E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

What is the craziest thing that happened to your E60?

Search this Thread

Old 11-13-2008, 09:44 AM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 520d LCI, old engine, manual, black dakota, platingrau II, standard (242?) rims.

I drove in reverse, sure that there was nothing in my way. Suddenly I hear beep beeeep BANG! I checked to see what I hit and it turned out that I hit a pole.
The strangest thing: although the pole had broken off at ground level (indicating that I hit it with some speed), I could not find visible damage to the car at first.

It turned out that I hit the pole with my exhaust. The was no damage at all to the exhaust (or the rest of the exhaust setup, which I checked later). No damage whats-o-ever!

Unfortunately I haven't always been so lucky...
Old 11-13-2008, 10:10 AM
Contributors

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My Ride: 2007 530i. Purchased 6/28/07. Titanium Silver Metallic, Black Dakota Leather, Dark Poplar Trim, Steptronic, Premium Package, Cold Weather Package, Bluetooth, Adaptive Control Xenons. 10/30/07 Added OEM 124s with 245/40/18 & 275/35/18 Michelin Pilot Sport A/S tires. Installed red Cal Covers� from BavAuto. 11/21/07 Added OEM all-weather floor mats (for winter, carpet in summer) and coat rack. 6/26/08 installed M5-style rear spoiler. 6/30/08 put on red reflectors. 8/22/08 Euro turn signal stickers applied. 3/20/09 Installed Shadowline Trim. 3/27/09 Added Matte Black Kidney Grilles from Trinity. 4/03/09 Installed Bimmian Shadow Matte Black 530i Badges. 4/04/09 Installed LED license plate lights from Trinity. 5/01/09 Installed Brabus Interior LED Kit and White Angel Eyes. 5/02/09 Put in Brabus 6K Fogs. 5/14/09 Removed charcoal filter. 5/15/09 Installed light smoke LED side marker lamps from Trinity. 5/21/09 Sprint Booster. 6/12/09 Painted exhaust tips flat black. 6/13/09 Pulled red Cal Covers and painted calipers low gloss black. 6/27/09 RPI Ram Air Scoop from Trinity. 8/15/09 Installed Brabus's silver invisibulbs front and rear. 9/24/09 Installed R-Dash license plate LEDs from Brabaus (John).

Originally Posted by MacoBMW4life' post='719196' date='Nov 12 2008, 01:00 PM
LOL! at least you know your bluetooth in your car works !
Yeah, and a helluva lot more sensitive than I thought!
Old 11-14-2008, 06:18 AM
Members

My Ride: 2005 Titanium Gray 545 Sport Package

Originally Posted by rrnag30' post='719116' date='Nov 12 2008, 12:30 PM
close call, well i was changing my angle eye bulbs and scratched my big hands trying to place LED that stupid small hole. I'm 6'3 220lbs, the hole in the headlight casing is about 3 inches wide...not cool. ohhhhhhhhhhhh wait a sec. ok, so driving at around 730 am highway travel. traffic is getting thick so i decide that it is time to cut and weave to prevent getting caught in any type of bottle neck. so i end up getting stuck behind this B#@#$ cruising at like 65mph; all of a sudden i see this rock like thing the size of my fist, (see above for size reference), flying at me. of course i am about 4 feet behind this B*#$# who decided to run over a rock the size of Gibraltar. needless to say i managed to avoid contact with my front end, only to have it strike my side panel under the side mirror. The chip is about half an inch long and to the bone, i mean the bone...... well that day was a horrific experience for anyone who made contact with me.
I think if that would of happened to me I would have taken the license plate down of the truck and filed a police report to get that fixed. Something similar happened while driving our Jeep (daily driver) 4X4 flew out the black of this truck missed hood and windshield but hit side mirror. The wife was PISSED to say the very least, since it wasn't my car I was just a little upset.
Old 11-14-2008, 02:49 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2008 535i, 6spd mtx, Monaco Blue w/Beige interior. Sport, Preimum, Logic 7/HD/I-Pod/USB, Nav sys, rear sunshade, HUD, PDC, Split seats,

Crazy as in extremely bad luck on the Debrisway (freeway). Drove to San Diego on business and stopped at a small market to get a bottle of water for the trip home. Came out and someone had gouged out a 1/4" by 2" long scratch into the center of my hood...down to the alum base. I was pissed and still numb when driving about 10 mins later on the I5 North when a very tiny pebble hit the edge of my windshield resulting in a 10" crack right in the driver's line of sight...couldn't believe my bad luck and swore never to drive on the SoCal Debrisway again (HUD System $1700.00 to replace)!! About 3 months later I was driving home from Pasadena and an idiot in an old Honda sideswiped a traffic cone and launched it into my grill at 75mph....the front bumper fascia, lower grills, brake ducting, oil cooler and lower engine pan were all damaged....$1500.00's (out of my pocket) later - it's fixed. But this 535i has a demon curse or something for the SoCal freeways as I have never had this kind of damage on my other cars....I'm really trying hard to keep it off the debrisway...but it's frustrating as I bought the car to drive it - not just let it sit in the garage!!

