E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

What kind of Antifreeze?

Old 11-10-2011, 04:59 PM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The expansion tank on my 2007 525xi is a little low when cold. I want to top it up to the "cold full" mark. Does this car take a special type of antifreeze, or will any "works well with any type of antifreeze" I buy at the local China-Mart work?

Sorry for a somewhat basic post, but I've done a few quick searches and didn't come up with an answer.

Thanks!
Old 11-10-2011, 07:01 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: 04' 545i, Sport Package, Black, Active Xenon, ARS, Aux Input '10 Tahoe, Black on Black, leather, Nav/XM, 20" tires, full body kit, power 2nd row, loaded '93 Jeep Wrangler, lifted 4.5", 33" meats, Rampage Recovery Bumper w/Tire Swing, etc 25' Aquasport Osprey, Center Console,2012 200 HO Etec

BMW antifreeze...
Old 11-11-2011, 04:59 AM
Members
Senior Members

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My Ride: 545i sport
Model Year: 2004

Any brand coolant (anti-freeze in winter will be fine in a BMW. Most, if not all, coolants now-a-days are phosphate free and compatible with aluminum engine components. BMW coolant would be my last choice as it is not of the long lasting type and should be replaced every two years. Use an extended life coolant and go ahead and mix it with the BMW coolant. Unless of course you just like the blue color and higher cost of the BMW coolant.
Old 11-11-2011, 05:43 AM
Contributors

Try this as an additional source of information.

http://www.whitfieldoil.com/download...ationChart.pdf
Old 11-11-2011, 06:34 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2004 545i, 6-speed Manual, Silver Grey Metallic, Grey Dakota Leather, Cold Weather Pkg, Premium Sound Pkg, Sport Pkg, Lumbar Support

Originally Posted by saxart
Does this car take a special type of antifreeze, or will any "works well with any type of antifreeze"
Well, in mine, the fluid is blue and I've never seen any blue antifreeze in stores. My opinion is that it is not a good idea to mix different formulations, so I'd try and get some matching fluid from BMW.

That said, if you only have to top off a little bit, why not just put in some distilled water? Unless you live in a harsh cold climate, you probably would not hurt anything with that approach.

Finally, you might want to inspect the coolant lines and water pump for signs of leaks. It may require pulling off the belly pan to view the lines coming out of the radiator.
Old 11-11-2011, 09:25 AM
Members

Many modern coolants are amine-, borax-, nitrite-, and phosphate-free. Some are also silicate-free, but BMW's coolant contains some amount of silicates, presumably for protection of the aluminum in the block and head(s). It also appears to be a "Hybrid Organic Acid Technology" (HOAT) formula, suggesting it could be good for up to five years.

Coolants for our Honda and for our old Subaru are also blue, but I doubt they're the same formula. Personally, I like changing my vehicles' coolant every three years. It's a bit aggravating to have to periodically hunt down the various manufacturers' "recommended" coolants, but, compared to what I spend on the car payments, taxes, registration, insurance, safety inspections, emissions tests, fuel, engine oil and filters, tires, and other maintenance and repair items, the small additional cost for the recommended fluids is something I've decided to accept.

HTH,
Jim / crewzer
Old 11-11-2011, 09:49 AM
Members

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Don't use any type of antifreeze.
The correct type approved for BMW is G11 or the succesor - G48.
Old 11-11-2011, 03:08 PM
Senior Members

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
My Ride: E60 530i

Originally Posted by DavidF
Any brand coolant (anti-freeze in winter will be fine in a BMW. Most, if not all, coolants now-a-days are phosphate free and compatible with aluminum engine components. BMW coolant would be my last choice as it is not of the long lasting type and should be replaced every two years. Use an extended life coolant and go ahead and mix it with the BMW coolant. Unless of course you just like the blue color and higher cost of the BMW coolant.
+1 Any coolant will work...they're really the same thing. Glycol is glycol. Unless you like the blue or red color lol. Really doesn't matter. BMW claims their coolant is "special" because it lubricates the hoses....I know this is BS so I don't fall for it. Now oil is completely different story...
Old 11-11-2011, 09:43 PM
Members

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Pay attention, different types of coolant do not mix, otherwise the coolant can up-foam and the cooling of the engine is endangered.
More info: http://donsnotes.com/home_garden/auto/antifreeze.html
Old 11-12-2011, 12:16 AM
Senior Members

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
My Ride: E60 530i

Originally Posted by C_o_s_m_i_n
Pay attention, different types of coolant do not mix, otherwise the coolant can up-foam and the cooling of the engine is endangered.
More info: http://donsnotes.com...antifreeze.html
We're talking about coolants sold in the U.S. here. The BMW coolant...if he even has that will mix just fine. In fact I still have a 1999 E39 I've been using a standard coolant on and never had one single cooling/heating issue on that M52 engine. And I've been doing the same in every BMW for the past 10 years. All BMW owners I know have also been doing this. So I have to disagree with you and suggest a different route.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: What kind of Antifreeze?