E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

What I won't miss about the E60

Search this Thread

Old 04-21-2007, 07:53 AM
ipp
Senior Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 07' 530d - M-Sport - Titanium Silver / Black Dakota leather 08' 120i - M-Sport - Alpine White III / Black Sensatec

Originally Posted by AC_S5' post='416218' date='Apr 21 2007, 04:03 AM
I think if you can afford a 545 then gas is certainly not a problem.
I don't think his choice has to do with money. Buying a hybrid is a environmental statement, which should be shown respect, not being laughed out.

Old 04-21-2007, 09:48 AM
Members

Originally Posted by TXPearl' post='416036' date='Apr 20 2007, 11:11 AM
To be honest, I generally agree with what you're saying - makes me wonder if BMWs are worth the trouble anymore.

My lease is up at the end of the year, and my mind is very open to alternatives (Infiniti G and M series both get very good reviews). However the siren song of the LCI 550i is very tempting. Maybe if they fix the slow i-drive issue.....
Drive them they are not BMW's.
Old 04-21-2007, 10:41 AM
Contributors

My Ride: In a place where the Mercedes density is the highest in the world (no. of MB per square kilometer) I choose a Bimmer, why? because of one thing "The Ultimate Driving Experience" My Ride: 523i Steptronic, Silver Grey Exterior, Black Interior with Black Dakota Leather and Maple Wood Trim. Chrome Grill, Style 123 rim, Airbags everywhere, PDC, Rain sensor, Auto lights, Moveable front armrest, Advance Climate Control, Glass Sunroof, Auto dimming interior and exterior mirror with foldable functions, Extended Lights package, 6 CD changer in glove box, Power seats with memory, Power adjustable steering wheel, Power rear sunblinds. Add ons: 123 wheels, chrome grill, K&N Hi flow filter, Eibach Pro Kit, e60.net decal and 24,000km Past rides: 2001 Nissan Xterra SE 1999 E39 523i 1999 E46 323i 1996 Acura Integra LS

Originally Posted by ipp' post='416307' date='Apr 21 2007, 11:53 PM
I don't think his choice has to do with money. Buying a hybrid is a environmental statement, which should be shown respect, not being laughed out.

Did I laugh at him? Did you read the post before yours? Being environmental friendly should be respected, Yes. Comparing a BMW with a Civic, No.

I make the comment because he's saying is a waste of resource driving the 545 everyday and I agree with him, but I am trying to say that those that buy a 545 or 550 obviously don't think their car is wasting resource (or maybe they don't have that concept) and price of gas doesn't bothr them, if so then they wouldn't have gotten the car in the first place.

Anyways there's alot of other choice for Hybrid cars.

The Accord Hybrid, Camry Hybrid, Highlander Hybrid, GS Hybrid, RX Hybrid.

If I were switching away I would have choose the GS or the Accord. Whatever the reason behind the change, only the owner knows.

P.S. How about this as an environmental statement - "Public Transport" That's how I go to work everyday.
Old 04-21-2007, 11:13 AM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by ipp' post='416307' date='Apr 21 2007, 04:53 PM
Buying a hybrid is a environmental statement
But an unresearched one. Here's just one view of many http://www.liberator.net/articles/Liberato...idvehicles.html

I wonder if these purchasers understand the energy and environmental impact of building and disposal of the the batteries...

ABC
Old 04-21-2007, 12:36 PM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by aybeesea' post='416344' date='Apr 21 2007, 01:13 PM
But an unresearched one. Here's just one view of many http://www.liberator.net/articles/Liberato...idvehicles.html

I wonder if these purchasers understand the energy and environmental impact of building and disposal of the the batteries...

ABC
Oh please. That article is an unresearched piece of crap. To say a hybrid costs $5000 more than a gas vehicle - just go to Honda and compare a Civic EX and a Hybrid - $2000 difference. Then he ramples on about nuclear energy and fossil fuels ... as if hybrids ran on electricity from the power grid. And then somewhere $200 *15 = $5000 ... and to not take in the time value of money....

And does anyone really believe that batteries of that size are disposed of ... they will be recycled.

There are numerous ridiculous articles about hybrids including a relatively infamous one that claims a Hummer uses less resources than a Prius over a lifespan. There are enough of these that one makes a neoconservative think that maybe there is an auto maker/oil company conspiracy out there...

Anyway - my original point was that an E60 has enough issues that one (me) can find something(s) in a Honda Civic that are better. I didn't get into the numerous cubby holes and the amazing cup holders or the better ride quality (all of the Civic) but I could have.

