E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What do you chosse for an Autocross, track vehicle ?

Search this Thread

Old 03-31-2010, 12:39 PM
Contributors

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 2004 (7/04) 545i 6-Spd Manual Metallic Silver Gray with Gray Interior Premium Pkg, Premium Sound, Sport Pkg, Cold Weather, Active Steering, Navigation, Rear Sunshades, Folding Rear Seats, Rear Side Shades, Logic 7, Comfort Seats, Rear Heated Seats, HUD, Rear Side Airbags, PDC, Bluetooth Retrofit Exterior: Venture Clear Bra, Bright Angel Eyes, Euro Reflectors, Blackened Grill, VMR 713 19" Staggered with General UHPs, 13% tint rear windows Engine: K&N Air Filter, Deleted Carbon Filter , RPI Scoop, RPI Exhaust

I have a slightly mod'ed 545i 6MT.

Lucky me my wife gave me the permission to go and spend money on a second car of my choice . I am specifically looking for sth to go to track, autox events and so as well as enjoyin driving on curly roads. here are the options , let me know what you would have chosen

1. Z4 M roadster
2. 370z Nismo
3. sLK55
4. Beef up the 545 even further
5. Get an M6
6. Get an M5
Old 03-31-2010, 01:15 PM
Contributors

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My Ride: 2010 VW Passat Wagon 2.0l Tsi Grey/Grey Budapest 18" Lost to HPFP issues: 08 535i sport pkg Lost to Dreaded E61 Sun roof leaks: 07 E61 530Xi

535i...with piggy back and upgraded Tires and break pad/disks
or
530XI Touring...stock
Basically what ever you got....

Cobb Tuned ( meaning a race block and race heads that is blueprinted and ported) Scuby WRX....well that is what my brother runs.
It keeps breaking half shafts due the torque.....
Old 03-31-2010, 03:35 PM
Members

I wouldn't have classed any of those cars as track tools... Get something designed for the job like a Lotus Elise or, if you can get them over there, a Caterham.
Old 03-31-2010, 04:43 PM
Members

My Ride: 2008 550i Sport

Miata.. best auto cross vehicle hands down. Cheap, extremely light, easy to upgrade, handles like...well a tiny RWD convertable
Old 03-31-2010, 04:48 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2008 535i: June 6th start build, complete June 17th, at NY Port July 5th, at dealer July 10th, took delivery Friday July 13- Plantimum Bronze/Natural Brown Leather/Light Poplar, Sport Package, Sport Auto, Active Steering, Premium Package, CWP & PDC. Dinan Performance Software 384hp & 421 ft/lbs.

Originally Posted by leventor
I have a slightly mod'ed 545i 6MT.

Lucky me my wife gave me the permission to go and spend money on a second car of my choice . I am specifically looking for sth to go to track, autox events and so as well as enjoyin driving on curly roads. here are the options , let me know what you would have chosen

1. Z4 M roadster
2. 370z Nismo
3. sLK55
4. Beef up the 545 even further
5. Get an M6
6. Get an M5
If you are looking for the fastest car around the track get an M3 Coupe with the V8. Yesterday I was in Spartanburg, South Carolina at the BMWNA Performance Center and attended M-School. We drove M6's, M5's and M3's around a road course, wet and dry skid pads, did forth gear high speed runs, practices individual corners of the track and logged timed runs. When it got into the turns I was surprised that the M3's were the car of choice. Autocross would just exagerate the benefits of the M3.
Old 03-31-2010, 08:24 PM
Contributors

