E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What are the differences?

Search this Thread

Old 05-11-2006, 04:26 PM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

First off I am new to these forums, so I would like to say HI!

What I would like to know is the following if someone could help me out.

What are the differences between a normal E60 w/ M Sports Pack and a E60 M5 in the looks department.

That I know of are the following -

EXTERNAL OF THE CAR

Exhaust
Side Fender Grills
M5 Badge
Rear Bumper
Front Bumper??? Different to E60 w/ M Sports Pack??? (Anyone Know?)
Side Skirts??? Different to E60 w/M Sports Pack??? (Anyone Know?)

INTERNAL OF THE CAR

SMG3 Gear Shift /w Buttons
Suede Roof Lining
Full Leather Dash
Seats

With the Internal parts of the car, I dont know if you can get any of these on a normal E60, if you can please point which ones out.

So thats all I know what the differences are without getting into engine etc, so if anyone else has any things that only the M5 has please let me know.

BTW a 2006 E60 M5 here in Australia is around $240,000AUD Drive Away which equales to around $186,444USD - which makes us Australian's unlucky Bastards :'(

Thanks in advance!
DR.ZOIDBERG
Old 05-11-2006, 04:33 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: 530i

front bumper:

Sideskirts looks similar
Old 05-11-2006, 04:48 PM
Members

True, side skirts do like the same
Front bumper only difference is the side parts on either side, seems to look one part on a M5 where on the normal E60 looks 2 parts. Is the mouth part of the front bumper the same size?

Going by those to photos you posted I found one other different thing -

Lights in the Front Bumper
Side Mirrors

Are the Guards on the E60 M5 the same as a normal E60? or are the pumped like the E46 M3, I dont think they are but some photos give the impression they are.
Old 05-11-2006, 05:11 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: 530i

The hood looks different to me
Old 05-11-2006, 05:16 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 545iSMGSilver GrayAuburn Dakota LeatherLogic 7 Premium SoundSports Package

Wider fenders
Oval interior Rear view mirrors?
Dash wood or aluminum trims are different sized
Steering wheel with /// color stitching and paddles
Dash is ///M (speedo, tacho)
Wheels
Old 05-11-2006, 05:56 PM
Senior Members

Air dam on the front bumper are also different. The accent around it and the black grill on the inside.

Rear view mirrors are different. Trunk trim is also different.
Old 05-11-2006, 07:17 PM
Members

Bonnet looks the same to me.
When I saw a M5 next to a normal E60 it didnt seem and wider in the fenders at all, is this right or is it wider?

Overal on the external of the E60 w/ M Sports Park there is not much difference at all. if you saw one of these behined you coming up and you were not up to date with your Bimmers you could tell the diff thats untill it gets side on and if front of you which wouldnt take tooo long at all hahaha.

Inside is fairly simlar apart the ///M parts like the speedo, SMG3 but there is no real big extra thing it has that stands right out (Exluding the SMG3)

Am I wrong?
Old 05-11-2006, 07:21 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2007 550i White/Black, SMG, Sports Pkg, Comfort Access, Nav, HUD, Satellite Radio, Anthracite Maple Trim 2006 X5 3.0, Black/Black, Sports Pkg, Premium Pkg, Xenon Adaptive Headlight, NAV, Rear Climate Pkg, Anthracite Trim

Well from the back you could tell the difference right away with the dual exhaust and the front is a little wider than the regular E60s.
Attached Thumbnails What are the differences?-back_m5.jpg   What are the differences?-e60_rear.jpg  
Old 05-11-2006, 07:41 PM
Members

My Ride: 530i Touring, M Sport, build date 10/05, Silver Grey, Black leather, Maple Anthracite, Anthracite roof lining, panorama roof, M Aerodynamic, M Steering wheel, M Sport suspension, sport seats, shadow line, 135 M wheels, Goodyear NCT 5 runflats, and some other stuff too.

Hi Doc.

I know the M5 pretty well, a good friend having both the previous and the latest, which I have driven for extended periods when he would borrow my Allroad to take to the snow.

M5 is a great car but a complete waste of time and money in Australia.

Why?

The M5 can do so much but you can't utilise it. With speed limit of 100-110km/h and speed traps everywhere means the power and performance is near useless. Many of our roads are too bumpy and harsh for the suspension/tyre setup. Paddle shifting a 7 speed gearbox is just a pain in the arse for city driving and of limited value on our pathetic freeways so you end up driving it in Auto anyway. Used around town the car sucks fuel like a drunkard. BMW claims 22.7/L per 100k city cycle, reality is closer to 25. Thats about 11mpg in the old scale...YIKES.

Frankly the 540i M Sport will give you all the performance you could effectively use for $100,000 less.

So endeth the lecture.
Old 05-11-2006, 08:56 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2005 530i JETBLACK/BLACK DAKOTA, COLD WEATHER PKG, PREMIUM PKG, ADAPTIVE XENON HEADLIGHTS, AUTO TRANSMISSION WITH 6 SPEED STEPTRONIC, BLUETOOTH SETUP,SAT SETUP AND WIFE AS CO-PILOT

the hood does look different... on the m5 looks like 2 lines on the on each side of the hood.. and the e60 has one...on each side.... the m5 hood looks more aggressive..ericd

Quick Reply: What are the differences?