E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

What is a college student to do?!!

Search this Thread

Old 08-10-2010, 10:12 PM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hey, Guys!! 1st of all I must say the e60 is one of the best car design i have ever seen! That menacing look that it pose when you look at is incredible Well,I'm about to graduate next year in may2011 from Texas State University(GO Bobcats) & I'm really thinking about purchasing a e60 after i graduate. I have been looking at used e60s between the year 2005-2007. So, far I have seen prices from 14,000 to 28,000 and up, with mileage from 100+ to lower. Now, the million dollar questions are: Are these cars good when used(because I'm shocked a e60 would be sold for 14,0000), should buy would from a used bmw dealership, & finally as much i LOVE this car would this be good for a soon to graduate college student who would have to finance this car himself? Thanks Guys! E60 rocks!!!
Old 08-10-2010, 10:27 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: 545 modded the F out

Truth of the matter is that our cars depreciate in value significantly after a period of time. Also, being that the F10 was recently introduced the market value for the e60 was brought down a bit. At the end of the day even if an e60 can be bought for 14k you won't find a sport luxury sedan that looks as beautiful as this one. It kinda makes me sad that my 04 545 is probably only around 19-20k even with low mileage, but I still am completely satisfied with its performance, looks and timeless design.

As for your second question, it really all depends if you do your hmwk prior to purchasing whichever year and model you end up with. The real killer is if you ever have to pay out of pocket for services that you can't do yourself. After browsing the forum a bit in regards to everything I mentioned Im sure you'll make the right decision. There are TONS and tons of cool people on here that will always be willing to help you out. GL with your future purchase and early congrats on graduating.

** if you could afford it tho I say look into the LCI models.
Old 08-10-2010, 10:39 PM
Members

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My Ride: 2004 525i, Silver Gray Metallic on gray, Logic7,Adaptive Xenons
Model Year: 2004
Engine: M54

In my opinion you really can't go wrong in buying any BMW. My 2004 E60 had 44,000 miles on it when I bought it for around $17k. 6k miles later, not a single problem. My dad purchased his current E39 with 90k miles on it for $13K 6 years ago, now at about 180k miles it hasn't had a problem yet. If you're going to buy used a 5 series is a great choice.

Be sure to look out for signs of a "not so trustworthy" previous owner such as a young teenage girl or 75 year old grandma (both of whom park by feel) including but not limited to the front bumper and side skirts being chewed up, the lip of the door being destroyed from carelessly opening the door in tight parking, and chances are its routine maintenance wasn't kept up with. For example I feel sorry for the fool who buys my sister's Audi A4 2.8 quattro when she's done with it, oil was just changed after 30k miles

If you want to play it safe, opt for an older E60 with lower mileage rather than a new one with high mileage. Divide the number of miles by the age of the car, if it's much more than 15k-20k miles per year you can assume the previous owner drove a lot, all the time, not always a bad thing but more miles in less time typically equals problems sooner. But "problems" is all relative when it comes to BMW's, there aren't many at all.
Old 08-10-2010, 10:45 PM
Members

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My Ride: 2004 525i, Silver Gray Metallic on gray, Logic7,Adaptive Xenons
Model Year: 2004
Engine: M54

I bought mine from a 3rd party dealership and to be honest, there's no reason to buy from a BMW dealership unless you want a CPO. And the only reason to do that is for routine maintenance and unexpected problems. Even if you can't do the simplest things like change your own oil, buy the appropriate Castrol Syntec and the appropriate filter yourself from an autoparts store and have them do it, or take the oil and filter to a garage of your choice for them to do it. I do everything myself and it's much cheaper than how ever much BMW charges for an out of warranty car. Long story short, buy the cheapest, low mileage car, not from BMW.

That's my thoughts on the matter.
Old 08-11-2010, 12:53 AM
Members

Thx, guys! Would guys recommend buying an Extended Car Warranty, If i was to buy it from a non-bmw dealer?
Old 08-11-2010, 12:55 AM
Senior Members

I'm a college student and I bought my e60 07 530 with 59k miles for 21k. I put 10 down and got it financed for 4 years at 3.9 or 4.9%, I can't remember.

There are good deals on e60s and financing right now so I say go for it!
Old 08-11-2010, 04:45 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2004 530i

Hey man, the E-60 is the BEST sedan to buy. I purchased a used 2004 530i for $19,000 from a BMW dealer 30 days ago ( originally sold there ). It only had 49k and was stored in the winters ( Buffffffalo ). HONESTLY - I will NEVER buy anything but a Bimmer going forward. I feel as though I am driving a BRAND NEW vehicle. The menacing look and the sick paint job gets more looks than a 2010 c-class. I will have pics as soon as I purchase my 19" OEM-M166's on it ------ CAN'T wait . BUY one - you won't regret it.
Old 08-11-2010, 04:54 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: 08 528I Sport/Prem

I just bought an 08 528i about two weeks ago for 27.9k. It has 70k on it, but I know for sure that those are 90% highway miles. So I think I made an awesome choice. I believe I got a great deal considering the KBB value is still in the 33k+ range

I been loving every minute of it so far. It was extremely well kept up. This is hands down the best car I have ever owned.
Old 08-11-2010, 05:07 AM
Members

Bought my 2008 528i with 28k miles, CPO'd for $32k.

Figured a 4yr/72k mile warranty cant be beat, better warranty than a new one. Originally though i was looking for much lower priced one with a bigger motor, but i sold what was beginning to amount to a maintenance pit, and didnt want to get into another for some time. The difference is you pay for it month in, month out, as opposed to when it hits you down the road, unexpectedly.

In any event, you cannot go wrong with any E60. Outside of the M cars, the E60 cars command their share of notoriety on the road with its timeless sport-lux design and engineering. For a platform 6 yrs old, those angels and menacing stance turn heads even in stock form. Its beauty in motion.
Old 08-11-2010, 06:44 AM
Members

Eok-
Fisrt off Eat Em Up Cats. 2007 Graduate of the McCoy College of Business. I am sure I am going to catch some flack for this but, I wouldn't buy an 04. They have some first year gremlins like most cars. Is power important b/c you have several engine choices? What are you looking to spend? If you are financing the car you shouldn't pay more than 5%, assuming you have good credit and decent income. I found my wife's 05 545i with 39,000, no accidents, still under CPO warranty for another 15 months, out the door 22,000. I have a Mercedes CLK500, I wish the 545 was mine-lol.

Quick Reply: What is a college student to do?!!