E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

What I won't miss about the E60

Search this Thread

Old 04-20-2007, 10:54 AM
Senior Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I gotta tell ya. I've been part of this board for almost four years now and this has got to be one of the most bizarre posts that I've read.

I LOVE Honda products. The Civic Hybrid is a marvel. But isn't this a bit like comparing fresh water trout and hoover vacuum cleaners?
Old 04-20-2007, 11:09 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2007 Mercedes Benz e63 AMG

Originally Posted by TXPearl' post='416036' date='Apr 20 2007, 12:11 PM
To be honest, I generally agree with what you're saying - makes me wonder if BMWs are worth the trouble anymore.

My lease is up at the end of the year, and my mind is very open to alternatives (Infiniti G and M series both get very good reviews).
Having owned a G before, all I will say is that if you think the BMW's are trouble, just wait until you deal with the quality built into every Infiniti...er, "Nissan". You've never known so many rattles, electrical shorts or cheap feeling buttons, along with a service department of constantly changing faces and quick fixes. I liked the M45 sport, but wouldnt even consider it after my last experience.

I think my 550 was a little more expensive than I should have paid for it, but it drives like a million bucks.

As to the original poster, my neighbor sold his IS350 for a Civic Hybrid. He enjoyed the increase in gas mileage for a few months, but now is very sad to be pushing 160 HP up and down the highway, even if he does get 30+ mpg. There are trade offs for everything in life. Since you did get an early 545, you missed on some things that are now standard. I've got an iPod jack, doors that unlock in accordance with my programming, and PDC that i can turn off. It feels like an expensive car, in my opinion.

Comparing the two cars is definitely odd, but all that really matters is that you're happy - if so, then congrats!
Old 04-20-2007, 11:36 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2006 550i - Titanium Silver, Step, Black Interior, Sports Pkg.,CWP,Comfort Access, Nav, Premium Sound, Sat. Radio

Originally Posted by hinckley' post='416082' date='Apr 20 2007, 01:54 PM
I gotta tell ya. I've been part of this board for almost four years now and this has got to be one of the most bizarre posts that I've read.

I LOVE Honda products. The Civic Hybrid is a marvel. But isn't this a bit like comparing fresh water trout and hoover vacuum cleaners?
I couldn't agree more! I like Honda's as well, but comparing a civic to a 545i?
Old 04-20-2007, 05:39 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2006 BMW 550i "Ben Hogan's 5 Iron" SilverGrey/Black Sport, L7, NAV, CW, AS, Split FR 2003 Audi A4 3.0 CVT "Part of the Moniker" Silver/Ebony, Prem, CW, Star 17s

Originally Posted by TXPearl' post='416036' date='Apr 20 2007, 11:11 AM
To be honest, I generally agree with what you're saying - makes me wonder if BMWs are worth the trouble anymore.

My lease is up at the end of the year, and my mind is very open to alternatives (Infiniti G and M series both get very good reviews). However the siren song of the LCI 550i is very tempting. Maybe if they fix the slow i-drive issue.....

Did you really buy the E60 for the I-drive?????
Old 04-20-2007, 05:41 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2006 BMW 550i "Ben Hogan's 5 Iron" SilverGrey/Black Sport, L7, NAV, CW, AS, Split FR 2003 Audi A4 3.0 CVT "Part of the Moniker" Silver/Ebony, Prem, CW, Star 17s

Originally Posted by hinckley' post='416082' date='Apr 20 2007, 01:54 PM

I'm thinking the same thing!! Kinda like that Body Snatcher Movie. Hope that doesn't happen to me.
Old 04-20-2007, 05:54 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: 06 530XI Sapphire Black, Black Int. 6sp, Cold, Prem

E60 to a Honda Hybrid, wsup with that? Culture shock man!
Old 04-20-2007, 06:03 PM
Contributors

