E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

What many of us already knew, BMW HQ confirms

Search this Thread

Old 10-11-2007, 06:15 PM
Contributors

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: (USA) 645Ci, Silver Gray, Chateau, Cold Weather PKG, Premium Sound PKG, Sport PKG, Step, NAV [Std Equip in 645], HUD, Satellite (SIRIUS) Radio, Aux Input, Bluetooth enabled using iPhone 3GS w/ adapter cradle - Build date - 01/05, Baby delivered 2/24/05

Just pulled this SIB.

I have noticed an increase number of issues that seem to line up with what this SIB clearly states is the level of service we here in the USA are seeing. Many more instances of members complaining of things that do not work, problems that go undiagnosed properly and many trips back to the dealer for the same thing (example - cobradav on 2 and 11 October for the SAME DAMN THING). To me this is further support for the axiom "if it ain't broke don't fix it" which I strongly support.

So armed with this lead in, read on my friends and see if you recognize you and your service department. It is, BTW, what I have tried to pass on to many members about why when something does not work or you hear of a new PROGMAN release do not "assume" you have found a "silver bullet" to fix something that does not work on your car yet few, if any, other owners share the same problem. It is a symptom of what this SIB is stating in pretty clear terms. Some may care to arm themselves with this SIB for their next trip in to service for a problem.

SI B 07 10 07
Workshop Environment Systems October 2007
Technical Service

SUBJECT
Importance of Using the Most Current Diagnostic / Programming Software

MODEL
All

SITUATION
A worldwide review indicates that the US market has one of the highest rates of using old (outdated) diagnostic and programming software. This may lead to outdated repair methods, diagnostic steps and programming procedures to be performed, which may result in improper repairs and/or additional repair time.

CORRECTION
Please check now to confirm that all of your diagnostic and programming machines have the latest software installed.

Note: a picture is located here in the actual SIB

For reference at any given time, the latest available software can be found by clicking on "SW Versions Chart" under the Service Information section of the TIS website.

It is equally important that you review your established process to ensure that updates will be loaded in the future in a timely manner.

INFORMATION
Diagnosis:

Using an old version places technicians at a disadvantage by compromising their ability to accurately diagnose and correct a customer complaint, can result in inappropriate repair costs, lowers your opportunity to repair the vehicle right the first time and contributes to customer dissatisfaction.

Technicians also become frustrated in the belief that they did all that they could to find a cause and correction when, had the latest DIS version been used, diagnostic assistance may have been available.

For example, as of October 2007, we see that current production vehicles are being diagnosed using a 2005 version such as DIS V44.0, even though we are now at DIS V51.0. It is not possible that this older diagnostic software would have the appropriate information for a recently produced vehicle.

New releases are published four times per year. Each new release has new test modules and extensive improvements to existing test modules.

Please provide us with diagnostic feedback if you are aware of any problem with the current diagnostic software, including such situations as a test plan not available now that was available with a previous version, a test plan that does not function properly, or any other test plan complaint. This can be done easily - refer to SI B07 07 06 (Diagnosis Feedback) or send an e-mail with complete details to Diagnose.Feedback@bmw.com.

You can understand why we may not answer a PuMA case if the latest software is not used.

Programming:

Programming with an old version risks additional service visits and customer dissatisfaction. There will also be unnecessary repair costs if a control module is needlessly shown in need of replacement because the part number is not recognized.

Similar to diagnosis, many vehicles are being programmed with outdated software. As of October 2007, we see vehicles being programmed with Progman V25.2 instead of the current version Progman V27.1.

There are four main Progman releases per year, with supplementary releases in between. Each new release contains fixes for known problems in existing vehicles and new data for the latest production vehicles.

In cases where programming consistently fails when using the latest Progman version, please submit a PuMA case with complete details.

WARRANTY INFORMATION
We are not fulfilling our obligation to our customers and technicians if the latest diagnostic and programming software levels are not being used.

The use of outdated diagnostic and programming software will be challenged going forward and may result in the denial of warranty repairs.

