E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

What does Drive Sport (DS) actualy do?

Search this Thread

Old 06-03-2005, 06:43 AM
Contributors

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If you are on a hill, the 'creep' I mentioned should keep you stationary but you would have your foot on the brake anyway

ie

Get in,
foot on brake
start engine
shift to D
release parking brake
accelerate
off you go

from say 60kmh, brake to a stop, keep foot on brake....lights change....shift foot from brake to accelerator.

OR

from say 60kmh, brake to stop, apply parking brake & take foot off brake, lights change, release parking brake and accelerate

You should not need to shift to N at any time

Hope this explains

DD
Old 06-03-2005, 06:47 AM
Contributors

gudge....got me wondering.....I'll try it on my way home tonight!

DD
Old 06-03-2005, 06:59 AM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by Doctor Diesel' date='Jun 3 2005, 03:47 PM
gudge....got me wondering.....I'll try it on my way home tonight!

DD
[snapback]135803[/snapback]
Actually, you just reminded me.........and a pointer for when u get your SMG.
Once my brother was sitting in traffic in his 330ci, and in front of him was an M3 SMG. The driver of M3 must have flicked the paddles to get in to neutral, so he could relax his feet (I assume). Anyway, when he flicked the paddles again to select 1st gear, he inadvertently selected R, and hit the accelerator..........KERBANG!!!!, straight back into the front bumper of my bruvs 330.
I think my brother wanted to deck the guy one..........but it turned out that the M3 driver was actually his best mate........so he had to hold back.

Luckily it was low impact....so no damage to either car.

Moral of the story is..........always check the dash on an SMG to see you have selected the correct gear.

Gudge.
Old 06-03-2005, 07:10 AM
Contributors

Similar thing happened to a friend of mine.........sitting behind a car waiting to enter a roundabout.....watching the cars come round....large gap so accelerates only to find the car in front's driver had decided to put on her lipstick and hadn't moved....ouch!!!

moral....LOOK......at the road and your selector!

DD
Old 06-03-2005, 07:15 AM
Members

My Ride: 535d

Originally Posted by BetterMakeWay' date='Jun 3 2005, 10:18 AM
I knew that...but i'm abiut to get the car over a month or so. Is has auto transmission although i NEVER driven an auto before. Can someone post some pics of an auto from a 535d? so i can see the modes that are available? and know it may sound a little strange i'm about to ask you <_<? ? What are the steps to change the gears in an auto? Based on what has a 535d? I mean i know u have to hold the brake and then just shift from N to D, release the brake an then it stats to move and applay the throtle? At traffic lights do u have to change to N? or can u just sit on D with the brake on? or when driving on hills what do you do? are there 1,2,3 modes? What's that for?
Thank you. Answering my questions will avoid stupid ones asking the dealer...
10x again
[snapback]135746[/snapback]
I have a similar question, being a future user of the mandatory auto gearbox on the 535d : Except the button on the lever, is there something to prevent an unwished and accidental passage from D to R or worse D to P during a trip on a motorway for instance. What would be the behaviour of the car in this situation?
I hope in case of P, it is not totally blocked suddently?!

Thanks for the answer.
Old 06-03-2005, 07:19 AM
Senior Members

I would have thought it would be nigh on impossible to shift the gearlever and press the button at the same time.......ACCIDENTALLY! ??
Old 06-03-2005, 07:21 AM
Members

My Ride: 535d

Originally Posted by Gudge' date='Jun 3 2005, 04:19 PM
I would have thought it would be nigh on impossible to shift the gearlever and press the button at the same time.......ACCIDENTALLY! ??
[snapback]135814[/snapback]
You should always consider having children nearby and having suddently a wish to push the lever taking it so the button is press. From behind, it is easy to PUSH the lever thus going through N - R and maybe P!
Old 06-03-2005, 07:23 AM
Contributors

Yes, there is an interlock to prevent you going from d to r without the brake on (unlike the spectacular Jaguar XJS which occasionally allowed you to go from D to R at speed......whereupon the engine would try and join you in the passenger seat!)

DD
Old 06-03-2005, 07:24 AM
Senior Members

Arrow

Originally Posted by fred1976' date='Jun 3 2005, 04:21 PM
[quote name='Gudge' date='Jun 3 2005, 04:19 PM']I would have thought it would be nigh on impossible to shift the gearlever and press the button at the same time.......ACCIDENTALLY! ??
[snapback]135814[/snapback]
You should always consider having children nearby and having suddently a wish to push the lever taking it so the button is press. From behind, it is easy to PUSH the lever thus going through N - R and maybe P!
[snapback]135817[/snapback]
[/quote]

Ok..........but is it actually possible while the car is in motion ?..........Doc Diesel, maybe another one for you to try on your way home!......Preferably on the motorway.
Old 06-03-2005, 07:28 AM
Senior Members

Ok Doc, another one for you.
If the car is in steptronic mode, and then switched off, then when turned back on again, does it automatically go to steptronic mode. Or does it default back to Auto Drive.

Quick Reply: What does Drive Sport (DS) actualy do?