E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

What does this symbol mean?

Search this Thread

Old 10-21-2012, 02:03 PM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What does this symbol mean?

Hi Guys,

I wonder if someone knows what this means. I see it when I start the car (I have Comfort Access). I have replaced both batteries in the key FOBs and still get this message. I looked through the owner's manual to see if it's in there and it's not. I just got this car on Thursday so I am just learning about it as a new owner (well 2nd owner).
Attached Thumbnails What does this symbol mean?-dsc00689.jpg  
Old 10-21-2012, 02:35 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2004 545i, 6-speed Manual, Silver Grey Metallic, Grey Dakota Leather, Cold Weather Pkg, Premium Sound Pkg, Sport Pkg, Lumbar Support

The battery in your comfort access fob is low...
Attached Files
File Type: pdf
checkcontrol symbols.pdf (339.6 KB, 237 views)
Old 10-21-2012, 04:10 PM
Administrator

Received 99 Likes on 95 Posts
My Ride: 530xi
Model Year: 2007
Engine: N52
Default Bring it back to where you bought it

If you bought it from a dealer, BMW or otherwise, I'm sure there is at least some kind of 30 day warranty where they can help address the issue. If you bought it from a private party, find out if they had a similar problem (and why they never told you about it before you bought the car).

On another note, aren't these key fobs charging while they are in the ignition? Is that only for later model years?
Old 10-21-2012, 05:53 PM
Contributors

Exclamation

Originally Posted by jayarras
If you bought it from a dealer, BMW or otherwise, I'm sure there is at least some kind of 30 day warranty where they can help address the issue. If you bought it from a private party, find out if they had a similar problem (and why they never told you about it before you bought the car).

On another note, aren't these key fobs charging while they are in the ignition? Is that only for later model years?
CA FOBS have easily replaced batteries - buy them at a Radio Shack, big-box, or discount store for about $2 each. I think the battery number is 2032. Non-CA fobs are charged with inserted in the car slot.
Old 10-22-2012, 05:34 AM
Administrator

Received 99 Likes on 95 Posts
My Ride: 530xi
Model Year: 2007
Engine: N52

Originally Posted by luigi524td
CA FOBS have easily replaced batteries - buy them at a Radio Shack, big-box, or discount store for about $2 each. I think the battery number is 2032. Non-CA fobs are charged with inserted in the car slot.
So which years had one or the other? I seem to recall with my E39 that you had a short window in which to replace the battery, otherwise you would lose settings. I guess that's no longer a problem?
Old 10-22-2012, 06:22 AM
Contributors

My Ride: E90 M3
Model Year: 2011

Guys, OP stated that he has already replaced the batteries in both key fobs but is still getting the message. Either the replacement battery was bad or there is something else going on.
Old 10-22-2012, 06:25 AM
Contributors

My Ride: E90 M3
Model Year: 2011

Originally Posted by jayarras
So which years had one or the other? I seem to recall with my E39 that you had a short window in which to replace the battery, otherwise you would lose settings. I guess that's no longer a problem?
CA has been an option since around 2007 or somewhere in there. Not a model year specific option, you either ordered it or not. It is was/is part of one of the various packages BMW offers like the Premium package...
Old 10-22-2012, 01:30 PM
Senior Members

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
My Ride: E60 530i

There is a battery and a key. I would assume your keyfob is the problem.
Old 10-22-2012, 02:50 PM
Members

Hi Guys,

Thank you for all of your responses. One of the batteries that I replaced was a bad one. Went out to my local CVS (pharmacy) and got the CR 2032 battery replacement. That fixed the error!

On another note, I am amazed that the car can tell me that my battery is running low in my key fob with comfort access. I am not putting the key in the opening on the steering column.

I am curious about the communication between the key fob and the car. What frequency is the system using? Is the data encrypted? Could someone pick up the transmission between the FOB and the car. Then reprogram a new key FOB? This question is coming up because I have a curious mind and like to know how things work. If I need to post this in a separate thread, I can do that.

Thank you!
John
Old 10-22-2012, 03:57 PM
Contributors

Originally Posted by johnd.
Hi Guys,

Thank you for all of your responses. One of the batteries that I replaced was a bad one. Went out to my local CVS (pharmacy) and got the CR 2032 battery replacement. That fixed the error!

On another note, I am amazed that the car can tell me that my battery is running low in my key fob with comfort access. I am not putting the key in the opening on the steering column.

I am curious about the communication between the key fob and the car. What frequency is the system using? Is the data encrypted? Could someone pick up the transmission between the FOB and the car. Then reprogram a new key FOB? This question is coming up because I have a curious mind and like to know how things work. If I need to post this in a separate thread, I can do that.
Thank you!
John
I suppose that a hacker, with the right equipment, could reach out and "touch" the key fob's info - then duplicate it and drive off with your car.

Quick Reply: What does this symbol mean?