E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

What size battery (amps) does a 550 have?

Search this Thread

Old 10-26-2006, 09:44 AM
Contributors

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Does anyone know what size battery a MY07 550i has in it. I really thought this would appear in the mass of booklets and manuals that come with the car, but it doesn't.

Without removing the back panel, how do I tell which battery is in my car?

Thanks,
Old 10-27-2006, 07:25 AM
Members

My Ride: A 520 D, Steptronic, june 2006, Black Sapphire, Black Excusive leather, Bi-Xenon, Adaptive headlights, Sound System, Navi-Pro, High Gloss Shadow Line, Sun Protection Glass, M-Sport steering wheel, Auto-Dim int + Folding Ext mirrors, Rear side airbags, Anthracite Headlining, Automatic Air Conditioning Advanced

In Belgium , the 550i has a 90 Ah battery.
Old 10-27-2006, 07:28 AM
Contributors

My Ride: E61 535d Apr 05. UK spec + Media Pack, Luxury Pack & Visibility Pack

UK - 90Ah.

The specs should be on the websites, as they are in the brochures. I'm surprised it's not in the manual.
Old 10-27-2006, 07:44 AM
Contributors

Originally Posted by dlevi67' post='349392' date='Oct 27 2006, 10:28 AM
UK - 90Ah.

The specs should be on the websites, as they are in the brochures. I'm surprised it's not in the manual.

Looking at the 2007 sales brochure , which is on the info section of this site it says nothing about any battery. What brochure have you seen anything about battery size or type? Im not finding anything. In fact, when i call the parts manager at my BMW dealership they told me the 550i can have either of three battery sizes depending on the options ordered. They basically dont know unless they open the back panel of the trunk and look at the battery.

Id really be interested where you are seeing this in the brochure, maybe im overlooking something here.

Thanks
Old 10-27-2006, 08:17 AM
Contributors

For example, here. Click on the Download link at the bottom right. At the very end of the brochure, just above the dimensions sketches, the battery and alternator specs are given, confirming the 90Ah.

If you want, I'll scan you a copy of my 2006 E61 UK brochure tonight when I get home, but I don't see that it's going to do much good.

Perhaps US specs are different to the extent that different batteries are necessary, but it seems unlikely, as all the extras/features/gizmos I have seen or heard of are also available in Europe, mutatis mutandis for standards (e.g. TMC / RTTI, Sirius /DAB etc.).

Edit: It's also on the US Dealer info doc in the info section, on page 56 (P57 of the pdf) - though it's for a 545. 90 Ah again.
Old 10-27-2006, 08:38 AM
Contributors

Originally Posted by dlevi67' post='349415' date='Oct 27 2006, 11:17 AM
For example, here. Click on the Download link at the bottom right. At the very end of the brochure, just above the dimensions sketches, the battery and alternator specs are given, confirming the 90Ah.

If you want, I'll scan you a copy of my 2006 E61 UK brochure tonight when I get home.

Perhaps US specs are different to the extent that different batteries are necessary, but it seems unlikely, as all the extras/features/gizmos I have seen or heard of are also available in Europe, mutatis mutandis for standards (e.g. TMC / RTTI, Sirius /DAB etc.).

Thanks,

Thats the Int'l brochure which we are not privy to here. Here they tell us that the car has an engine, paint, a steering wheel and tires. Nothing too mind boggling such as battery size which is critical for reordering and determining how long to charge etc. I was told I could have a 110 Ah battery. I think it depends on option load such as if you have front and rear seat heaters which are a huge draw. Ill find out next week when i bring mine in for a battery that wont take a full charge.
Old 10-27-2006, 08:45 AM
Contributors

Originally Posted by Veight' post='349420' date='Oct 27 2006, 05:38 PM
Thanks,

Thats the Int'l brochure which we are not privy to here. Here they tell us that the car has an engine, paint, a steering wheel and tires. Nothing too mind boggling such as battery size which is critical for reordering and determining how long to charge etc. I was told I could have a 110 Ah battery. I think it depends on option load such as if you have front and rear seat heaters which are a huge draw. Ill find out next week when i bring mine in for a battery that wont take a full charge.
You are welcome.

FWIW - I have front heated seats (on a 535d, which is officially also rated at 90Ah), and it HAS a 90 Ah battery - it's easier to get to the battery on the Touring!

I think the 110 Ah capacity may also be country/region climate related, as a poster from Denmark (who bought his car in Sweden) had one fitted. Maybe it's part of the "Cold Weather" pack? Which may be offered as standard in some regions?
Old 10-27-2006, 08:53 AM
Contributors

Originally Posted by dlevi67' post='349423' date='Oct 27 2006, 11:45 AM
You are welcome.

FWIW - I have front heated seats (on a 535d, which is officially also rated at 90Ah), and it HAS a 90 Ah battery - it's easier to get to the battery on the Touring!

I think the capacity may also be country/region climate related, as a poster from Denmark (who bought his car in Sweden) had one fitted. Maybe it's part of the "Cold Weather" pack? Which may be offered as standard in some regions?
Its interesting how your brochure has a battery info section while the US one doesn't. I may pry open pandora's box tomorrow to see whats hidden inside. I cant wait for the dealer on Monday. Anyway I think mine is going to be replaced.
Old 10-27-2006, 09:02 AM
Contributors

Originally Posted by Veight' post='349424' date='Oct 27 2006, 05:53 PM
Its interesting how your brochure has a battery info section while the US one doesn't. I may pry open pandora's box tomorrow to see whats hidden inside. I cant wait for the dealer on Monday. Anyway I think mine is going to be replaced.
You were having the issue with the clock going out of sinc, weren't you?

Well, if you open the box, then you can claim a discount from the dealer, for saving him all this work. It shouldn't be too difficult to get to the battery (I hope).

The brochure world is weird and wonderful: I have now found - thanks to this thread - that the US brochure has brake specifications (disc diameters, at least) which the EU/International brochures miss out on. God only knows why. As if brakes were only used in the US.
Old 10-27-2006, 09:19 AM
Contributors

Originally Posted by dlevi67' post='349429' date='Oct 27 2006, 12:02 PM
You were having the issue with the clock going out of sinc, weren't you?

Well, if you open the box, then you can claim a discount from the dealer, for saving him all this work. It shouldn't be too difficult to get to the battery (I hope).

The brochure world is weird and wonderful: I have now found - thanks to this thread - that the US brochure has brake specifications (disc diameters, at least) which the EU/International brochures miss out on. God only knows why. As if brakes were only used in the US.

I actually try to minimize the use of my brakes in order to keep the dust down on the wheels. I have had an accumulation of bicycles and old ladies build up in the aero bumper. So your brochure shows battery sizes but not disk brake sizes? Who writes these things anyway. Why don't the get all the brochure writers in a room and get some consistency going.

Quick Reply: What size battery (amps) does a 550 have?