E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

What is best way to burn rubber in a 545?

Search this Thread

Old 09-18-2004, 02:30 PM
Contributors

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: Now Driving a Freakin' Prius! Was... 2004 545i | SMG | White/Black | Sport | NAV | Logic 7 | PDC | Fold-down Seats | Adaptive Headlights | Cold Weather Pkg | Clear-again Bra | Mud Flaps | Bluetooth | Coat Hangar | Aux Input | All Weather Mats | 18"X8.5" BBS RK w/ Michelin Pilot Alpin's (winter) | New steering rack @ 1.2K & 17K miles| Software V.19.1 | B&B Exhaust (vrrrroooooommm!) <---Click.

Hey jtxc, 1 tire or 2?
Old 09-18-2004, 03:07 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2009 528xi, Jet Black, Black Dakota Leather, Poplar Wood, Steptronic Transmission, Premium Package, Cold Weather Package

Originally Posted by realtyman' date='Sep 18 2004, 04:08 PM
Yes, that is very bad for an automatic transmission.

I believe that he's describing the technique for SMG.
oh ok, cuz i neutral dropped my plymouth neon to death
Old 09-18-2004, 04:10 PM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by Jimbo' date='Sep 18 2004, 09:10 AM
turn of the dsc, put some water in front of both tires, move forward into the water and floor it.

damage? you takes your chances anytime you push your ride.
I'm assuming you have a manual. Breaking the rear loose at least a few times and burning rubber are mandatory for proper manual transmission break-in. You don't need no stinkin' water to burn rubber. I just peeled out a nice set of double strips from a stop sign - prob about 50' long. As said in a previous post, turn off DSC, 4000 rpm, dump clutch, push throttle. If you want to stay on the throttle hard, you can really smoke 'em. You'll be suprised how easy it is to 'light 'em up'.

There isn't enough HP or traction in the rear wheels to damage anything in the car. If you make a habit of doing it though, you'll need a new clutch a bit sooner than otherwise.
Old 09-18-2004, 05:28 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2009 528xi, Jet Black, Black Dakota Leather, Poplar Wood, Steptronic Transmission, Premium Package, Cold Weather Package

Originally Posted by wolverine' date='Sep 18 2004, 07:10 PM
[quote name='Jimbo' date='Sep 18 2004, 09:10 AM'] turn of the dsc, put some water in front of both tires, move forward into the water and floor it.

damage? you takes your chances anytime you push your ride.
I'm assuming you have a manual. Breaking the rear loose at least a few times and burning rubber are mandatory for proper manual transmission break-in. You don't need no stinkin' water to burn rubber. I just peeled out a nice set of double strips from a stop sign - prob about 50' long. As said in a previous post, turn off DSC, 4000 rpm, dump clutch, push throttle. If you want to stay on the throttle hard, you can really smoke 'em. You'll be suprised how easy it is to 'light 'em up'.

There isn't enough HP or traction in the rear wheels to damage anything in the car. If you make a habit of doing it though, you'll need a new clutch a bit sooner than otherwise. [/quote]
Sorry for my ignorance, but what exactly does "dumping" the clutch mean?
Old 09-18-2004, 06:32 PM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by realtyman' date='Sep 18 2004, 04:30 PM
Hey jtxc, 1 tire or 2?
Of course I was'nt watching at the time but it had to have been both tires because I went into a seudo power slide. It really is'nt "burning rubber " because of the water but the effect is the same without tearing up too much tread. Once I steptroniced (sp) into second the rear end snaped back
Old 09-18-2004, 06:36 PM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by Viper786' date='Sep 18 2004, 07:28 PM
Usually you let the clutch out slowly. When you "Dump" the clutch you just let it out quickly, with no resistence and high rpm's.
Old 09-18-2004, 08:00 PM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by Viper786' date='Sep 18 2004, 03:28 PM
same as "dumping" your girlfriend .
Old 09-18-2004, 08:15 PM
Super Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My Ride: G30 M550i
Model Year: 2018

Originally Posted by realtyman' date='Sep 18 2004, 02:59 PM
Hey Rudy, I hate to tell you but you're wrong on that one.? It's the other way around.
realtyman, I beg to differ...

If you press the DSC switch momentarily, the DTC light comes on and the HUD says "DTC active!" (The iDrive screen status bar says something like "DTC active! DSC limited!")

If I press and hold the button for more than four seconds, the HUD (and I think the iDrive status bar) says "DSC inactive!"

What that means is that a quick press of the DSC switch disables all of the functions of DSC except DTC so technically, DSC is only "semi-active" since DTC is a part of DSC. Once you hold the button down, the DTC is disabled which means that now every DSC component is now inactive. (Except, I think, for the component that uses AS to countersteer a pending oversteer situation.)

In your instructions, you said:

Originally Posted by realtyman @ Sep 18 2004' date=' 02:56 PM
Pressing the button once will turn off the DTC but will limit (not eliminate) DSC. The iDrive screen will say DTC disabled and DSC limited.
If you press down on the button for 3 or more seconds it will deactivate both DTC and DSC. You'll see two warnings on your dash.
Go back and re-read your iDrive screen after pressing the button once. It will not say DTC disabled, it will say DTC activated. There are minor differences between the HUD message and the iDrive message. I may have confused the enabled/activated, disabled/inactive messages but either way, it's clearly operating the way I describe.
Old 09-18-2004, 08:44 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2011 F10 528i - Imperial Blue, Oyster/Black, Premium, Premium 2, Cold Weather, Xenons.

If you really want alot of smoke... add some bleach to the water put in front of your tires
Old 09-19-2004, 06:38 AM
Contributors

My Ride: Now Driving a Freakin' Prius! Was... 2004 545i | SMG | White/Black | Sport | NAV | Logic 7 | PDC | Fold-down Seats | Adaptive Headlights | Cold Weather Pkg | Clear-again Bra | Mud Flaps | Bluetooth | Coat Hangar | Aux Input | All Weather Mats | 18"X8.5" BBS RK w/ Michelin Pilot Alpin's (winter) | New steering rack @ 1.2K & 17K miles| Software V.19.1 | B&B Exhaust (vrrrroooooommm!) <---Click.

realtyman, I beg to differ...
Hey Rudy, you are correct.
That explains why it would kick in when the tires started to spin.

I'll post this pic before someone else does.
Attached Thumbnails What is best way to burn rubber in a 545?-headupass.jpg  

Quick Reply: What is best way to burn rubber in a 545?