E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What does DTC really do?

Search this Thread

Old 04-07-2007, 06:04 PM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 2006 525i Titanium Silver, All Weather, XM (Aftermarket)

Hi All,
I read the manual regarding Dynamic Traction Control (p84) I don't know how many times but I am still not 100% sure I understand what it does. Seems like it bypasses Dynamic Stability Control, providing maximum power to the rear wheels in bad conditions like thick snow.

Is there something I am missing and other clarifications that you can provide?

Thanks!

Mark
Old 04-07-2007, 07:52 PM
Senior Members

Someone wanna help this guy out? Im looking for the same info...I push DTC and i dont feel a difference?
Old 04-07-2007, 08:09 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2007 550i..... ex

There was a very similar question in one of the other threads earlier in the afternoon when I had nothing to do and replied. Basically it is what it says, traction control. When you push the button once an orange/yellow light that says "DTC" appears in your center area between the speedometer and RPM dial. That means if your car detects wheel spin such as a burnout, your car will somewhat take over to correct it so you regain traction.

Now when you push and hold the button for 3 seconds, a red triangle light symbol will appear instead of the orange "DTC". That means you have full control of your car and you can have some fun by doing full burnouts, donuts, etc. and your computer will not correct any of it.

Make sense?

Dan
Old 04-07-2007, 10:14 PM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by Torquey5' post='411282' date='Apr 7 2007, 09:09 PM
There was a very similar question in one of the other threads earlier in the afternoon when I had nothing to do and replied. Basically it is what it says, traction control. When you push the button once an orange/yellow light that says "DTC" appears in your center area between the speedometer and RPM dial. That means if your car detects wheel spin such as a burnout, your car will somewhat take over to correct it so you regain traction.

Now when you push and hold the button for 3 seconds, a red triangle light symbol will appear instead of the orange "DTC". That means you have full control of your car and you can have some fun by doing full burnouts, donuts, etc. and your computer will not correct any of it.

Make sense?

Dan
Wow, You surely understand the function of this system. Thanx..
I had the same Question before.
Old 04-07-2007, 10:27 PM
Senior Members

Yellow Symbol turns red!! How come they dont clarify this in the owners maual? Thnx for the info. Don't really mean to steal this thread, but on a side note was wondering how can you make an xi model burn out. Ive attempted many occasions and have failed.
Old 04-07-2007, 11:04 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2007 550i..... ex

Originally Posted by NextLevel530xi' post='411351' date='Apr 8 2007, 01:27 AM
Yellow Symbol turns red!! How come they dont clarify this in the owners maual? Thnx for the info. Don't really mean to steal this thread, but on a side note was wondering how can you make an xi model burn out. Ive attempted many occasions and have failed.

No prob guys.

As for your question, I don't have an answer for that, it's hard to do burnouts with an AWD car because all 4 corners get grip so I'm not sure on this one, would have to ask one of my techs and get back to you.

Dan
Old 04-08-2007, 01:51 AM
Senior Members

Thnx for your quick reply! Lookin forward from your techs. e60.net is the best place! oh and Torquey5 is the man
Old 04-08-2007, 04:06 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: 545i SMG with Limited Slip Differential
Model Year: 2005

The most important feature of DTC is deactivation of ASR and a sort of LSD (it breakes the internal wheel) .
You can drive freely : I use only DTC mode .
Old 04-08-2007, 09:35 AM
Members

My Ride: 2007 550i, Titanium Silver/Black, 6-Sp Steptronic, Sport Package, HD Radio, Sirius, Premium Sound, GPS Nav, Cold Pkg, cell phone cradle, iPod through the AUX port 1976 Datsun 280Z, Charcoal/Black, 5-Sp Manual, A/C, American Mags, CD, Tom Tom 930 GPS (works better than the BMW!) and the rest is pretty much stock

Originally Posted by Torquey5' post='411282' date='Apr 7 2007, 11:09 PM

Make sense?
So - in snow or rain which one do you recommend for best traction, safety and handling? No light, orange or red?
Old 04-08-2007, 10:05 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2013 M5 - Sakhir Orange / Black Leather.

Originally Posted by geokr1' post='411443' date='Apr 8 2007, 01:35 PM
So - in snow or rain which one do you recommend for best traction, safety and handling? No light, orange or red?
For best traction and full stabilty control, don't touch the button. The system resets every time you re-start the car. Interestingly, if you try to climb a grade on ice or snow and the rear wheels both lose traction, the car will simply stop (i.e. there is no way to "spin" the wheels and get up the grade). In that instance, you should push the DTC button once to disengage traction control. That will allow the wheels to spin so you can get up the grade.

Quick Reply: What does DTC really do?