My Ride: '07 530iSport PackageLuxury Packagemore to come

Am I reading this correctly? You want a car to take to the tract but still use on the streets? So you aren't planning on turning it into a dedicated track car? You would buy a new car to track? Don't get me wrong I'm just asking. Most events that I have been to do not allow convertibles, BMWCCA, unless rules have changed or you put in a full cage. M5 or M6 for track events, can't imagine that unless you just want to go out and cruise around the track. MCoupe, hell yea. But I ask again buy a new car to track? One run in with the Armco and there goes your new car. Most insurance companies do not cover any kind of track event anymore.
I'm surprised no one mentioned the E36 M3. The best handling car in the world when it was in production. You can buy a good car reasonably priced these days. Modifications are getting cheaper all the time. I sold mine not too long ago for less than 10k. It had Ground Control coilovers, CAI, software, a roll cage, 5 point harnesses, BMW Euro brake rotors and I'm sure there was more. I don't want to think about it too much because there are times I hate myself for giving that car up.
Back to the original question, I wouldn't pick anything on the list. Sorry, but I think there are better options out there.
Old 04-01-2010, 02:00 AM
Members

Not sure an E90 M3 is particularly suitable either, really. It might be powerful, but it's still a big, heavy car. I don't know if it's an American thing, but over here a track car is usually lightweight and simple. BHP per tonne is more important than BHP on it's own. A little Caterham would make mincemeat of anything from the current BMW line-up on all but the fastest tracks. It will also be entertaining (if completely impractical) on the roads too.

Maybe it is just down to different attitudes to cars on either side of the Atlantic... I'm always surprised by how many people on here from the US would choose a manual gearbox for something like a 545 or 645, when in the UK (and Europe) they're considered comfortable cruisers, not sports cars (in fact, if you can manage to find a manual version of either of those for sale here, the price will be significantly lower than an auto with the same age/spec/miles).

Anyway, if there's a Lotus or Caterham dealer anywhere near you, I recommend going down there and having a drive. I think you'll realise that less is most definitely more when it comes to going round a corner.
Old 04-01-2010, 02:45 AM
Contributors

My Ride: Alpine White 2006 530Xi (SLD)

Cayman S maybe?
Old 04-01-2010, 02:53 AM
Members

Agree with Miata. If your budget is higher, go for the Cayman.
Old 04-01-2010, 03:17 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2008 535i: June 6th start build, complete June 17th, at NY Port July 5th, at dealer July 10th, took delivery Friday July 13- Plantimum Bronze/Natural Brown Leather/Light Poplar, Sport Package, Sport Auto, Active Steering, Premium Package, CWP & PDC. Dinan Performance Software 384hp & 421 ft/lbs.

Originally Posted by spandex
Not sure an E90 M3 is particularly suitable either, really. It might be powerful, but it's still a big, heavy car. I don't know if it's an American thing, but over here a track car is usually lightweight and simple. BHP per tonne is more important than BHP on it's own. A little Caterham would make mincemeat of anything from the current BMW line-up on all but the fastest tracks. It will also be entertaining (if completely impractical) on the roads too.

Maybe it is just down to different attitudes to cars on either side of the Atlantic... I'm always surprised by how many people on here from the US would choose a manual gearbox for something like a 545 or 645, when in the UK (and Europe) they're considered comfortable cruisers, not sports cars (in fact, if you can manage to find a manual version of either of those for sale here, the price will be significantly lower than an auto with the same age/spec/miles).

Anyway, if there's a Lotus or Caterham dealer anywhere near you, I recommend going down there and having a drive. I think you'll realise that less is most definitely more when it comes to going round a corner.
There is an attitude difference for sure. I agree the new Lotus cars would beat anything on his list and you can get them here in the US. If you autocross or road course you know it takes a lot of practice and expertise to go around the track fast and the runs that "feel" fast usually are slower. In the US they keep closing the local tracks so there are less places to practice so we tend to do more 0-100 mph blasts on the street and for that we like roaring HP and torque. Now the Lotus never really caught on, not because it's not fast and even in the straights it's fast because of it's weight, but because it has a Toyota 2.0 four cylinder. Our culture thinks all four cylinders are economy car engines and they won't sell to the performance crowd here.

Quick Reply: What do you chosse for an Autocross, track vehicle ?