E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

What color is my car?

Search this Thread

Old 07-15-2010, 07:37 AM
Contributors

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Kryptus
Wow so blind people can drive now? Kudos to you for not letting a disability get in the way of your dreams! =P

Also, everyone please try not to misspell anything as it would screw up his speech software.

(I'm sorry, but i just had to!)

purple. wait what
Old 07-16-2010, 12:17 AM
Senior Members

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
My Ride: E60 530i

Originally Posted by xBMWx
If you click on "5 Series Information Network" at the top of this page, then click on "Information" at the top of that page, you can then click to see a list of all different Exterior Colours offered on the Pre-LCI and LCI E60/E61.

Here is the direct link: https://5series.net/information/options/exterior/

With regards to lots of different versions of the same colour, I thought that the paint code was the only identifier, e.g. A08, and not extra numbers. When I had my M5 parts painted, I simply quoted the Carbon Black code that I found in the link above. Carbon Black has been offered on all sorts of BMW models and I received a perfect paint match.

So I am a little confused about AchtungE60's comment above that there are different versions of "the same colour".
I know there was Silver Grey for the pre-LCI E60 with paint code "A08" and then there was a VERY similar colour with the LCI E60 called Space Grey with paint code "A52". So although they look like similar colours, the paint codes are different. Maybe this is maybe what AchtungE60's referring to Hope fully AchtungE60 can clarify...

Sure I'll clarify....... A08 is Silver Grey aka SilberGrau. I currently own two vehicles with this color and it comes in 7 different shades. I paint often and know what I'm talking about. This holds true for any BMW. Alpine white aka AlpineWiess is the most difficult color to match due to the different shades of blue, yellow and different shades of grey in each. WIth SilberGrau it is easier to match. YOu have to blend all paints into the existing panels and it is easier with a metallic paint.

Pick the paint that closely matches yours on the swatch then go to the next one that also appears to match yours. So you'll have a dark and a light color and both are VERY close they can almost fool you. Don't be fooled. Thin the paint appropriately. 1:1 ratio (buy a pint, it turns into a quart thinned.........so buy a pint and have them put it in a quart can) Start with the lighter color and then continue to add the darker color until you have the perfect match. Do this in sunlight and get a 2nd and 3rd opinion. Or yours can could end up like Margarita..........I haven't had time to match her up. Well i have but the tree guy dropped a palm on the rear quarter panel so i'm just waiting until she sustains more abuse.
Attached Thumbnails What color is my car?-dsc03131.jpg   What color is my car?-dsc03134.jpg   What color is my car?-dsc03136.jpg   What color is my car?-dsc03137.jpg  
Old 07-16-2010, 02:05 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2007 530d M Sport Automatic, Le Mans Edition.Le Mans Blue Individual Paint Special, Syrah Blue Individual Leather, Piano Black Individual Interior Trim, Front seat heating,M Double Spoke 172 19

Originally Posted by BLooD
Can`t find that plate on mine, it`s like they didn't fit it.
On UK models it is more difficult to find - it is behind the passenger side headlamp assembly on the vertical bodywork - you need a torch.
Old 07-16-2010, 02:09 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2006 530 d M-sport e60

Chears tooltec
Old 07-16-2010, 03:00 AM
Contributors

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My Ride: Jan 2006 E63 650i Sport . Options: Sport version (includes: sport-seats, sport-suspension, M-Sport steering wheel, Anthracite headliner, Shaddow Line), Saphire Black, Black Dakota Leather, Anthracite Maple Wood trim, Steptronic Auto, Xenons, NAV-Professional with Voice Control, TV, CD-Changer, Bluetooth, Logic7, Head-up Display, Comfort Access, Seat Heating front, Auto Dimming & Folding Mirrors, Extended Auto Air Conditioning, PDC. . Mods: Spacers 5mm front & 15mm rear . Wheels: 20" Alpina Softline (Classic) with Dunlop Sport Maxx non-RFT (255/35/20 & 285/30/20)

Originally Posted by AchtungE60
Sure I'll clarify....... A08 is Silver Grey aka SilberGrau. I currently own two vehicles with this color and it comes in 7 different shades. I paint often and know what I'm talking about. This holds true for any BMW. Alpine white aka AlpineWiess is the most difficult color to match due to the different shades of blue, yellow and different shades of grey in each. WIth SilberGrau it is easier to match. YOu have to blend all paints into the existing panels and it is easier with a metallic paint.

