E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

What is ideal tire pressure for run flats

Search this Thread

Old 01-18-2005, 12:57 AM
stu
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

BB530D - steps out heh?
What tyres do you have ? I have Dunlop DSST and the grip is impressive ... I get mild understeer - and can't budge the back at all unless its very greasy on the road!
The ride is lousy - and seems to be getting worse, but the grip is fine. (18" 124 style)
Old 01-18-2005, 03:19 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: GONE BUT NOT FOGOTTEN : 530d SE Auto : Titanium Grey / Anthracite Leather, Poplar Trim, 18in 123 Style Alloys, Adaptive Bi-Xenons, Business Nav, Hi-Fi Speaker Package, Heated seats, Split-Fold Rear Seats LR DISCO 3 HSE with everything (including 3 kids)

Originally Posted by dfndr' date='Jan 17 2005, 01:46 AM
Has anybody experimented with different tire pressures for the OEM run flats to try to find an ideal pressure that balances handling, ride and noise?
[snapback]79890[/snapback]
I believe that i have notcied some big differences in the ride comfort with different pressure levels but I could not really give any hard numbers.

My car was recently in the dealers getting the FTM looked at and they reset all of my tyre pressures. Afterwards I really felt a difference - unfortunately I did not measure what they were set at

On the whole I am not impressed with these tyres although I'm not unimpressed with them either. The saftey factor of them probably tips the balance towards keeping them.
Old 01-18-2005, 04:26 PM
JDN
Contributors

This morning with the tire temp below freezing, I noticed a pretty bumpy ride. I never did go far enought to warm them up. I think temperature is a much bigger factor than softening the tire pressure data on the driver door post.
Old 01-18-2005, 06:09 PM
Members

My Ride: MY 2004 545i; April build; 6 speed; silver grey metalic; black leather; poplar; sport package; cold weather; active steering; xenons .

Temp here was about 14F today. The RF tires were noticably loud and unforgiving. I have 10k on mine. I don't think they are suffering from excessive wear, but I am going to measure the tread depth.
Old 01-30-2005, 02:51 AM
Gintonic

Originally Posted by BangleBox_530d' date='Jan 17 2005, 05:17 PM
I'm thinking about playing with them.

Not happy with the grip of the rear tyres. Might just be the torque of the diesel engine, but the back end steps out at odd occasions.

Probably will try loweringt he pressures slightly first. But not for a month or so just yet.
[snapback]80155[/snapback]
Old 01-30-2005, 02:52 AM
Gin Tonic

I too feel the back of my 525D steps out of line a bit too often. I had a 320D before and that was so good.

Please tell me how your tire pressure experiments go
Old 01-30-2005, 04:47 AM
JDN
Contributors

Originally Posted by jefferysf' date='Jan 17 2005, 07:29 PM
I ran 38 psi all around but the tires were harsh even at 32. They get noisy because the large tread blocks wear at a slight angle. This is sometimes called feathering or cupping. Rotation of the tires left-to-right evens out this wear and reduces the noise. BMW does not condone rotation for some vague reason.
[snapback]80212[/snapback]
Reckon it could be because they are directional?
Old 01-30-2005, 05:04 AM
Members

My Ride: MY 2004 545i; April build; 6 speed; silver grey metalic; black leather; poplar; sport package; cold weather; active steering; xenons .

I reported the run flat tire problems (noisy and hard) to my dealer and asked them to find out whether BMWNA and or Dunlop would replace them. The shop forman drove the car and agreed that the tires are unusually loud and harsh. He and the service manager said they would get back to me. A few days later, my SA called to say that they wanted me to leave my car for a full day anytime after February 14. I asked why. He said they want to take another look at the tires and record the serial numbers. I asked whether I could wait while they do that. He said they really do need the car for a whole day. I suspect this means that someone from BMWNA and or Dunlop is coming to take a look.
Old 01-30-2005, 09:40 AM
Senior Members

DFNDR good luck..you may get new tires for free
Old 01-30-2005, 12:09 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2009 550i sports, Nav, logic Best E60 yet 2004 545i, sports pkg, logic 7 steptronic, rear shade,orient blue with beige interior, blue tooth enabled Razer Phone. 2004 X5 3.0, sports pkg, stepronic, summer pkg. imola red. 2006 Mini Cooper S, manual, sports, prem pkg, nav and kitchen sink.

Originally Posted by dfndr' date='Jan 30 2005, 10:04 AM
I reported the run flat tire problems (noisy and hard) to my dealer and asked them to find out whether BMWNA and or Dunlop would replace them.? The shop forman drove the car and agreed that the tires are unusually loud and harsh.? He and the service manager said they would get back to me.? A few days later, my SA called to say that they wanted me to leave my car for a full day anytime after February 14.? I asked why.? He said they want to take another look at the tires and record the serial numbers.? I asked whether I could wait while they do that.? He said they really do need the car for a whole day.? I suspect this means that someone from BMWNA and or Dunlop is coming to take a look.
[snapback]84762[/snapback]

How many miles on those tires, what is your production date and what preasure do you keep you tires at. I've got 4000 miles, 08/04 build and have settled at 32F 35R. I'm still not sure how I feel about these tires.

Quick Reply: What is ideal tire pressure for run flats