E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

What do you make of this noise?...

Search this Thread

Old 08-06-2010, 11:07 PM
Contributors

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My Ride: Jet Black '05 545i, Sport/Premium Pkg, Steptronic, Adaptive Xenon, Nav, L7, Blue2th, PDC,

Originally Posted by salaki
Is there an "upgraded" aftermarket water pump for our car?
Nope. Most are just remanufactured to BMW specs

Originally Posted by healthservices
I have yet to replace the water pump but when it comes to the a/c belt you can look here You will spend hours and not be able to put the belt on with out a tool as the belt does not have a tensioner. Do not use a regular serpentine belt to replace this belt it is made to stretch. It cost me $45 at the dealer and $10 for the same one (not similar but the same one) online.

I made a special tool for this since the dealer wanted $120 and did not stock it. It was a good thing too as I would have bought it. I made the tool for less than $10

I think I used a 1-1/16 socket for the crank and a 60 torx for the tensioner.
After trying for over an hour to "stretch" the a/c belt onto the pulleys, with no success ofcourse, I decided to buy the 27mm ($4) socket and turn the crank. It took me less time than the time it took me to type these last few sentences!!! and I type pretty fast. The correct tool for the tensioners (at least on mine) is an 8mm hex socket on a breaker bar.

Originally Posted by turboawd
just take a wrench and loosen that lower bolt. then remove the water pump with the bolt still in the hole of the water pump. if the bolt doesnt back out enough to clear the threaded hole, then just loosen thesmall bolts on the main pulley so that the pulley will move forward a bit, and you wont have to mess with the ac belt.
when reinstalling, place the lower bolt in the hole of the water pump and then place in position behind the pulley.
thanks, but in my case, the crank pulley had to come off completely.