E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

What it means to not have warrantee anymore...

Search this Thread

Old 06-10-2010, 03:35 PM
Contributors

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 2004 BMW 530i - no mods. Pretty basic really. I mean it has tires, windows, and a sweet look, what more could a man want? Honestly, I'd like to improve the sound system mildly, and possibly find a worthy engine mod that would increase my BHP by 100 without giving an arm and a leg for. I don't think it's out there, so I'll stay stock and love driving my 530i.

Why did I think CPO was good for 100K? I knew there was a time and milage restriction, but ignorant me thought I was well within my time limit. Having just 88K miles on my CPO I took it in today for service. Dealer was very nice, so no disregard for the people at Russell BMW in Maryland. Anyway I usually wait until I have a list of things I need/want checked out. The biggest issue was the stupid Anti-Trap window error, which I could not for the life of me reset. Also the brakes were making some squealing nosies. Lastly the window seal around the rear window - yeah that is all dry rotten, so I wanted a quote to get that replaces. So as Bob, very nice guy starts to look though my paper work stops dead. Looks me in the eye with this ohhh shit expression. I ask, something up. He stated all my service warrantees had expired 2 months ago. Extended and CPO warrantee gone - I'm like Fu$K! BTW, had a very sexy E90 335ci loaner with a manual transmission and red leather interior - very nice! Anyway I get a phone call later in the day updating up as to what's going on.

1. Window Anti-Trap - apparently I need a new motor and wipe. They'd gladly charge me $750 for that
2. Front pads practically gone, Rotor, Pad, Sensor needed. Another $750
3. Rear pads and sensor needed replacement, that was roughly $450

All these are guessed quotes, but still my stomach sank with disappointment. My plan were foiled with wanting to take the BMW in before all this stuff expired - now I'm a paying customer. I realize all this stuff can be expensive, but I wasn't really willing or ready to drop almost 2K in the car today... Ya know! So the Disk, Rotors and Sensor isn't really an issue, but the Anti-Trap issue. My main question there is do I really need a new motor? I mean it works fine other then the intervals it takes when I roll it up/down. Has anyone else had a similar experience like this with the window? Really don't like the idea of tossing $750 at the rear window alone!!! Anyway any suggestions would be helpful. I love my car and hate the idea of getting rid of it, so I'm willing to work with it...

Also looked at the new 535 today - not sure what I think of it. Guess I'm on the fence. To me it sort of looks like a 7 series! I'm sure in time it well wear on me, but for now it's a 7 - I'm convinced of it :-)

Thanks!

-Jay
Old 06-10-2010, 05:28 PM
Members

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hello Jay,

Sorry to hear about your situation. You might want to consider doing the brake job yourself. I just did a four wheel brake and rotor job on my 2004 545is in April. Russell will give BMWCCA members a 20% discount on parts, but you still might do better on line. I put AXXIS pads on mine to eliminate the brake dust.
Did you get the quote on the rotting rear window seal? That is a very common problem with E60s. I bought a rear window seal from Russell yesterday. With the BMWCCA discount it cost $35 including tax. They have one more in inventory. I understand it is a half hour DIY installation job if you take your time. I am going to install mine this weekend.

Hope you get your issues resolved. Have you talked to the Service Manager, Mike, or the shop foreman, Gil, they are both good people. Unfortunately they must deal with the BMWNA regional rep, Scott, who is a real prick.
Old 06-10-2010, 05:33 PM
Contributors

Given the low mileage and the fact your warranties are just two months out of coverage

I'd ask the dealership for some good-faith assistance. Clearly these issues didn't come on you all of a sudden! I wonder why they weren't picked up and taken care of at your last service - while you were still covered under warranty? ?
Old 06-10-2010, 05:44 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2004 BMW 530i - no mods. Pretty basic really. I mean it has tires, windows, and a sweet look, what more could a man want? Honestly, I'd like to improve the sound system mildly, and possibly find a worthy engine mod that would increase my BHP by 100 without giving an arm and a leg for. I don't think it's out there, so I'll stay stock and love driving my 530i.

I've talked to Gil a few times. He always does his best for me. They never came back with a quote, but if it's a DIY then I'm all for it. I also have no issues doing the breaks myself, just need to gather up some parts for it. That is where things get a little confusing. There's so much out there, and the idea of using a low dust pad makes me excited :-) The battle of the brake dust has been going on for sometime. I have no doubts that I can fix the brakes and seal now, but the rear window anti-trap still has me baffled. Suppose I'll fix what I can, given some time I'll eventually get back around to the anti-trap issue.

Thanks for the reply and encouraging words. BTW, I do miss Michelle from Russell and was sad to hear she didn't work there anymore - she was a good person to me.

