E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

What is best way to burn rubber in a 545?

Search this Thread

Old 09-18-2004, 07:05 AM
Senior Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 11 550i Sophisto Gray/Oyster Black/Anthracite, Sprt Trns, DHP, IAS, SP, PP1, PP2, CWP, HUD, DAP, AVSP, SF RS, CA, ACC - Euro Del

I want to make a cool photograph of my 545 with 3,000 miles on it, burning rubber . What is proper technique? What is the proper pavement? Will I damge my 5er?
Old 09-18-2004, 07:10 AM
Senior Members

turn of the dsc, put some water in front of both tires, move forward into the water and floor it.

damage? you takes your chances anytime you push your ride.
Old 09-18-2004, 07:35 AM
Contributors

Here's a tip..

Attached Thumbnails What is best way to burn rubber in a 545?-briquet.jpg  
Old 09-18-2004, 08:17 AM
Senior Members

don't know if it would be possible to do it on the e60
Old 09-18-2004, 09:22 AM
Contributors

My Ride: Now Driving a Freakin' Prius! Was... 2004 545i | SMG | White/Black | Sport | NAV | Logic 7 | PDC | Fold-down Seats | Adaptive Headlights | Cold Weather Pkg | Clear-again Bra | Mud Flaps | Bluetooth | Coat Hangar | Aux Input | All Weather Mats | 18"X8.5" BBS RK w/ Michelin Pilot Alpin's (winter) | New steering rack @ 1.2K & 17K miles| Software V.19.1 | B&B Exhaust (vrrrroooooommm!) <---Click.

1st of all I'm assuming that you have an automatic transmisson? But here's my thoughts on all three assuming you are doing this in a straight line from a dead stop.

Automatic Transmission: Turn Off DTC and DSC. Put it in sport mode 1st gear, left foot on the brake (all the way) and right foot on the gas (about 1/2). Once sufficient tourque has been built up release the brake and mash the gas all the way down. Hold on and keep the car straight. As long as you don't hit anything nothing should break. If you need a little assistance, try water first. If that doesn't get you the required result then a little puddle of baby oil just in front of the tire works quite well (will need to clean up the bottom of the rear quater panel after). Once smoking, try modulating the throttle near redline to avoid shifting.

Six Speed Manual: Turn Off DTC and DSC. Rev it up to around 4,000 rpm and dump the clutch. (No baby oil needed).

SMG: Much harder to do. Turn Off DTC and DSC. Best shot is with accelleration assist, although the 1 time that I tried it I didn't get much spin but it surely shifted quite hard so I'd think an accellerant would help. Although if you are going to some "help" try it first without AA.

If all else fails, try turning right (45-90 degrees) with the gas mashed down (with DTC and DSC off of course) and that should do the trick (harder for a photo op, thought).

Once you have tried it, let us know if you have just one strip or two. I'm guessing it'll only light up the passengers rear tire as I don't think the 545i has a Limited Slip Differential (can anyone confirm this? Lomag?).

Here's why I think that.
Attached Thumbnails What is best way to burn rubber in a 545?-dscn0506.jpg  
Old 09-18-2004, 10:18 AM
Contributors

Oh boy! I rather stay off this topic.

I was going to suggest to get a honda civic and use it as a ginny pig first before you
mess around with such an expensive and love piece of art.

I ride for joy!

Old 09-18-2004, 10:46 AM
Contributors

My Ride: Now Driving a Freakin' Prius! Was... 2004 545i | SMG | White/Black | Sport | NAV | Logic 7 | PDC | Fold-down Seats | Adaptive Headlights | Cold Weather Pkg | Clear-again Bra | Mud Flaps | Bluetooth | Coat Hangar | Aux Input | All Weather Mats | 18"X8.5" BBS RK w/ Michelin Pilot Alpin's (winter) | New steering rack @ 1.2K & 17K miles| Software V.19.1 | B&B Exhaust (vrrrroooooommm!) <---Click.

It's raining pretty hard here today so the roads are all wet. I can say with certainty that the 545i does NOT have a limited slip. It must use the electonics to take care of that need. For those looking to burn rubber - you have to have DSC off as well as DTC. In my limited experience (and no I don't burn rubber on a regular basis) the DSC will intervene when serious slippage is detected.
Old 09-18-2004, 10:52 AM
Contributors

I want to make a cool photograph of my 545 with 3,000 miles on it, burning rubber
Hey pharding, why don't you get us all a vid clip of that.
Old 09-18-2004, 10:53 AM
Contributors

Pardon my ignorance, but isn't there just one switch for dsc and dtc? How do you swith them off seperately?
Old 09-18-2004, 10:56 AM
Contributors

Pressing the button once will turn off the DTC but will limit (not eliminate) DSC. The iDrive screen will say DTC disabled and DSC limited.
If you press down on the button for 3 or more seconds it will deactivate both DTC and DSC. You'll see two warnings on your dash.

Quick Reply: What is best way to burn rubber in a 545?