Pick the paint that closely matches yours on the swatch then go to the next one that also appears to match yours. So you'll have a dark and a light color and both are VERY close they can almost fool you. Don't be fooled. Thin the paint appropriately. 1:1 ratio (buy a pint, it turns into a quart thinned.........so buy a pint and have them put it in a quart can) Start with the lighter color and then continue to add the darker color until you have the perfect match. Do this in sunlight and get a 2nd and 3rd opinion. Or yours can could end up like Margarita..........I haven't had time to match her up. Well i have but the tree guy dropped a palm on the rear quarter panel so i'm just waiting until she sustains more abuse.
Thanks for the explanation and sorry to hear about what happened to your rear quarter panel. Sounds like your tree guy should also get some abuse!

So how do the likes of me identify which colour to request when going to a paint shop? And would a paint shop then know where to get the necessary specs to create that colour? Or do they simply take the basic info like the colour code and then have to take the approach you outlined above?
Old 07-16-2010, 03:44 AM
Members

My Ride: 2004 535d Msport Auto, Silver, 18" Alloys Engine Remapped - 315 bhp (apparently), Black Badges, Bright white Angels & Fogs, M-Tech Badge Front Grill, rear LCI upgrade

Originally Posted by tooltec
On UK models it is more difficult to find - it is behind the passenger side headlamp assembly on the vertical bodywork - you need a torch.
I have searched for this a few times... Why put it there?
Old 07-16-2010, 04:51 AM
Contributors

Originally Posted by tooltec
They do that with all cars reassembled from parts bins or shredders.
Old 07-16-2010, 04:58 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2007 530d M Sport Automatic, Le Mans Edition.Le Mans Blue Individual Paint Special, Syrah Blue Individual Leather, Piano Black Individual Interior Trim, Front seat heating,M Double Spoke 172 19

Originally Posted by rtobin
I have searched for this a few times... Why put it there?
Your guess is as good as mine.
Old 07-17-2010, 11:32 PM
Senior Members

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
My Ride: E60 530i

Originally Posted by xBMWx
Thanks for the explanation and sorry to hear about what happened to your rear quarter panel. Sounds like your tree guy should also get some abuse!

So how do the likes of me identify which colour to request when going to a paint shop? And would a paint shop then know where to get the necessary specs to create that colour? Or do they simply take the basic info like the colour code and then have to take the approach you outlined above?

To be quite honest. IF....And that's if you're lucky, you can have them digitally scan a piece of your vehicle to get a "paint-match".....even that will be an 90% match not a 100%. If you've had paintwork done and they're scanning on that part then you're definitely not going to get a 90% match. If the place you're going to does not have the expensive equipment to do that then you'll have to resort to the way that professional painters do it and start with the base A08 and then keep adding. However to save yourself time, most places will have a color swatch that corresponds to pre-inputs on their computer software and you can match those up in sunlight. Just be sure to pick the two best matches and then you'll have to mix those. After that it's mix and match time on a panel that's already painted. Clean and wax panel first. Get a tiny paintbrush and start drawing lines. When finished use reducer or thinner to clean it off after you feel you've matched it.
Old 07-19-2010, 06:24 AM
Members

My Ride: E60 525i

Mine (Hong Kong Car) is on the driver's door frame together with the tire pressure info.
Attached Thumbnails What color is my car?-img_0767a.jpg  

Quick Reply: What color is my car?