E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

What to do if you get a flat tyre

Search this Thread

Old 06-07-2005, 05:45 AM
Contributors

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Just put more air in it and keep driving. Just kidding.
Old 06-07-2005, 05:53 AM
JDN
Contributors

Originally Posted by Angel eyes' date='Jun 7 2005, 08:44 AM
But don?t you think that during driving on an empty RF the stronger sidewalls that hold up the tyre and are the whole thing that makes you able to continue the ride damages/consumes (bad english words, hope you understand???)
[snapback]137087[/snapback]
Could be. Certainly I can't make an argument that it helps. However, the strength of the runflats is outstanding as has been demonstrated by some of us who have had split wheels and the tire was able to hold the integrity of the two halves of the wheels as a reasonable facsimile of a wheel. I would heed directions in the manual for driving on a punctured runflat and opt for a repair if the puncture were located in the tread away from the edge (more torque at the edge).
Old 06-07-2005, 02:55 PM
Members

My Ride: 2008 550i Sport Carbon Black with Black Nasca Leather Sport Auto Transmission Active Steering Comfort Access Bamboo Anthracite wood trim Power Rear Sunshades Ventilated Seats Ipod adapter Nav Sat Premium Sound

Happened to me this past weekend at 2AM. Thought about roadside assistance or changing the tire myself, but I figured if it's a "Run Flat" tire, why not run it flat? No problems. I admit, at first I was a bit nervous, especially because of the roar of the tire at lower speeds. Averaged about 60 mph for about 30 miles. Bottom line, got home safely. Luckily I have a few used Dunlop RF tires I got off ebay for cheap and replaced it the next morning at my local tire shop. I love the run flats, despite all the negativity on the forum. I've never had any noise problems. I especially like the idea for my girlfriend's car or for my parents. Peace of mind, especially on LA freeways!
Old 06-07-2005, 07:30 PM
Super Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My Ride: G30 M550i
Model Year: 2018

I had a slow leak in one of my runflats last fall. It was one of those types of leaks where you could add air every two or three days and be able to drive the car even if you didn't have runflats. It caught me at a busy time right before I was going to mount the snow tires and since the tires was pretty bald anyway, I decided to just run it as is and add air every couple days. I'd usually fill it up and drive it until the FTM alarmed before filling it up again. On one occasion, the FTM alarmed and I went home without filling it up. The next morning, I was late for a meeting so I drove on the tire again without filling it up. I could feel the difference but it wasn't enough to complain about -- it certainly didn't feel like I was driving on a flat.

I finally got around to adding air the next day. Before doing so, I took a pressure reading and the tire had about 10psi in it. All I can say is that I probably could have gone another day or so if I wanted to (all city driving, no highway) without incident.

Runflats do provide an increased level of confidence that I've not experienced in the past. Now, BMW was nice enough to give me four new runflats and I'm pleased. In addition, my wife's minivan has tje Michelin PAX system runflat and I'm glad to know that she'll be safe and not stranded with any flat tires anytime soon. (BTW, since the Michelin PAX system uses special wheels and special equipment to mount the tires, they'll actually pay for your hotel room while a new tire/wheel assembly is overnighted to whatever service center you desire if you are travelling and have an issue with a tire. Pretty cool, huh?)
Old 06-07-2005, 09:24 PM
Contributors

Originally Posted by Rudy' date='Jun 7 2005, 08:30 PM
I had a slow leak in one of my runflats last fall.? It was one of those types of leaks where you could add air every two or three days and be able to drive the car even if you didn't have runflats.? It caught me at a busy time right before I was going to mount the snow tires and since the tires was pretty bald anyway, I decided to just run it as is and add air every couple days.? I'd usually fill it up and drive it until the FTM alarmed before filling it up again.? On one occasion, the FTM alarmed and I went home without filling it up.? The next morning, I was late for a meeting so I drove on the tire again without filling it up.? I could feel the difference but it wasn't enough to complain about -- it certainly didn't feel like I was driving on a flat.

I finally got around to adding air the next day.? Before doing so, I took a pressure reading and the tire had about 10psi in it.? All I can say is that I probably could have gone another day or so if I wanted to (all city driving, no highway) without incident.