Some replies - PDC does lag and has to be shut off everytime you go in reverse. Yes - you can program the door locks but you can't program them to unlock when going into park (like the vast majority of modern cars do) - so you wind up double pulling the handle - just like you did on the E39. It is annoying from someone who didn't always have it that way..... And while I am gripping - what is the purpose of having to have your foot on the brake - I mean really - is the car going to lurch forward in park?????
Old 04-21-2007, 12:52 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: 06 530XI Sapphire Black, Black Int. 6sp, Cold, Prem

Yes, if we all drive hybrids, we can stop global warming, the melting of the ice caps, and maybe put Al Gore in the White House. What I find amusing, is that the Ice Age ended 11,000 years ago or did it? What happened 11,000 years ago to end the Ice Age, too many gas guzzling E60's on the road?
Old 04-21-2007, 01:34 PM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by 300TTto545' post='416360' date='Apr 21 2007, 09:36 PM
Then he ramples on about .. fossil fuels ... as if hybrids ran on electricity from the power grid.
Last time I looked, petrol was a fossil fuel. There would be no charge in the batteries if it weren't for the chemical energy from petrol changing to kinetic energy (somewhat inneficiently) so the the hybrid batteries could be charged from the braking energy.

Oh, another one, maybe better "researched":

http://www.pacificresearch.org/pub/enotes/...l/enote_04.html

As for "recycling" - another energy-efficient process?

ABC
Old 04-21-2007, 01:39 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 545iSMGSilver GrayAuburn Dakota LeatherLogic 7 Premium SoundSports Package

WOW! what a change... to a civic? Eeeek. Did you consider the Lexus GS450h? Toyota Camry Hybrid? Accord Hybrid? Civic????
Old 04-22-2007, 08:26 AM
Contributors

My Ride: In a place where the Mercedes density is the highest in the world (no. of MB per square kilometer) I choose a Bimmer, why? because of one thing "The Ultimate Driving Experience" My Ride: 523i Steptronic, Silver Grey Exterior, Black Interior with Black Dakota Leather and Maple Wood Trim. Chrome Grill, Style 123 rim, Airbags everywhere, PDC, Rain sensor, Auto lights, Moveable front armrest, Advance Climate Control, Glass Sunroof, Auto dimming interior and exterior mirror with foldable functions, Extended Lights package, 6 CD changer in glove box, Power seats with memory, Power adjustable steering wheel, Power rear sunblinds. Add ons: 123 wheels, chrome grill, K&N Hi flow filter, Eibach Pro Kit, e60.net decal and 24,000km Past rides: 2001 Nissan Xterra SE 1999 E39 523i 1999 E46 323i 1996 Acura Integra LS

I am just curious, why you like the feature when you put the car in park the doors unlock?

GM have it on their car like ten years ago and I still think it's not a good feature at all, I am thinking security issue. People could just walk up to your car and open your door if your car unlock the minute you put it into park, I think that's why there's so many car jacking and high speed pursuit of stolen vehicle in America because of this feature

I even think that unlocking once you shut off ignition is not good, I mean I love remote control on TV but unlocking in park that's too much. Maybe that's why there's so many drive thur in the States.
Old 04-22-2007, 09:49 AM
Members

My Ride: 520d saloon, manual 6 ratios, olivin metallic, star spoke 122 alloys, delete boot badge, bi-xenon adaptive headlights including washers, graduated tinted windscreen, exterior and interior mirror auto dimming plus electric folding door mirrors, extended light package, dakota beige leather, dark poplar wood, electric seat adjustment including memory function, heated front seats, advanced climate control, velour floor mats, sliding front armrest, lumbar support for front seats.

Originally Posted by 300TTto545' post='416360' date='Apr 21 2007, 09:36 PM
Oh please. That article is an unresearched piece of crap.

Yes - you can program the door locks but you can't program them to unlock when going into park (like the vast majority of modern cars do) - so you wind up double pulling the handle - just like you did on the E39. It is annoying from someone who didn't always have it that way.....
Another one who's succumbed to the environmental ruination government and multi-billion dollar green industry propaganda.

As for the locks - I don't quite understand the big issue. As soon as I remove the key fob after cutting the engine the car unlocks automatically allowing me to exit without the tiresome double pull. Surely this is all you want as it's mainly only when the engine is turned off that you want to get out. I wouldn't want the car to unlock every time a stopped in traffic and went into Park - if I had an automatic. :thumbsdown: That would be a security nightmare in some cities....

Quick Reply: What I won't miss about the E60