E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

What do these codes mean?

Search this Thread

Old 09-18-2008, 03:39 PM
Contributors

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My Ride: 2006 525XI, Jet black on Dakota beige. Premium and winter packages. I consider myself a purist and intend to keep my car absolutely stock and shiny. 2008 328I Convertible, Sapphire black on beige interior. Premium package, NAV, iPod adapter. Retired: 2002 325I, Titanium silver on black leather. Premium package. Absolutely stock and proud of it.
Unhappy

I was curious to know what software version I have in my car. I asked the dealer and I was told that my car has "I STAGE PLANT E60 05 03 520" software. When I pressed for more details, they handed me a printout of the "TCU Identification" that showed a Software function field of 9.6.6

All I wanted to find out was the Idrive software version. Do any of the numbers above indicate the Idrive version? If so, what is it? If not, what should I ask for, specifically. I clearly asked that I wanted to know the software version of the Idrive. I don't know how more specific I could have been.

Also, while perusing the site, a while ago, I found a list of the different software versions and what they fixed. Now that I am actually looking for it, I can't find it. Could you please post the link to the list?

Thanks for any help you can provide.

Joe
Old 09-20-2008, 07:02 AM
Contributors

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: My ex-ride: EU '08 LCI 520dA. Space Grey, Sport Seats in Black Leather/Fabric Anthracite, Sport Steering Wheel, A/C with Extended Features, Hi-Fi Speakers, Cup Holders, Cruise with Braking function, Folding Rear Seats, Xenons, Park Distance Control.

Your dealer doesn't seem to know much. None of those numbers indicate the CIP.

"Upgrades are performed using their current system called SSSR2 (Software Service Station Rev2) although new systems are coming and may be at some dealers. This is connected to vehicle via special connectors/adaptors. The software (PROGMAN) resides on this computer. PROGMAN updates are obtained by the dealer via two methods - major update via CD/DVD; minor via BMW intranet system (various names used for description) The overarching level is called CIP. When a CIP xx.xx.xx (lets use 30.00.00 in this case) is received it covers ALL BMW models. However, PROGMAN MAY have changed for one model (3 series lets say) but not the 5 series. This of course causes much confusion at dealers and with owners when the SA or tech says I updated you to 30.00.00 but in fact you may have identical software to the same model vehicles using 29.00.02 - example only may not be true in this case. The REAL level of software within a particular series is identified by Target Data Status (TDS). This number has a model / date / level identifier that is what really counts. Current CIP 30.00.00, 30.00.01 and 30.00.02 are all TDS E060-08-03-550. And ONLY the dealer can tell you what this is on iDrive equipped vehicles."

And actually it's not only the iDrive's software, but the whole cars including engine, gearbox tune ups etc.
Old 09-21-2008, 07:24 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2006 525XI, Jet black on Dakota beige. Premium and winter packages. I consider myself a purist and intend to keep my car absolutely stock and shiny. 2008 328I Convertible, Sapphire black on beige interior. Premium package, NAV, iPod adapter. Retired: 2002 325I, Titanium silver on black leather. Premium package. Absolutely stock and proud of it.

Originally Posted by Ricracing' post='673924' date='Sep 20 2008, 11:02 AM
Your dealer doesn't seem to know much. None of those numbers indicate the CIP.

"Upgrades are performed using their current system called SSSR2 (Software Service Station Rev2) although new systems are coming and may be at some dealers. This is connected to vehicle via special connectors/adaptors. The software (PROGMAN) resides on this computer. PROGMAN updates are obtained by the dealer via two methods - major update via CD/DVD; minor via BMW intranet system (various names used for description) The overarching level is called CIP. When a CIP xx.xx.xx (lets use 30.00.00 in this case) is received it covers ALL BMW models. However, PROGMAN MAY have changed for one model (3 series lets say) but not the 5 series. This of course causes much confusion at dealers and with owners when the SA or tech says I updated you to 30.00.00 but in fact you may have identical software to the same model vehicles using 29.00.02 - example only may not be true in this case. The REAL level of software within a particular series is identified by Target Data Status (TDS). This number has a model / date / level identifier that is what really counts. Current CIP 30.00.00, 30.00.01 and 30.00.02 are all TDS E060-08-03-550. And ONLY the dealer can tell you what this is on iDrive equipped vehicles."

And actually it's not only the iDrive's software, but the whole cars including engine, gearbox tune ups etc.
Thank you for your answer. I am even more confused now. I've only driven the E60 fora few weeks and I'm fairly new. What should I ask my SA, specifically, to find out my version of software, and is there a list that I can look up and see what my version covers and/or does?

Thanks for any info,
Joe
Old 09-21-2008, 05:41 PM
Contributors

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: (USA) 645Ci, Silver Gray, Chateau, Cold Weather PKG, Premium Sound PKG, Sport PKG, Step, NAV [Std Equip in 645], HUD, Satellite (SIRIUS) Radio, Aux Input, Bluetooth enabled using iPhone 3GS w/ adapter cradle - Build date - 01/05, Baby delivered 2/24/05

Originally Posted by porsche911targa' post='672718' date='Sep 18 2008, 07:39 PM
I was curious to know what software version I have in my car. I asked the dealer and I was told that my car has "I STAGE PLANT E60 05 03 520" software. When I pressed for more details, they handed me a printout of the "TCU Identification" that showed a Software function field of 9.6.6

All I wanted to find out was the Idrive software version. Do any of the numbers above indicate the Idrive version? If so, what is it? If not, what should I ask for, specifically. I clearly asked that I wanted to know the software version of the Idrive. I don't know how more specific I could have been.

Also, while perusing the site, a while ago, I found a list of the different software versions and what they fixed. Now that I am actually looking for it, I can't find it. Could you please post the link to the list?

Thanks for any help you can provide.

Joe
Wow, that is OLD
The dealer gave you what he knew which was the TDS. After that it became BS. That TDS translates to: CIP v16.01.00 (March 05) or 17.00.00 (June 05). You just barely have "Perspective" view in Nav (if you even have nav).

As we are probably just getting v31 in the states you would have a lot of changes of which only a few could you even see (again depending on Nav or not).

If I may be excused for saying it I believe Ricracing is quoting a post of mine
Old 09-22-2008, 06:26 AM
Contributors

Originally Posted by cobradav' post='674888' date='Sep 21 2008, 09:41 PM
Wow, that is OLD
The dealer gave you what he knew which was the TDS. After that it became BS. That TDS translates to: CIP v16.01.00 (March 05) or 17.00.00 (June 05). You just barely have "Perspective" view in Nav (if you even have nav).

As we are probably just getting v31 in the states you would have a lot of changes of which only a few could you even see (again depending on Nav or not).

If I may be excused for saying it I believe Ricracing is quoting a post of mine
Thanks Cobra; that was an awesome answer. I do not have NAV and I don't think I'm even going to worry about it;

It may be v16.01.00 since the car has a build date of 05/2005

Do you think I should insist on an update?

Thanks