Please assist us by verifying the installation of the most current software in your workshop so that such denials will not be necessary.

Here is a clean copy for your use as necessary:
SIB_071007.pdf

For clarification the DIS referenced in the quoted SIB above are diagnostic software designed to run on the BMW centers diagnostic hardware and are updated as these same centers find flaws and the factory improves the capabilities. These updates are also included in SIBs to the service centers and list the improvements, fixes and TS techniques to by employed.
Old 10-11-2007, 06:16 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2006 525i, Premium,Cold,Xenon Packages

interesting.. great work cobra as always!!
Old 10-11-2007, 06:40 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2007 530Xi - Navigation, Premium package, Steptronic.

Originally Posted by coolguy' post='480473' date='Oct 11 2007, 10:16 PM
interesting.. great work cobra as always!!
Thanks! I'm taking Mrs. ExGMan's E60 in for first BMW Center oil change on Monday. This will give me a talking point with SA.
Old 10-11-2007, 07:20 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 545iSMGSilver GrayAuburn Dakota LeatherLogic 7 Premium SoundSports Package

Interesting...
Old 10-11-2007, 08:12 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: 11 550i Sophisto Gray/Oyster Black/Anthracite, Sprt Trns, DHP, IAS, SP, PP1, PP2, CWP, HUD, DAP, AVSP, SF RS, CA, ACC - Euro Del

My son gets terrible service in LA at Pacific BMW on his 330, the fix the problem maybe 50% of the time on the first attempt. They do customer surveys afterwards. He tells them that the problem still was not fixed. He is told that a service rep will be in touch to fix the problem. No one follows up. Pacific BMW is a very weak dealership.
Old 10-11-2007, 09:15 PM
Members

My Ride: 04' 525i

These Bulletins are always so interesting and informative. Are we able to bring these to our Service Advisors and ask what they're doing to fix the problem or are the bulletins strickly for BMW employees?
Old 10-11-2007, 09:23 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 545iSMGSilver GrayAuburn Dakota LeatherLogic 7 Premium SoundSports Package

You can bring it... they can be purchased at www.bmwtis.com
Old 10-12-2007, 02:00 AM
Contributors

My Ride: (USA) 645Ci, Silver Gray, Chateau, Cold Weather PKG, Premium Sound PKG, Sport PKG, Step, NAV [Std Equip in 645], HUD, Satellite (SIRIUS) Radio, Aux Input, Bluetooth enabled using iPhone 3GS w/ adapter cradle - Build date - 01/05, Baby delivered 2/24/05

Originally Posted by Jay-Jay' post='480530' date='Oct 12 2007, 01:15 AM
These Bulletins are always so interesting and informative. Are we able to bring these to our Service Advisors and ask what they're doing to fix the problem or are the bulletins strickly for BMW employees?
Use as necessary including taking with you to dealer. That's why I post as pdf file so you can have a clean copy to show dealer if needed. Posting the contents in the post it self is so search engine can find based on key words and for those (few) that may not have Adobe reader or other reason to not be able to download.

However, use in a judicious manner. Don?t go ranting and raving into the dealer and challenge them. Personally, I use to build a rapport with the SA. I even found one that enabled the SA to get a finders fee for signing me up for something and he got a check from BMW (also for about 4-5 other customers as well). You need to build a trusting relationship. You?ll get more out of it.
Old 10-12-2007, 04:54 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: E90 330i + E60 550i

sadly that is the case with many dealerships...including mine. You are forced to give them all 5's or you risk getting the shaft on your next service visit. Its like pulling teeeth with some dealers, which is insane, because they get paid for warranty work!---mine will throw in the occasional ghost problem, so they can rack up the service ticket
Old 10-12-2007, 05:42 AM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by cobradav' post='480568' date='Oct 12 2007, 06:00 AM
I even found one that enabled the SA to get a finders fee for signing me up for something and he got a check from BMW (also for about 4-5 other customers as well). You need to build a trusting relationship. You'll get more out of it.
What was that for?

Quick Reply: What many of us already knew, BMW HQ confirms