E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

What does D/S stands for?

Search this Thread

Old 10-02-2006, 07:11 AM
Senior Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi everyone

I have a question about my 530d Auto transmition.

When I switch from Auto to Sequential mode, and before I start shifting up/down, I get a DS on the OBC screen and the car start shifting up & down by itself in what feels like a Sports mode as it stays in gear for longer.

What is that DS mode and what's it short for

Sorry if it is a silly question, but I am a new to BMW - switching from the Merc camp

Thank you
Old 10-02-2006, 07:13 AM
Contributors

You're right, its just sports mode. Gives you the more performance in term of acceleration and reponse.
Old 10-02-2006, 07:14 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: -Current- 535d Sport LCI Bi-Xenon Adaptive Lights, S.A.T, Professional SatNav, Logic7, Elec Memory seats, iPod interface, 19" Alloys WITHOUT RUNFLATS! CIC and Combox Retrofit, White Angel Eyes, Speed in Centre console. -Previous- Mini Cooper S 525d Tourer Auto

The D/S is indeed the sport mode and i find it very useful when taking corners harder than usual as it keeps the revs higher. I believe that it is for Drive / Sport but bay be proved wrong by some of the experts on this forum

You can overide it by using the + / - too must i personally do not see the point - you went for an auto for a reason
Old 10-02-2006, 07:14 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: -Current- 535d Sport LCI Bi-Xenon Adaptive Lights, S.A.T, Professional SatNav, Logic7, Elec Memory seats, iPod interface, 19" Alloys WITHOUT RUNFLATS! CIC and Combox Retrofit, White Angel Eyes, Speed in Centre console. -Previous- Mini Cooper S 525d Tourer Auto

Originally Posted by 525iSE' post='340851' date='Oct 2 2006, 04:13 PM
You're right, its just sports mode. Gives you the more performance in term of acceleration and reponse.

Damn, just beat me! Damn my slow typing!!!
Old 10-02-2006, 07:19 AM
Members

My Ride: 06 530Xi w/ M-Sport Package 07 335i Cabriolet w/ M-Sport body kit

Originally Posted by 525iSE' post='340851' date='Oct 2 2006, 11:13 AM
It change the shift points so it upshifts later and downshifts earlier. Move the lever to any of the +/- and you are on manual mode.

P.S> *** This is the fastest I've see replies come in. Are we all that not busy on a Monday, or are we just bored? ***
Old 10-02-2006, 07:27 AM
Contributors

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My Ride: E60 M5, F85 X5M

Originally Posted by Darron.Lowe' post='340852' date='Oct 2 2006, 08:14 AM
The D/S is indeed the sport mode and i find it very useful when taking corners harder than usual as it keeps the revs higher. I believe that it is for Drive / Sport but bay be proved wrong by some of the experts on this forum

You can overide it by using the + / - too must i personally do not see the point - you went for an auto for a reason
DS is sporty but the car is a lot more aggressive and responsive when you go through the manual modes in +/-

I have a Step too but it's nice to have that option when you feel like some spirited driving.
Old 10-02-2006, 07:51 AM
Contributors

My Ride: In a place where the Mercedes density is the highest in the world (no. of MB per square kilometer) I choose a Bimmer, why? because of one thing "The Ultimate Driving Experience" My Ride: 523i Steptronic, Silver Grey Exterior, Black Interior with Black Dakota Leather and Maple Wood Trim. Chrome Grill, Style 123 rim, Airbags everywhere, PDC, Rain sensor, Auto lights, Moveable front armrest, Advance Climate Control, Glass Sunroof, Auto dimming interior and exterior mirror with foldable functions, Extended Lights package, 6 CD changer in glove box, Power seats with memory, Power adjustable steering wheel, Power rear sunblinds. Add ons: 123 wheels, chrome grill, K&N Hi flow filter, Eibach Pro Kit, e60.net decal and 24,000km Past rides: 2001 Nissan Xterra SE 1999 E39 523i 1999 E46 323i 1996 Acura Integra LS

Sport mode it is, not only the car shifts later, I also felt that the throttle is more responsive too. I think is due to the drive-by-wire thing as if you change from D to DS mode is way more noticable compare with the E39.

I think you might find this information in your owner's handbook too so now I finally get to use this icon

No offense man but I just couldn't find a use for this icon when Mark added this Welcome aboard by the way
Old 10-02-2006, 12:08 PM
Members

My Ride: 2005 BMW-Alpina B5 Touring #007, Malachite Green w/ Caramel Individual interior 1999 BMW 840Ci Sport Individual, Techno Violet w/ Champagne Individual interior

Originally Posted by AC_S5' post='340865' date='Oct 2 2006, 04:51 PM
Sport mode it is, not only the car shifts later, I also felt that the throttle is more responsive too. I think is due to the drive-by-wire thing as if you change from D to DS mode is way more noticable compare with the E39.
I think it's just the torque converter locking-up more, to give a more "direct" feel to the transmission.
Old 10-02-2006, 01:04 PM
Contributors

Originally Posted by Darron.Lowe' post='340852' date='Oct 2 2006, 04:14 PM

I'm not convinced the Sport mode is actually any quicker with the diesels. I find the low down torque suits the normal mode better.

Personally I prefer the tap up/down approach if I want 'spirited' driving or use the kickdown for any unexpected requirements...
Old 10-02-2006, 09:27 PM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by colejl' post='340952' date='Oct 2 2006, 10:04 PM
I'm not convinced the Sport mode is actually any quicker with the diesels. I find the low down torque suits the normal mode better.

I agree. Unfortunatly my 525d doesn't and likes to kick down more than i would like. I feel that there is quite a large amount of play in the autobox at lower revs which i think is worse in the 525d ? I am used to driving below 2000rpm and using the torque properly but cannot now .

Still, love the car despite its faults...

Quick Reply: What does D/S stands for?