Runflats do provide an increased level of confidence that I've not experienced in the past.? Now, BMW was nice enough to give me four new runflats and I'm pleased.? In addition, my wife's minivan has tje Michelin PAX system runflat and I'm glad to know that she'll be safe and not stranded with any flat tires anytime soon.? (BTW, since the Michelin PAX system uses special wheels and special equipment to mount the tires, they'll actually pay for your hotel room while a new tire/wheel assembly is overnighted to whatever service center you desire if you are travelling and have an issue with a tire.? Pretty cool, huh?)
[snapback]137408[/snapback]
Is the Michelin PAX system the new sort of tire they introduced just recently at one of the US Car Shows? It looks like a bunch of wires/spokes?
Old 06-07-2005, 09:38 PM
Super Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My Ride: G30 M550i
Model Year: 2018

No, the PAX has a liner that runs around the inner circumference of the wheel. It allows a higher profile tire for things like minivans and SUVs.

Before PAX, runflats were traditionally made only in low-profile, high performance tires since the stiffened sidewall was the only thing that held the car up in a low or no pressure situation.

Here's a link to Michelin's PAX information for those that are interested:
http://www.michelinman.com/difference/inno.../paxsystem.html

The technology that you might be thinking of that was introduced in Detroit was the "Tweel" concept:
http://www.michelinman.com/difference/rele...e01102005a.html

Keep in mind that Michelin also offers a "Zero Pressure" runflat that may incorporate some of the above innovations or it might just be a traditional runflat with stiffened sidewalls. I'm not sure but they do come in higher profile sizes so I doubt it's just a stiffer sidewall that's at work here:
http://www.michelinman.com/difference/inno...ropressure.html
Old 06-08-2005, 03:25 AM
Senior Members

I had a puncture. Called BMW who said no problem in repairing the RFT.
Tyre shop could not get the tyre off the rim to do an internal patch so they did an external one.

That was 8 months ago and all's OK.

It's BS that you have to replace a punctured RFT unless its beyond repair.

Streak
Old 06-08-2005, 03:53 AM
Members

Originally Posted by Flowerfred' date='Jun 7 2005, 01:31 PM
After a puncture you have to get it replaced anyway, so if I wouldn't worry about a few extra miles. Last time I needed new ones they were couriered in from Glasgow. That took two days.
[snapback]137064[/snapback]
Our E60 had a flat tyre, and BMW said they had to replace it, but wouldnt be getting any tyres in untill the next week, so with some gentle arm twisting, they told me where they got them from. It was the smallest one-off tyre place you could find - but they just repaired it for ?15 - been fine ever scince!
Old 06-08-2005, 04:07 AM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by bdav' date='Jun 8 2005, 12:53 PM
[quote name='Flowerfred' date='Jun 7 2005, 01:31 PM']After a puncture you have to get it replaced anyway, so if I wouldn't worry about a few extra miles. Last time I needed new ones they were couriered in from Glasgow. That took two days.
[snapback]137064[/snapback]
Our E60 had a flat tyre, and BMW said they had to replace it, but wouldnt be getting any tyres in untill the next week, so with some gentle arm twisting, they told me where they got them from. It was the smallest one-off tyre place you could find - but they just repaired it for ?15 - been fine ever scince!
[snapback]137481[/snapback]
[/quote]

So, is the informed consensus, that it is possible to get a RF tyre replaced, providing the damage is not extensive.............Sounds to me like a very good reason to not drive on the punctured tyre..........especially when you are looking at ?100+ to replace with a new one, and only ?15 to repair the punctured one.

No brainer or wot ?
Old 06-10-2005, 06:36 PM
Contributors

Originally Posted by Rudy' date='Jun 7 2005, 10:38 PM
The technology that you might be thinking of that was introduced in Detroit was the "Tweel" concept:
http://www.michelinman.com/difference/rele...e01102005a.html

[snapback]137435[/snapback]
Yes, that was it!
I think that is too cool. Although they need to work on the looks a little bit more. That A4 on Tweel's looks pretty ugly.

Quick Reply: What to do if you get a flat tyre