E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

what is this?

Search this Thread

Old 04-05-2010, 04:16 PM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 2004 BMW 545I M sport suspension Active Steering M sport interior Navi Low ride sports

that would be a power steering resevoir. make sure to use the proper fluid when topping up. if your e60 is not equipped with active steering i believe you are able to use atf fluid. (automatic transmission fluid) the red colour. but it should say on the cap. if equipped with active steering it should be CHS 11S hydraulic fluid. if it does not say get the vin number for the car and call the parts department at your local bmw dealer and ask which kind of fluid it takes. read the dipstick markings when topping up. good luck
Old 04-06-2010, 08:53 PM
Contributors

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My Ride: Jet Black '05 545i, Sport/Premium Pkg, Steptronic, Adaptive Xenon, Nav, L7, Blue2th, PDC,

Thats the Glory Hole (haha) aka Power Steering Reservior.

I had the same leak. The outside of the canister showed sign of leakage but I couldn't visually find one. I think my cap may have been partially opened/loose. I noticed this when idrive gave me a warning about a "steering malfunction." I was low on fluid so I bought a 1 liter can of CHS 11S from the dealer and topped it off.

This Pentosin fluid is expensive and only my dealer had it, in a 1 liter can and all I needed was a few tablespoons....
Old 04-18-2010, 12:23 AM
Contributors

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
My Ride: BMW
Model Year: 2006

In another forum, I read that all E60s use CHS 11S for with and without active steering. That green cap indicates NON-active steering and a plain black cap has active steering.

Balbs
Old 04-18-2010, 03:30 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2007 550i Jet Black|Black Options: Sport|Premium|Cold Weather|PDC|Nav|Satellite Radio|Active Steering|Convenience Entry Mods: Trinity Side Skirts|Trinity Black Grilles|LCI Tail Lights with Bruce V6|Fog Light Bezel Rings|MTEC V2 Angel Eyes|LED License Plate Lights

Originally Posted by BET530
I recently open my hood and saw a little residual fluid leak on the side, i open to see that the fluid is half full? i dnt if this is to be filled to the top? can any one help?
I agree with the others it is likely power steering. I had a similar situation in my e39 528.

Take a look at the top of the cap and you will see that there is a probably a small hole (by design) in one of the ridges that I believe is built to allow expansion. I think the fluid sometimes comes out of there.

There may not be a problem with what you are seeing. I'd clean off the unit really well and see if it continues. Also, you might want to take the "drip pan" off the bottom of your engine compartment and see if there is a stain from pooling of fluid.
Old 04-18-2010, 07:18 AM
DTD
Senior Members

My Ride: 550i 2009 Mod. with tints all around. Got Splitter and Spoiler coming. May do an exhaust.

BET I have the exact Auto. I have 55,000 miles on mine and have never seen that expansion. How many miles have you hit?
Will stay in touch with little stuff. Dan