Forgot, right after I took delivery of my new 535, I had to go to Bakersfield (ug) and had an issue. I avoid dirt/rock trucks like the plague (am always mystified why they seem to be hauling the same dirt back and forth via the freeway), anyway, I'm in the center lane allowing lots of room around my brand new sparkling 535i (ordered from Germany just the way I wanted it) and low and behold a stupid dirt truck comes hauling onto the freeway and rather than staying in the slow lane he swerves into the center lane about 50 feet in front of me...there's traffic in the fast lane so I quickly swerve inito the slow lane just so I don't have to be right behind him and sure as shi+, (just as I'm crossing the lane dividers into the slow lane) I see something coming at my windshield about the size of a bumblebee...turns out it's a rock from the truck and it (get this) hits the driver's SIDE window right at about head height and takes a chunk of the side window glass out...sheesh...can't catch a break :thumbsdown:
Old 11-14-2008, 03:08 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2008 535i, 6spd mtx, Monaco Blue w/Beige interior. Sport, Preimum, Logic 7/HD/I-Pod/USB, Nav sys, rear sunshade, HUD, PDC, Split seats,

Originally Posted by CWS530' post='719172' date='Nov 12 2008, 10:41 AM
This one may be off topic as it seems to be more about accidents, but the OP asked about "crazy" things, and I had something kinda crazy/funny happen. Anyway, I was in for a state inspection at the dealership in July, which they were really nice to do while I waited over my lunch hour. So, I'm in the waiting room making phone calls to work, my wife, even my mom called, which was a little odd. No, I'm not one of those loud phone jerks--the place was basically empty.

So, my SA comes in and tells me it's ready, I pay, and walk to my car. As I approach, the phone rings and I start talking only to realize the voice also was coming through my speakers. The Bluetooth had been picking up my calls the whole time! I was over 50-60 feet from my car, so I didn't think it was an issue. The mechanic whom had been doing my inspection just burst out laughing. I laughed too, but I just wanted to crawl under a rock. I mean, there's no telling what I said to so many different people!
Wow, I had a similar experience with my 535's bluetooth as well. I was in a business meeting with 3 associates and had my cell in my briefcase on mute. Well walking back to the car, I opened the doors and we all climbed in and started to drive away...imagine our surprise when a voice started yelling out of the cars audio system, "Brad, ARE YOU THERE, CAN YOU HEAR ME" - we all about freaked out - then laughed over that one .
Old 11-14-2008, 03:45 PM
Contributors

My Ride: .
Model Year: .

With a cold front coming in, it's been a very windy day here at the Dallas/Ft.Worth metroplex. On my drive home, I was distantly behind a construction truck (hauling debris). Granted that it was covered, the winds managed to dislodge something from the truck contents and it lands on my lane, luckily I was far enough behind and managed to switch lanes in time. Otherwise, it would've been a new hood, bumper and paint work
Old 11-14-2008, 04:01 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: 04' 545i

130 in a 50 zone got stopped.
upstate ny stopped right at someones fender on the highway at high speed.
got rear ended by a cab.
Old 11-14-2008, 07:15 PM
Contributors

Location: Originally from Koeln, Deutschland. Enjoying it in Bonita Springs, Florida Now :)

This doesn't really pertain to me, but, I saw 3 car crashes on the way home. These crashes where within 5 miles of each other, and one of them flipped upside down.
Old 11-14-2008, 07:34 PM
Members

My Ride: 2007 530i, white/black manual, sports package, nav, PDC, etc.

Have PDC. Backed into parallel parking space and scratched my rear bumper against the neighboring car's license plate screws!
Old 11-14-2008, 07:44 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: Black/BlacK

2 lane highway going at speed on the right side, dude on the fast lane doesnt want to let me get ahead, up ahead the high way turns to 3 lanes becauses theres a merging line to the right. a truck is merging on and his side/wheel (long truck turning in couldnt stay in lane) ends up in my lane while hes trying to turn back into his, asshole to my left, side of a truck in front. I step on it hard and manage to cut in front of the guy to my left narrowly missing being smushed into the side of a 18 wheeler adrenaline pumping I realized how close that was

Quick Reply: What is the craziest thing that happened to your E60?