E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

Wet weather problem - noise & vibration.

Search this Thread

Old 08-03-2007, 09:40 AM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hello all, I'm brand new to this forum, but have had my 530d M Touring since May 06.(new). I'm very pleased with it's fault free performance- until now.

In the recent very wet weather here in the UK I have noticed (and so has my wife - which shows how bad it is) a very disconcerting noise and vibration whilst driving on very wet roads. I'm not talking flooded, nor just normal wet, but very wet roads having lying water or water running across them - probably 10mm deep?? No bow waves or anything like that.

Anyway, when driving through this at a sensible speed (30 - 45mph ) the same as everyone else or even slower than that, a 'thrumming' noise starts, the engine seems to loose power and generally the car feels sick. I'd describe it as feeling like losing one of the 6 cylinders, being in too high a gear whilst running over rumble strips. When the car reaches 'normal' wet surface it runs like a 530d should.

The engine bay is clean as a whistle with no sign of water intrusion - which is what I would expect at the speed I was going.

It's booked into dealer for a diagnostic-check in case of electrical fault. They have already indicated that they don't have a clue what may be causing it and can offer no weather testing except to"wait for a heavy downpour of rain"

CJ
Old 08-03-2007, 12:09 PM
Contributors

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have a 530d (saloon not touring) and am also in the UK. Having driven the car in the recent floods, up to a few inches deep at a fairly decent speed (the kids like it when the water splashes high all over the car), I've had no problems at all. Sounds like you definitely have a problem, unfortunately I can't offer any insight other than to say it's not right!!