My Ride: In a place where the Mercedes density is the highest in the world (no. of MB per square kilometer) I choose a Bimmer, why? because of one thing "The Ultimate Driving Experience" My Ride: 523i Steptronic, Silver Grey Exterior, Black Interior with Black Dakota Leather and Maple Wood Trim. Chrome Grill, Style 123 rim, Airbags everywhere, PDC, Rain sensor, Auto lights, Moveable front armrest, Advance Climate Control, Glass Sunroof, Auto dimming interior and exterior mirror with foldable functions, Extended Lights package, 6 CD changer in glove box, Power seats with memory, Power adjustable steering wheel, Power rear sunblinds. Add ons: 123 wheels, chrome grill, K&N Hi flow filter, Eibach Pro Kit, e60.net decal and 24,000km Past rides: 2001 Nissan Xterra SE 1999 E39 523i 1999 E46 323i 1996 Acura Integra LS

Originally Posted by Klepper' post='416099' date='Apr 21 2007, 03:36 AM
I couldn't agree more! I like Honda's as well, but comparing a civic to a 545i?
Exactly! I have a Honda bike too and I like their cars, but saying the Civic is just as good as a 545 I think if you can afford a 545 then gas is certainly not a problem. However, I do agree that 545 is a waste of resource so that's why we have and I own a 523 and research shows that Hybrid car are just not that better off if you compare the resource that it's used to produce them in the first place.

I think the PDC works wonder, I've never hit anything in the confine space in HK and I think in North America space are way more generous then here. I've rented a Caprice and I've never hit anything, the key is park using a slower speed. If you think that having PDC means you can avoid everything in your garage then you are wrong, bottom line is there's still judgement involve from the driver, the PDC is just an aid.

Anyways as long as you are happy, that's the most important thing.
Old 04-20-2007, 06:37 PM
Members

My Ride: 2007 530i, white/black manual, sports package, nav, PDC, etc.

I'm curious about one thing. I wouldn't by modern car without PDC. How did you hit anything backing into the garage. I've had an E39 and currently own an E60 and the sensors are invaluable, if a bit over sensitive. Now, they don't protect the side of the car, but they do protect the front and back.

Robert A

Originally Posted by 300TTto545' post='416025' date='Apr 20 2007, 08:49 AM
So I finally swapped my lease on my 545 (after 2.5 years). I am now the proud owner of a Honda Civic Hybrid. 2nd tank 51.4 mpg....

So now that I drive a "lesser" car I thought of all the thing I won't miss ... and those I will

What I won't miss - PDC - Never wanted it - it was surprisingly included on a '05 545 (I order prior to knowing that). It is annoying every time I backed into the garage. I still occassionally hit a few things - it didn't help....

I drive - liked the interface. Hated the speed. The latest software (1/07) was even slower - and BMW blamed it on the cold. It wasn't just the temperature - it was slower. I can't stand not having the radio for the 15-20 seconds it took to wake up...

The double clutch on the door locks. Just unlock when you put it in park - just like my Honda.

Lack of MP3 and IPOD interface. I wasn't about to pay for things that should be included.

What I do miss - in everyday (not spirited) driving - Auto rain sensor. Comfort seats (but the Honda's aren't bad). No question e60.net is much better than civic forums....

So all in all - the day to day drive is pretty much a wash between the 2 cars. I spend less than 1/2 the time at gas stations. The BMW did handle a bit better, was more stable at illegal speeds and was obviously faster but what a waste of resources for the day to day.....
Old 04-21-2007, 12:52 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2007 Mercedes Benz e63 AMG

Originally Posted by CVTBenhogan' post='416215' date='Apr 20 2007, 09:41 PM
I'm thinking the same thing!! Kinda like that Body Snatcher Movie. Hope that doesn't happen to me.
That's funny!
Old 04-21-2007, 07:13 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2006 550 SMG

Honda Civic Compared to a BMW 545..HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

Quick Reply: What I won't miss about the E60