Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 320d SE (E90) manual - Sapphire Black, Beige Leather Sports Seats, Burled Walnut, Heated Seats, Sunroof, Comfort Access, Hi-Fi sound, Bluetooth, Side-Window blinds, Through-Load, Luggage Net, PDC Front & Rear, Adaptive Xenons, Style 158 17", Chrome Grill & Window Trim, Blackline Tailights, Power folding/dimming side mirrors, Split Armrest, Dual Zone Climate, Cruise, LEDs on door handles, iPod nano, SE K750i

So, it is now confirmed that the new USB port which can also handle a memory stick or iPod (with dock connector cable) is situated on the fashia of the rear-centre console next to the aux connector.

I'm sorry but I don't understand what BMW designers were thinking with the facelift.
Are they expecting us to have out iPods etc. dangling on a cable out of the rear console, lying across the floor only to be crushed by a passenger's boot.

Why, in the name of god, didn't they put the USB connector in a sensible place like inside the centre armrest (like the E90) or even in the glovebox. Someplace at least where the MP3 player could be kept out of harms way (and out of sight).

Do you agree?
Old 01-10-2007, 03:32 PM
Members

Originally Posted by Raighne' post='376590' date='Jan 11 2007, 12:00 AM
So, it is now confirmed that the new USB port which can also handle a memory stick or iPod (with dock connector cable) is situated on the fashia of the rear-centre console next to the aux connector.

I'm sorry but I don't understand what BMW designers were thinking with the facelift.
Are they expecting us to have out iPods etc. dangling on a cable out of the rear console, lying across the floor only to be crushed by a passenger's boot.

Why, in the name of god, didn't they put the USB connector in a sensible place like inside the centre armrest (like the E90) or even in the glovebox. Someplace at least where the MP3 player could be kept out of harms way (and out of sight).

Do you agree?
Absolutely 100%
Old 01-10-2007, 03:48 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2007 E60 M5

Maybe they didn't think that a real BMW owner could listen music when driving...
Old 01-11-2007, 10:00 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: 320d SE (E90) manual - Sapphire Black, Beige Leather Sports Seats, Burled Walnut, Heated Seats, Sunroof, Comfort Access, Hi-Fi sound, Bluetooth, Side-Window blinds, Through-Load, Luggage Net, PDC Front & Rear, Adaptive Xenons, Style 158 17", Chrome Grill & Window Trim, Blackline Tailights, Power folding/dimming side mirrors, Split Armrest, Dual Zone Climate, Cruise, LEDs on door handles, iPod nano, SE K750i

Do you agree?
Somehow, I was expecting this thread to be a 'resounding yes' followed by some serious bitching.
Seems that most people aren't too bothered about the position of the USB port. Perhaps, I am just on the wrong drugs.
Old 01-11-2007, 11:26 AM
Members

My Ride: 2011 BMW 328xi Sports Wagon w/ premium, sound, nav, ipod, manual trans

Hi.. is it possible that's a secondary connector? One for the rear seat folks to plug into... I was made to understand in the ROUNDEL that the new IPod tech has a nice snug home in the glove compartment.

If what you say is true, that's a major faux pas.
Old 01-11-2007, 11:45 AM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by Raighne' post='376590' date='Jan 10 2007, 07:00 PM

Do you agree?
I do agree, pretty bad postion to put it. But then again, that is the only place where you get not one but two extra power outlets. I guess they assume that whatever you are going to connect there will need to be charged.

A power outlet and the USB port in the glovebox (Or inside the center console) would make more sense.
At least they did not put it in the trunk, where you have another power outlet which is useless because once you take the key away, it cuts the power.

But since I am not going to buy a facelifted E60, I don't care where they put it. If a retrofit is available, you can put it wherever you want to.
Old 01-11-2007, 11:47 AM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by forceten' post='376969' date='Jan 11 2007, 08:26 PM
Hi.. is it possible that's a secondary connector? One for the rear seat folks to plug into... I was made to understand in the ROUNDEL that the new IPod tech has a nice snug home in the glove compartment.
Well, the old dealer-installed iPod kit certainly had an iPod cable in the glovebox. It used the CD Changer interface so if you had a CD Changer in your car you had to remove it. The interface with iDrive was a hack and in particular, scrolling through music was painfully slow.

Supposedly, in the LCI, an iPod (or USB memory stick) can be plugged into the the USB port on the rear console (presumably you would have to supply your own iPod -> USB cable). The way in which iDrive accesses the iPod is also supposed to be quite different (some people think it will use disc-mode): if that it indeed true then it would be interesting to find out if the iTunes library file, playlists and metadata like album art would be read. The biggest question of all is... would that also mean that only MP3 tracks can be played (and perhaps not Apple DRM encrypted AAC and other formats) - that would be bad, very bad.

All of that is an entirely different topic though (probably for another thread when we find out more about how it will actually work).

I doubt if there is a factory installed iPod cable in the glovebox in conjunction to the new USB port (but maybe Roundel is right).
Old 01-11-2007, 11:53 AM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by Wiu-Bimmer' post='376974' date='Jan 11 2007, 08:45 PM
I do agree, pretty bad postion to put it. But then again, that is the only place where you get not one but two extra power outlets. I guess they assume that whatever you are going to connect there will need to be charged.
Not really.
iPod (and other such devices) are charged over USB itself.
USB 2.0 supplies enough power for this kind of thing (up to 500mA)
Old 01-11-2007, 12:22 PM
Senior Members

Angry

Originally Posted by Raighne' post='376977' date='Jan 11 2007, 03:53 PM
Not really.
iPod (and other such devices) are charged over USB itself.
USB 2.0 supplies enough power for this kind of thing (up to 500mA)
Me bad , correction taken , agree
Old 01-11-2007, 12:45 PM
Members

My Ride: E60 530d M Sport

Do you agree?

Yep. Daft. Aux in was completely in the wrong place for me - De-install every time I park up so no wires in evidence for the local scrotes. USB location won't suit me either.

Red

Quick Reply: What a stupid, stupid place