E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

Well, it had to happen!

Search this Thread

Old 10-16-2004, 01:35 PM
Members
Senior Members

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My Ride: BMW

I got my first flat tire in my 545. The tire monitor went off and I figured its probably a software problem but I stopped anyway at the first place I could. I checked 3 tires and all were good, and the fourth, bam. Its at 26 PSI (should be 42 PSI). Then I found the problem, something sliced a good 3 inch gap into the tread and got stuck in there.

Well all was not lost, the run flats let me drive home. The tire is now at 2 PSI in my garage. On Monday i'll fill it up at a local gas station then drive to the dealer.

Anyone had a runflat replaced before? I'm curious at to the cost. The one in the rear is the problem and i looked up the tire on tirerack and its $288 just for the tire. I'm guess around $350?

There have been better days...
Old 10-16-2004, 01:41 PM
Members
Senior Members

PS. It's ironic that I was just at the dealer this last Wednesday to order that wood trim. I doubt it came in but I'll check on it.
Old 10-16-2004, 01:53 PM
Super Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My Ride: G30 M550i
Model Year: 2018

Did the tire look any different at 2 psi? Could you visibly tell that it was low? I'm interested in your opinions on how it drives on the way to the gas station with no pressure on Monday...
Old 10-16-2004, 01:55 PM
Contributors

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: [i][b][u]Since 19 august 2004[/u][/b][/i]: [color=red][b]530i[/b] High Executive[/color], Silvergray with beige interior, Popular wood, Servotronic, Sportssuspension, electric foldable and dimmed mirrors, dimmed interior mirror, pappelmaser braun wood, cupholders, styling 123 18" wheels, Logic 7, Steptronic, alarm class 3, electric sunscreen in the rear and suncreens for sidewindows, Comfort seats, heated seats, Xenon with headlightwashers, Adaptive corner lights ALC, Advanced airconditioning, lightpackage, Nav Pro, 6 cd changer, side airbags rearseats, bluetooth siemens S55, chrome kidneys, gearlever with wood, voice recognition retrofit, front windshield with green band. Waiting for trunkopener button from Hobi :)

Maybe you are able to make a picture of your flat tire. It is good to know that the technology works! What kind of brand tires do you have? Dunlop or Bridgestone?

Good luck at your dealer!
Old 10-16-2004, 02:15 PM
Senior Members

Lomag, sorry to hear about this. If it's as bad as you say then the tire will probably need replacing.
I had a puncture last week. System gonged me just after setting off for home at the end of the day. I could not see a flat but my pressure guage showed onr tire was down 50%. Very clever stuff.

Next morning I took the car in to a tire shop to have the puncture repaired. I wanted the proper mushroom patch used from the inside, the problem was that their pneumatic machine was not strong enough to get the tire off the rim. The side walls are really very strong. I had to settle for an external plug repair.

I was told that there are only a few shops that have the correct equipment to get the tire off the rim.

Lomag make sure that you quiz the tire shop first and find out if they know what they are doing as far as run flats are concerned before dealing with them.

Cheers

Streak
Old 10-16-2004, 02:36 PM
Senior Members

I had to replace a Bridgestone runflat. Total cost at the stealer was about $434 including mounting, balancing, etc. Fortunately I have tire/rim insurance that reimbursed $398.

The rim was thrashed by the ignorant tire tech so bad that my rim had to be repainted. The Service Manager acted like "no big deal"..."we do that all the time".

Print out the Tirerack price and take it with you to the stealer to see if they will discount their normal price.
Old 10-16-2004, 05:34 PM
Members

My Ride: 2004 545i 6speed

Originally Posted by Lomag' date='Oct 16 2004, 03:35 PM
Well all was not lost, the run flats let me drive home. The tire is now at 2 PSI in my garage. On Monday i'll fill it up at a local gas station then drive to the dealer.

There have been better days...?
[snapback]45619[/snapback]
Looks as if they performed as billed. Imagine your displeasure had you been jacking up the car to place one of those stow-away spares. Had you been recalibrating tire pressure via iDrive previously? I gots to get out my trusty manual and check-up on these things. I've been a bit negligent on this aspect of vehicle performance.

Good luck. Bring your credit cards.
Old 10-16-2004, 05:41 PM
Senior Members

BMW=Bring Money Withya
Old 10-16-2004, 06:17 PM
Members
Senior Members

I have Dunlop runflats and the tire does look a little flat. I'll take some pics on Monday before I go out. I'll take a closer look at the tire tommorrow also but I dont think this is one of those flats than can be repaired based on what I saw before regardless of the type of tire.

I certaintly trust the dealer more than a local tire shop and will probably end up paying dearly for it. I'm not too thrilled with Jimbo's $434 quote. Hopefully no more than $350 but we'll see. I have some easy issues for the dealer to take a look at too.

And yes... I had just refilled the tires with proper pressure and re-did the pressure monitor in idrive probably 2 weeks prior. I check on it maybe once every 2 or 3 months, when I remember.
Old 10-16-2004, 06:29 PM
Senior Members

Actually it was $462. Sorry.