E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

What does DTC really do?

Search this Thread

Old 04-08-2007, 10:51 AM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

In addition: when driving with snowchains, there is always a little spin involved. In that case you need to override the DTC by pushing the button.
Old 04-08-2007, 07:08 PM
Senior Members

Guys, I just drove with the red lights on today (Pressed the DTC button for 3 seconds), it was awesome. the wheels just didn't wanna stop to spin.. hahaha.. it was great..thanx..
Old 04-08-2007, 07:19 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2008 Silverstone II E60 M5 2012 E70 AW X5 50i Sport w/ LCI Aero Kit and Rocker Panels

So then there are 3 settings, right? Correct me here if I'm wrong...

Setting 1: Leaving button alone = full traction control? Basically, the car picks up on everything and decides where traction is needed?

Setting 2: Tapping the DTC button once = Partial traction control? What's the difference betweeen Setting 1 and Setting 2 then or more importantly, what's the point of #2 then?

Setting 3: Holding DTC for 3 seconds = no traction control. Wheels spin freely. Control is up to driver.
Old 04-08-2007, 07:42 PM
Senior Members

Thats what i understood. I held the button for 3 sec; tried buringing out, nothing
Old 04-08-2007, 08:26 PM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by cmansbimmer' post='411570' date='Apr 8 2007, 08:19 PM

Setting 1: Leaving button alone = full traction control? Basically, the car picks up on everything and decides where traction is needed?

Setting 2: Tapping the DTC button once = Partial traction control? What's the difference betweeen Setting 1 and Setting 2 then or more importantly, what's the point of #2 then?

Setting 3: Holding DTC for 3 seconds = no traction control. Wheels spin freely. Control is up to driver.
When you tap the DSC button, the I-drive screen will display "DTC is Activated, DSC is Limited". The only difference between Setting 1 and 2 is that Setting 2 has more ability to prevent wheels from spinning. and it can be used in deep snow or in any kind of heavy driving condition. This is my understanding about this system, yet I'm not really sure about it. Correct me if I'm wrong..
Old 04-09-2007, 07:00 AM
Members

My Ride: 2006 525Xi Build: Sep 2005 Del: May 2006 Ti Silver | Black | Premium Pkg. | Cold Weath. | Step | Xenon Adapt.

Originally Posted by cmansbimmer' post='411570' date='Apr 8 2007, 10:19 PM

Default is DSC (with DTC) on. Controls engine output and braking for optimal control. But in ppor traction where some slip is desirable, may actually slow you down enough to stop the vehicle. At least one wheel (on an x car) needs some traction.

On tap- DTC on. Allows some slippage for getting started in deep snow, use with chains, sand, etc.

Hold- DTC/DSC off (and active steering I think). For the Fangio/ Senna's amongst us.
Old 04-09-2007, 04:05 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: '04 545iS 6 spd, bought new via eBay, 11/05; Blk/Gry, Cold, L7, PDC, BMW Rear seatcover for pets. First "Bumwa" was a new 1971 2002. High performance 5s since 1987. Beamer motorcycles too, currently on an 07 BMW K1200 GT; also a Moto Guzzi 1000 SP III.

Originally Posted by Torquey5' post='411282' date='Apr 8 2007, 12:09 AM
There was a very similar question in one of the other threads earlier in the afternoon when I had nothing to do and replied. Basically it is what it says, traction control. When you push the button once an orange/yellow light that says "DTC" appears in your center area between the speedometer and RPM dial. That means if your car detects wheel spin such as a burnout, your car will somewhat take over to correct it so you regain traction.

Now when you push and hold the button for 3 seconds, a red triangle light symbol will appear instead of the orange "DTC". That means you have full control of your car and you can have some fun by doing full burnouts, donuts, etc. and your computer will not correct any of it.

Make sense?

Dan
Thanks for that 3-second hold tip, I had missed that. When I wanted to get out of it this winter--to rock out of a snow rut--nothing seemed to happen (I couldn't spin wheels). That lack of hold was my problem.

That button holding is counter-intuitive--just like the damned trunk release. Thx.

Ray
Old 04-09-2007, 05:10 PM
Senior Members

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by mleuba' post='411261' date='Apr 7 2007, 10:04 PM
Hi All,
I read the manual regarding Dynamic Traction Control (p84) I don't know how many times but I am still not 100% sure I understand what it does. Seems like it bypasses Dynamic Stability Control, providing maximum power to the rear wheels in bad conditions like thick snow.

Is there something I am missing and other clarifications that you can provide?

Thanks!

Mark
Push the button once and DSC (Dynamic Stability Control) is disabled (yellow light with "!" in a triangle illuminates). This system will apply brakes (to any and all wheels) and cut power based on input from several sensors detecting pitch, yaw, steering angle, wheel slippage, etc. It is designed to determine the intended path of the car and maintain that path in the event of traction problems. However, if you car is equipped with ADB (Automatic Differential Braking), this system will remain on.

ADB works like an electronic version of a limited slip differential. Since we have an open differential, power goes to the wheel with the least resistance. ADB works in a way where if it senses a drive wheel slipping, it applies braking to that wheel - thus increasing resistance to that wheel and diverting power to the other wheel. So, even with DSC disabled, a quick start could result in some type of "traction control" although power from the motor is not cut (unlike DSC). ADB will not attempt to correct any type of slide - it will only correct traction on the back wheels.

If you push and hold the button for 3 seconds, both the triangle light and a yellow "BRAKE" light will illuminate indicating that all traction control devices have been disabled. Now the car/wheels will spin without any type of automatic interference.

To re-set any systems, simply push the button for 1 second no matter what level of "disabling" you were at. All systems will be re-engaged and yellow lights will go off.

With all this being said, I'm not sure how it works on Xi models.