E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

What I won't miss about the E60

Search this Thread

Old 04-20-2007, 07:49 AM
Senior Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

So I finally swapped my lease on my 545 (after 2.5 years). I am now the proud owner of a Honda Civic Hybrid. 2nd tank 51.4 mpg....

So now that I drive a "lesser" car I thought of all the thing I won't miss ... and those I will

What I won't miss - PDC - Never wanted it - it was surprisingly included on a '05 545 (I order prior to knowing that). It is annoying every time I backed into the garage. I still occassionally hit a few things - it didn't help....

I drive - liked the interface. Hated the speed. The latest software (1/07) was even slower - and BMW blamed it on the cold. It wasn't just the temperature - it was slower. I can't stand not having the radio for the 15-20 seconds it took to wake up...

The double clutch on the door locks. Just unlock when you put it in park - just like my Honda.

Lack of MP3 and IPOD interface. I wasn't about to pay for things that should be included.

What I do miss - in everyday (not spirited) driving - Auto rain sensor. Comfort seats (but the Honda's aren't bad). No question e60.net is much better than civic forums....

So all in all - the day to day drive is pretty much a wash between the 2 cars. I spend less than 1/2 the time at gas stations. The BMW did handle a bit better, was more stable at illegal speeds and was obviously faster but what a waste of resources for the day to day.....
Old 04-20-2007, 07:57 AM
Members

My Ride: 2004 530i Titanium Silver Metallic w/ gray leather Premium Package, Cold Weather Package, navigation, iPod retrofit

Sorry to read that you sold out.
Old 04-20-2007, 08:09 AM
Contributors

My Ride: BMW 545iA Black Sapphire
Model Year: 2005
Engine: 545i

Originally Posted by 300TTto545' post='416025' date='Apr 20 2007, 05:49 PM
So I finally swapped my lease on my 545 (after 2.5 years). I am now the proud owner of a Honda Civic Hybrid. 2nd tank 51.4 mpg....

So now that I drive a "lesser" car I thought of all the thing I won't miss ... and those I will

What I won't miss - PDC - Never wanted it - it was surprisingly included on a '05 545 (I order prior to knowing that). It is annoying every time I backed into the garage. I still occassionally hit a few things - it didn't help....

I drive - liked the interface. Hated the speed. The latest software (1/07) was even slower - and BMW blamed it on the cold. It wasn't just the temperature - it was slower. I can't stand not having the radio for the 15-20 seconds it took to wake up...

The double clutch on the door locks. Just unlock when you put it in park - just like my Honda.

Lack of MP3 and IPOD interface. I wasn't about to pay for things that should be included.

What I do miss - in everyday (not spirited) driving - Auto rain sensor. Comfort seats (but the Honda's aren't bad). No question e60.net is much better than civic forums....

So all in all - the day to day drive is pretty much a wash between the 2 cars. I spend less than 1/2 the time at gas stations. The BMW did handle a bit better, was more stable at illegal speeds and was obviously faster but what a waste of resources for the day to day.....
Sorry to see you go man... ( another e60 veteran ! )

all the best
Old 04-20-2007, 08:11 AM
Members

To be honest, I generally agree with what you're saying - makes me wonder if BMWs are worth the trouble anymore.

My lease is up at the end of the year, and my mind is very open to alternatives (Infiniti G and M series both get very good reviews). However the siren song of the LCI 550i is very tempting. Maybe if they fix the slow i-drive issue.....
Old 04-20-2007, 08:19 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2004 545i 6 spd Sports Package | NAV | PDC | Logic 7 | BT retrofit | SW V13.3

Originally Posted by TXPearl' post='416036' date='Apr 20 2007, 09:11 AM
To be honest, I generally agree with what you're saying - makes me wonder if BMWs are worth the trouble anymore.

