E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

What does Drive Sport (DS) actualy do?

Search this Thread

Old 06-02-2005, 01:30 PM
Senior Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 2005 E60 BMW 525i - BIRTHDAY- 11/04 - EXTERIOR- Amethyst Gray Metallic. INTERIOR- Beige Dakota Leather w/Dark Poplar Grain Wood. OPTIONS- Automatic Transmission, Premium Package, Cold Weather Package, 6-disc CD changer, Bluetooth using Verizon Raza V3c phone, SIRIUS Satellite Radio. ADD-ON's- 545i Chrome Grill, Euro Red Reflectors, Factory all-weater matts & Factory Coat-Hanger.

Is it like overdrive in other cars ?????
Old 06-02-2005, 01:40 PM
Contributors

Originally Posted by John007' date='Jun 2 2005, 09:30 PM
Is it like overdrive in other cars ?????
[snapback]135567[/snapback]
It changes the shifting pattern of the gears. Gears are held longer increasing the revs and speed... (And increasing fuel consumption...)
Old 06-02-2005, 02:03 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2015 535D M Sport

When you first move into it from full normal Drive mode, it drops you down a gear. In addtion to the higher RPM shift points, it also makes the throttle response more sensitive.
Old 06-03-2005, 01:18 AM
Senior Members

I knew that...but i'm abiut to get the car over a month or so. Is has auto transmission although i NEVER driven an auto before. Can someone post some pics of an auto from a 535d? so i can see the modes that are available? and know it may sound a little strange i'm about to ask you <_< What are the steps to change the gears in an auto? Based on what has a 535d? I mean i know u have to hold the brake and then just shift from N to D, release the brake an then it stats to move and applay the throtle? At traffic lights do u have to change to N? or can u just sit on D with the brake on? or when driving on hills what do you do? are there 1,2,3 modes? What's that for?
Thank you. Answering my questions will avoid stupid ones asking the dealer...
10x again
Old 06-03-2005, 03:32 AM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by BetterMakeWay' date='Jun 3 2005, 04:18 AM
I knew that...but i'm abiut to get the car over a month or so. Is has auto transmission although i NEVER driven an auto before. Can someone post some pics of an auto from a 535d? so i can see the modes that are available? and know it may sound a little strange i'm about to ask you <_<? ? What are the steps to change the gears in an auto? Based on what has a 535d? I mean i know u have to hold the brake and then just shift from N to D, release the brake an then it stats to move and applay the throtle? At traffic lights do u have to change to N? or can u just sit on D with the brake on? or when driving on hills what do you do? are there 1,2,3 modes? What's that for?
Thank you. Answering my questions will avoid stupid ones asking the dealer...
10x again
[snapback]135746[/snapback]
OK, it is really very easy (almost too easy) with automatic/steptronic. You just apply the brake to change from N to D, then just step on the gas pedal. It does all the rest. It starts in 1 then as you go faster it increases to 2, then 3, etc. As you slow down it goes back the other way. When you stop, it just becomes 'like neutral-N' and lets the car rest without moving. Then it waits for you to apply the gas pedal again and starts over again. It also senses when you go up a steep hill and waits longer to shift, or if you go down a hill, it shifts earlier.

I hope that helps.
Old 06-03-2005, 04:30 AM
Contributors

The AGS system built into BMW auto boxes also senses the speed of depression of the accelerator.....try it, push the gas quickly (but not to the kickdown point) and it drops a gear, push it slowly to the same point and it tends to stay in gear......sometimes a rapid tap on the gas will drop it 2 gears.

sorry to complicate matters further ...(and we haven't even mentioned kickdown)

DD
Old 06-03-2005, 05:47 AM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by gdavis' date='Jun 3 2005, 12:32 PM
OK, it is really very easy (almost too easy) with automatic/steptronic. You just apply the brake to change from N to D, then just step on the gas pedal. It does all the rest. It starts in 1 then as you go faster it increases to 2, then 3, etc. As you slow down it goes back the other way. When you stop, it just becomes 'like neutral-N' and lets the car rest without moving. Then it waits for you to apply the gas pedal again and starts over again. It also senses when you go up a steep hill and waits longer to shift, or if you go down a hill, it shifts earlier.

I hope that helps.
[snapback]135759[/snapback]
Please clarify. My car does not do this (UK Car). When you stop, you have to press the foot brake and manually shift in to neutral, and then do the converse to get back into drive.
Is this how it is on all other UK autos ??? If not, HELP!!

Cheers
GAZ
Old 06-03-2005, 06:13 AM
Contributors

an auto will "creep" at lights etc, yes, if you are in traffic, keep your foot on the brake, if stopped for any length of time, use the handbrake. (the E65 7 series has a nice 'auto park brake' function to surmount the creep problem.

DD
Old 06-03-2005, 06:27 AM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by Doctor Diesel' date='Jun 3 2005, 09:13 AM
an auto will "creep" at lights etc, yes, if you are in traffic, keep your foot on the brake, if stopped for any length of time, use the handbrake. (the E65 7 series has a nice 'auto park brake' function to surmount the creep problem.

DD
[snapback]135790[/snapback]
Oh so it's like this! Let's say i'm doin 60km/h and i slow down for a red light...then i tap the brake untill the car is stopped (STILL IN D). So in this case: if i release the brake gently the car will start to move slowly? right? OR if i release the brake nothing happens!?. Of course if i brake to a full stop and change from D to N and release the brake nothing will happen but what happens when i don't do that?

Another question if my car has been parked on a hill, in a ramp (how do u call it in english? ) like this sign " / " anyway and i want to start and drive away and i have to climb the hill do i still use the D mode? or there's another mode for this kind of start off?
I saw at older cars with auto besides modes N,D,S under N i saw 1,2,3. What does that mean?

Thank you, Andrew from Romania
Old 06-03-2005, 06:42 AM
Senior Members

I've actually never tried facing forwards a downward incline, and put the car in reverse.........what happens ? Does the car just remain stationary....(assuming of course you don't hit the accelerator).

Quick Reply: What does Drive Sport (DS) actualy do?