E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

What is everyones gripe with Idrive?

Search this Thread

Old 05-07-2005, 12:32 PM
Contributors

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 2002 330CIC with Sports and Premium (Sold 4/2005) 2005 545I Black Saphire Metalic, with Black Dakota Leather, Poplar trim. Sport Package, MTech Body kit and Spoiler, HUD, Comfort Seats, Navigation, Premium sound, CWP, Heated Rear Seats, Window shades. Valentine 1 hardwired, Aux input.

I am having a hard time understanding what the gripe is. I think it is incredibly intuitive, and the best system I have seen on a car. I have had my ride for two weeks now, and although it took some time to really get used to it, today I realized I have got it. If you get stuck, just hit the menu button and start over.

One member was selling their car because they hate it so much. I just dont get it.

Thoughts?
Old 05-07-2005, 12:50 PM
Banned

My Ride: '05 545i, silver gray, black leather with anthracite maple wood, sport package, premium sound, navigation, cold weather package, electric rear sunshade, folding rear seat, satellite radio prep, PIAA 4150K fogs, red rear reflectors, hardwired Valentine One

Totally agree. This is the future--today! Remember before PCs came with a mouse?

After reading all the negative press, and sitting in a new 7 series when they first came out, iDrive was clearly in the negative column for me in deciding on a new car. The 5 series iDrive is a big improvement from the original 7 series.

As with all new technology, there's the notion of the bleeding edge...the early 7 series owners apparently experienced that. I'm sure we'll see refinements over time, but I like iDrive a lot--and with voice command it's wonderful. Well look back (5 years from now?) and wonder what all the fuss was about.
Old 05-07-2005, 01:11 PM
Contributors

One of the best features! iDrive makes the interior.
Old 05-07-2005, 01:34 PM
Senior Members

LOVE IT ALL THE WAY!!!
Old 05-07-2005, 01:41 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: '06 550i 6 Speed MT, Navigation, PDC, Cold Weather Pkg, Logic7, Prem Pkg, Sport Pkg, Active Steering, Comfort Seats, Comfort Access, HUD, Alpine White on Black Dakota & a Big Grin ;-) <---- On the vessel from Germany... ******** '05 545i 6 Speed MT, Navigation, PDC, Cold Weather Pkg, Logic7, Prem Pkg, Sport Pkg, UUC EVOIII SSK, Silver Gray on Black Dakota..... (Buy back by BMW NA)

LOVE LOVE & LOVE !!!

I think that the only ppl who didn't like it are those who are technology challenged...

Old 05-07-2005, 01:54 PM
Members

My Ride: 2005 Black Sapphire Metallic 545i

Im with you on this one, I love it, and everyone that gets in the car always asks me about it, asking me if I hate it. I tell them no and show it to them and they wonder why all these magazines trash it. I played around with it for 5 minutes after I bought the car and figured it out, and I love it now.
Old 05-07-2005, 02:39 PM
Contributors

Most magazine reviewers spend a very limited amount of time test driving a car. As they drive, they want to think about what they are going to write about various aspects of the car. With IDrive, although I didn't find it particularly difficult, it took several days of focus to get it all sorted out. If a reviewer doesn't take the time to learn how to work the IDrive system for a few days and then focus on driving the car, it is no wonder they hate it. Most people in most professions don't like things that make their jobs more difficult. IDrive is great for BMW owners but not for those who write about BMWs and who have a limited amount of time to test the car and get the article written. Over time they will get used to it.
Old 05-08-2005, 03:15 AM
Contributors

Originally Posted by SanCarlos' date='May 8 2005, 12:39 AM
Over time they will get used to it.
[snapback]125536[/snapback]
It will be interesting in a few years as more and more cars go this direction to see the same reporters telling us who has the best system. I bet they wont be trashing iDrive then!
Old 05-08-2005, 03:47 AM
Members

I-Drive was one of the reasons I hesitated in buying the car. Know what? It's so easy to use. Took less than a week and I was using it like a pro. I don't know what all the fuss was about. I-Drive rocks and is only going to get better. I love the split screen. Yesterday, I had sat on the left and my nav on the right. Wonderful.
Old 05-08-2005, 04:26 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2005 530i, Jet Black, Black Leather, Automatic, Cold Weather, Sirius Prep and Radio, Premium Package, Xenon Lights.

<--- <span style='font-size:14pt;line-height:100%'>Why do you think I picked this Avatar?</span>

(I love it too!)

Quick Reply: What is everyones gripe with Idrive?