My lease is up at the end of the year, and my mind is very open to alternatives (Infiniti G and M series both get very good reviews). However the siren song of the LCI 550i is very tempting. Maybe if they fix the slow i-drive issue.....
They have fixed it 90% I picked up my car yesterday after CIP25x. Nice graphics, no more CD run on, search for information by spelling and considerably more responsive. The phone still takes 30 seconds to pair unlike 3 series where its instant, but a vast improvement.
Old 04-20-2007, 08:25 AM
Members

Originally Posted by Hormazd' post='416037' date='Apr 20 2007, 11:19 AM
They have fixed it 90% I picked up my car yesterday after CIP25x. Nice graphics, no more CD run on, search for information by spelling and considerably more responsive. The phone still takes 30 seconds to pair unlike 3 series where its instant, but a vast improvement.
300TTto545, you should have waited a little longer.

I must go for CIP upgrade soon.

By the way Hormazd, I also hate the '08 550i sport wheels. They'll be a pain to keep clean as well.
Old 04-20-2007, 08:49 AM
Contributors

My Ride: My ex-ride: EU '08 LCI 520dA. Space Grey, Sport Seats in Black Leather/Fabric Anthracite, Sport Steering Wheel, A/C with Extended Features, Hi-Fi Speakers, Cup Holders, Cruise with Braking function, Folding Rear Seats, Xenons, Park Distance Control.

Sure 300TTto545,

Enjoy your Honda Civic Hybrid.

Did you know that the new 2.0 d BMW engine (177 hp) produces only 130 Co / 100 km?

5 litres of diesel per 100 km.

Calculate, my friend! The Hybrid only makes toxic waste.
Old 04-20-2007, 09:23 AM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by TXPearl' post='416036' date='Apr 20 2007, 05:11 PM
Decisions decisions. Cup holders, reflectors...

ABC
Old 04-20-2007, 09:31 AM
Members

My Ride: 2004 5.30i Saphire Black on Auburn, Sports Pckg, Premium Pckg, Sound Pckg, HUD, Cold Weather Pckg, Heated Rear Seats, Electronic Rear Window Shade, Foldable Rear Seats with Ski Bag, European Reflectors, Active Steering, PDC, 19" AC Schnitzer Type II, Front: 245/35, Rear: 275/30 Toyo T1S, H&R Sports Springs, 35% Tinted Windows, B&B exhaust w/ custom straight pipe

Originally Posted by 300TTto545' post='416025' date='Apr 20 2007, 11:49 AM

Did your PDC lag? The PDC does make you lazy, and there were a few times where I have come close to hitting some things because of the lagging.
I agree with the I drive. sometimes its so damn slow.
I'm thinking of selling mine in a few months, and the one thing I will miss the most is the HUD. Feels weird without it.
Old 04-20-2007, 09:43 AM
Members

My Ride: 2007 550i Auto, monaco blue met., black Dakota leather, burl walnut trim, sport package, active steering, Navi, HUD, cold weather package, comfort access, heated rear seats, rear sunshades, rear side air bags, rear deck spoiler, Logic 7 w/CD changer,
Model Year: 2007

Originally Posted by Ricracing' post='416048' date='Apr 20 2007, 12:49 PM
Sure 300TTto545,

Enjoy your Honda Civic Hybrid.

Did you know that the new 2.0 d BMW engine (177 hp) produces only 130 Co / 100 km?

5 litres of diesel per 100 km.

Calculate, my friend! The Hybrid only makes toxic waste.
Unfortunately no diesels available in the US. Nonetheless, if someone is keen on gas mileage in city traffic, the Honda Civic may be the way to go. I use my 550i almost exclusively for long trips. And if you drive 300 miles non stop in a Civic compared to the 5er with multicontour seats I bet your lower back will tell you the difference.

For the daily commute I'm lucky enought to be able to take the bus (how's this for the environment?). If I'd had to go to work by car every day I'd probably have picked a 530.

Quick Reply: What I won't miss about the E60