E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

What to do if you get a flat tyre

Search this Thread

Old 06-07-2005, 03:56 AM
Senior Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Guys,

This may be a silly question, but I've recently pondered what I would do in this situation.

I mean if you drive to your local tyre dealer (kwik fit in the UK) etc, would they have the particular run flat that you want, there and then ? I mean are these tyres widely available now ?

If they don't, or alternatively, if you decided to drive straight home (i.e. if you got the flat late at night), then what would happen?

What I'm getting at is that I know there is a certain number of miles you can drive after getting the puncture, but is this regardless of time constraints. I mean if you went to sleep at night, thinking "I'll worry about that flat tyre in the morning", then can you still drive the vehicle......even though it would have been a number of hours since you got the puncture. How long can you leave it ?

What about when women are driving, what would be the advice to them. I know that with standard tyres roadside assistance companies are usually alright with changing your tyre for you..........but what would you do here.
My wife tends to drive the E60 alot on weekdays (without me), and we have 2 young babies........it would help to have a plan in place.

Cheers.
Old 06-07-2005, 04:02 AM
Contributors

My Ride: [i][b][u]Since 19 august 2004[/u][/b][/i]: [color=red][b]530i[/b] High Executive[/color], Silvergray with beige interior, Popular wood, Servotronic, Sportssuspension, electric foldable and dimmed mirrors, dimmed interior mirror, pappelmaser braun wood, cupholders, styling 123 18" wheels, Logic 7, Steptronic, alarm class 3, electric sunscreen in the rear and suncreens for sidewindows, Comfort seats, heated seats, Xenon with headlightwashers, Adaptive corner lights ALC, Advanced airconditioning, lightpackage, Nav Pro, 6 cd changer, side airbags rearseats, bluetooth siemens S55, chrome kidneys, gearlever with wood, voice recognition retrofit, front windshield with green band. Waiting for trunkopener button from Hobi :)

It isn't a time issue but a km/miles issue.. If I remember correctly you should be able to drive another 150 kms at 80 km/h. So your wife can come home safely and you can go to the stealer or kwik fit (if they have them) to get new tires..
Old 06-07-2005, 04:10 AM
Members

My Ride: 545i 6spd manual. Euro Delivery, Nav, Sport Pkg, 35%Johnson Tint

I just had this happen a week ago driving home from New Jersey. I ran over some road debris and I heard a loud hissing sound since my sunroof was open and the FTM alarmed. I drove on it for 20 miles or so. At higher speeds it was fine but at low speeds the car would drift some. Eventually I got tired of the drifting and pulled over and installed the compact spare tire. It was easy and quick and the results were much better. I could cruise comfortably at 80mph even though it says u shouldnt go more than 50mph.

One thing to note though, my original tire was completely flat since there was a large gash on its inner surface. Those with a slow leak or some air still remaining in the tire may have better luck cruising on the run-flats for a longer time.
Old 06-07-2005, 04:17 AM
Members

My Ride: '05 525iA, silvergray, steptronic, Active steering, PDC, sport seats, beige dakotaleather, poppel trim, M-sport steering wheel, star spoke 123, xenon lights, large clima, cruise control.

I have a Tyre puncture and it?s only BMW that can fix it. If the tyre once run on empty you must buy/replace with a new RF, it can?t be repaired (expensive puncture). I hav to wait a week for a new tyre, BMW Sweden doesn?t have it and Bridgestone Sweden neither. So what does it help that you can drive a bit on the tyre when it gets a week to get a new. If I knew this when I bought the car, I?d go for non RF.
Old 06-07-2005, 04:20 AM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by Angel eyes' date='Jun 7 2005, 01:17 PM
I have a Tyre puncture and it?s only BMW that can fix it. If the tyre once run on empty you must buy/replace with a new RF, it can?t be repaired (expensive puncture). I hav to wait a week for a new tyre, BMW Sweden doesn?t have it and Bridgestone Sweden neither. So what does it help that you can drive a bit on the tyre when it gets a week to get a new. If I knew this when I bought the car, I?d go for non RF.
[snapback]137058[/snapback]
Angel eyes...........did you not try your local tyre dealers ?............man, that must be so annoying............did BMW give you a free loan car ?
Old 06-07-2005, 04:26 AM
Members

My Ride: '05 525iA, silvergray, steptronic, Active steering, PDC, sport seats, beige dakotaleather, poppel trim, M-sport steering wheel, star spoke 123, xenon lights, large clima, cruise control.

I first did go to the local tyre dealer but they didn?t have the required machines or the required education (expensive stuff they told me). So I called BMW Sweden and they told me I must come to them.

I?m living i Stockholm, the capitol of Sweden, think if you live in the woods, no RF?s there I?m afraid.

I drive the car on non pressure to I get the new one.

(Excuse my bad English)
Old 06-07-2005, 04:31 AM
Contributors

After a puncture you have to get it replaced anyway, so if I wouldn't worry about a few extra miles. Last time I needed new ones they were couriered in from Glasgow. That took two days.
Old 06-07-2005, 05:10 AM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by Flowerfred' date='Jun 7 2005, 01:31 PM
After a puncture you have to get it replaced anyway, so if I wouldn't worry about a few extra miles. Last time I needed new ones they were couriered in from Glasgow. That took two days.
[snapback]137064[/snapback]
Ok I appreciate that putting a few extra miles on a knackered tyre is not a problem, but you have to admit.........waiting 2 days for a tyre is annoying........what if you had to do a long motorway run c. 300 miles in those two days.........you would have had to hire a car!
Old 06-07-2005, 05:36 AM
JDN
Contributors

Some on the forum have had experience successfully repairing runflats. As long as the puncture is not on the tire wall or near the outside edge of the tread, a patch from the inside of the tire seems to work as well as with any other tire. You have to wonder why not? Just because a tire has a stronger sidewall should not be the deciding factor in determining the need to replace. Just the opposite, I would think. A stronger side wall should make a tire a better candidate for repair.
Old 06-07-2005, 05:44 AM
Members

But don?t you think that during driving on an empty RF the stronger sidewalls that hold up the tyre and are the whole thing that makes you able to continue the ride damages/consumes (bad english words, hope you understand???)

Quick Reply: What to do if you get a flat tyre