-Jay

Originally Posted by billeul
Hello Jay,

Sorry to hear about your situation. You might want to consider doing the brake job yourself. I just did a four wheel brake and rotor job on my 2004 545is in April. Russell will give BMWCCA members a 20% discount on parts, but you still might do better on line. I put AXXIS pads on mine to eliminate the brake dust.
Did you get the quote on the rotting rear window seal? That is a very common problem with E60s. I bought a rear window seal from Russell yesterday. With the BMWCCA discount it cost $35 including tax. They have one more in inventory. I understand it is a half hour DIY installation job if you take your time. I am going to install mine this weekend.

Hope you get your issues resolved. Have you talked to the Service Manager, Mike, or the shop foreman, Gil, they are both good people. Unfortunately they must deal with the BMWNA regional rep, Scott, who is a real prick.
Old 06-10-2010, 05:47 PM
Contributors

You're right, but at this point I think I'll hold my head up high and walk on. I still have to deal with them for my wifes 330i - plus I have this thing about making a scene when I can't get my way ;-). So instead of making a fool of myself (again) I'm going to just pass and suck it up. They've all been really good to me and I'd love to do business there again.

-Jay

Originally Posted by luigi524td
Given the low mileage and the fact your warranties are just two months out of coverage

I'd ask the dealership for some good-faith assistance. Clearly these issues didn't come on you all of a sudden! I wonder why they weren't picked up and taken care of at your last service - while you were still covered under warranty? ?

Old 06-10-2010, 07:53 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2007 BMW 550, Sport, Navi, PS, CWP, Sirius

Originally Posted by BimmerJay
Why did I think CPO was good for 100K? I knew there was a time and milage restriction, but ignorant me thought I was well within my time limit. Having just 88K miles on my CPO I took it in today for service. Dealer was very nice, so no disregard for the people at Russell BMW in Maryland. Anyway I usually wait until I have a list of things I need/want checked out. The biggest issue was the stupid Anti-Trap window error, which I could not for the life of me reset. Also the brakes were making some squealing nosies. Lastly the window seal around the rear window - yeah that is all dry rotten, so I wanted a quote to get that replaces. So as Bob, very nice guy starts to look though my paper work stops dead. Looks me in the eye with this ohhh shit expression. I ask, something up. He stated all my service warrantees had expired 2 months ago. Extended and CPO warrantee gone - I'm like Fu$K! BTW, had a very sexy E90 335ci loaner with a manual transmission and red leather interior - very nice! Anyway I get a phone call later in the day updating up as to what's going on.

1. Window Anti-Trap - apparently I need a new motor and wipe. They'd gladly charge me $750 for that
2. Front pads practically gone, Rotor, Pad, Sensor needed. Another $750
3. Rear pads and sensor needed replacement, that was roughly $450

All these are guessed quotes, but still my stomach sank with disappointment. My plan were foiled with wanting to take the BMW in before all this stuff expired - now I'm a paying customer. I realize all this stuff can be expensive, but I wasn't really willing or ready to drop almost 2K in the car today... Ya know! So the Disk, Rotors and Sensor isn't really an issue, but the Anti-Trap issue. My main question there is do I really need a new motor? I mean it works fine other then the intervals it takes when I roll it up/down. Has anyone else had a similar experience like this with the window? Really don't like the idea of tossing $750 at the rear window alone!!! Anyway any suggestions would be helpful. I love my car and hate the idea of getting rid of it, so I'm willing to work with it...

Also looked at the new 535 today - not sure what I think of it. Guess I'm on the fence. To me it sort of looks like a 7 series! I'm sure in time it well wear on me, but for now it's a 7 - I'm convinced of it :-)

Thanks!

-Jay
Looks like it is time to say farewell to the old and ugly 2004 E60 and welcome to a new and beautiful 2011 F10!
Old 06-10-2010, 09:05 PM
Members

Originally Posted by luigi524td

CPO dosen't cover brakes so no good-faith assistance is warranted!
Old 06-11-2010, 03:11 AM
Contributors

Originally Posted by JerseyGeorge
CPO dosen't cover brakes so no good-faith assistance is warranted!

But the extended maintenance would have, which also ran out.

I've started pricing brakes, though I am came up with a rough estimate of $602 for everything (Sensors, Pads, Rotors) from Bavarian Autosport. Does anyone else have or suggest a website? I'll also need to pick up some tools to do the job. Mainly a brake piston spreader.

Old 06-11-2010, 03:21 AM
Contributors

My Ride: See my signature

Another option would be to take your ride to an independent mechanic. Surely there is a good one for BMW in the Baltimore-Washington area.

That kind of outrageous pricing is why I continue to lease my cars - and none of your needed repars are major ones.
Old 06-11-2010, 03:58 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2011 F10 535i -Brilliant Graphite/Oyster 2006 E5004matic- I must have been on drugs when I got this car 2004 545i Black Sapphire/Truffle Brown interior

For your window anti- trap there was a reset function that I used to do on my '04 545, you bring the window down all the way and keep holding the button for 10- 15 seconds and then bring the window up to the Top and also hold the button down for same time. Try this before you commit to any service.

If this does not work reverse the order , bring to top first and then bottom, I cannot remember what came first.

Quick Reply: What it means to not have warrantee anymore...