E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Weird Steptonic Behaviour

Search this Thread

Old 11-28-2005, 01:49 AM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: UK 2005 530d E61

I seem to have a weird issue with my Steptronic 530d (Mar'05 UK E61). It's like the car goes into DS mode without being in DS - the rev limits for changes are higher and it refuses to engage D6 automatically. I also notice a change in exhaust note - almost like the exhaust is 'blowing' slightly. I think DS is used from cold sometimes to have the engine/catalyst warm rapidly. However, I had this weird mode occur in the middle of a 200 mile motorway drive at 70mph+ last night. The mode seems to self-cancel after a while.

I've seen transmission 'slam' posts, etc. but I can't find anything similar to this on the forum. Does anybody else have the same experience? Is this some legitimate mode for some purpose? Any views/comments appreciated (as always!).
Old 11-28-2005, 02:46 AM
Senior Members

This is normal behaviour.

About every 1000 miles, the particulate filter goes through a "burn" phase to remove residue - this involves closing off some valves or something like that.

It happens on my car too - sounds like you've got a V8 under your right foot
Old 11-28-2005, 03:54 AM
Members

Originally Posted by browellm' post='204167' date='Nov 28 2005, 11:46 AM
This is normal behaviour.

About every 1000 miles, the particulate filter goes through a "burn" phase to remove residue - this involves closing off some valves or something like that.

It happens on my car too - sounds like you've got a V8 under your right foot
I've had this too and asked my local dealer to look into it, they offered no expanation only told me they had reset the gearbox.

Thanks very much for the info.
Old 11-28-2005, 04:09 AM
Senior Members

I'm very surprised they don't include a section in the user manual on this. The first time it happens it's *very* disconcerting.
Old 11-28-2005, 04:39 AM
Members

Originally Posted by browellm' post='204190' date='Nov 28 2005, 01:09 PM
I'm very surprised they don't include a section in the user manual on this. The first time it happens it's *very* disconcerting.
Thanks browellm! I had wondered about it being a legitimate mode and I'd say that the 1000 mile intervals is about consistent with my observations. I agree that a quick note in the manual would have been a good thing ... but then there are other sections of the manual that are 'wanting' too

Skip's post on the dealer advice was a little worrying!
Old 11-28-2005, 04:46 AM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by sumu' post='204207' date='Nov 28 2005, 01:39 PM
Skip's post on the dealer advice was a little worrying!
Worrying, yes. Surprising, no.
Old 11-28-2005, 06:05 AM
Members

My Ride: Ordered: 530D Touring Silver Gray (A08), Auburn Dakota Leather (LCRK), Maple Wood, Steptronic, Bluetooth, 116 style 17'', Railbars, Sport suspension, Sport stering wheel

Originally Posted by sumu' post='204164' date='Nov 28 2005, 04:49 AM
I seem to have a weird issue with my Steptronic 530d (Mar'05 UK E61). It's like the car goes into DS mode without being in DS - the rev limits for changes are higher and it refuses to engage D6 automatically. I also notice a change in exhaust note - almost like the exhaust is 'blowing' slightly. I think DS is used from cold sometimes to have the engine/catalyst warm rapidly. However, I had this weird mode occur in the middle of a 200 mile motorway drive at 70mph+ last night. The mode seems to self-cancel after a while.

I've seen transmission 'slam' posts, etc. but I can't find anything similar to this on the forum. Does anybody else have the same experience? Is this some legitimate mode for some purpose? Any views/comments appreciated (as always!).
I have had the same experience. The behaviour is very disappointing. I was told that was for the cleaning of the particulate filter.
My objection is that manual gearbox cars can not have the option of forcing the gear to have a higher engine rotation!!

Last week I asked my dealer to completely reset the memory of the car and reprogram everything. I will keep you updated.

I know that the behaviour is even worse in the WV Passat which blocks the car if the driver is not cleaning properly the filter.
Old 11-28-2005, 06:20 AM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by ianni' post='204229' date='Nov 28 2005, 03:05 PM
My objection is that manual gearbox cars can not have the option of forcing the gear to have a higher engine rotation!!

Last week I asked my dealer to completely reset the memory of the car and reprogram everything. I will keep you updated.
Relax! It is not vital that gearbox changes up (otherwise you would not be able to select M6 with the auto transmission. It just helps things alonga bit. It is completely normal behaviour for the car, why are you asking the dealer to reset the ECU?
Old 11-28-2005, 07:14 AM
Members

I don't have a problem with the programmed 'clean cycle' ... it's just a bit unnerving when your not sure why the car is behaving so. I agree with browellm on this one and say that the biggest fault here is the lack of info in the manual.

The lack of D6 is not really noticable unless you're on the motorway ... and even then I found that you can still manually select D6 and the 'box will also go into D6 if you set the cruise control.
Old 11-28-2005, 07:54 AM
Senior Members

... and the cycle only lasts half an hour iirc

Quick Reply: Weird Steptonic Behaviour