E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

Weird sound when I turn..

Search this Thread

Old 07-21-2008, 08:26 PM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 05' 545i Sport Sapphire Black

Whenever I take a turn I hear a weird clunk, more so when the turn is sharper. Any idea what it is??

Oh yeah, tonight I parked over this cement parking stop and when I backed up, the bumper was stuck on it and it ripped my bumper almost completly off, there is now a nice 1.5 inch gap in between the bottom of the headlight and the bumper. Any idea on the cost of the damage?
Old 07-21-2008, 08:43 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2005 545i- Titanium Gray

Originally Posted by smoak' post='629617' date='Jul 21 2008, 11:26 PM
Whenever I take a turn I hear a weird clunk, more so when the turn is sharper. Any idea what it is??

Oh yeah, tonight I parked over this cement parking stop and when I backed up, the bumper was stuck on it and it ripped my bumper almost completly off, there is now a nice 1.5 inch gap in between the bottom of the headlight and the bumper. Any idea on the cost of the damage?

Smoak...buy the Mkit...you now have the perfect excuse.
Old 07-21-2008, 08:53 PM
Members

My Ride: 05' 545i Sport Sapphire Black

Ok, where do I buy just the front bumper??

And what about the noise coming from when I turn?
Old 07-22-2008, 01:50 AM
Contributors

My Ride: E61 CarbonBlack 535d, Ventilated and Heated Comfort Seats with Massage in Black Nasca Leather, Dark Poplar Wood, Professional Navi, Folding Rear Seats, Load Through, Advanced Remote, PDC, Bluetooth, Dimming and folding Mirrors, Bi-Xenons, Hi-Fi, Tinted

Yeah it's the hose, when you uncover your engine from the bottom (you have to lift your car) you will see it. It is supposed to hang on two hooks, check if it isn't too loose.
Old 07-22-2008, 04:09 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 525
Model Year: 2004

Originally Posted by smoak' post='629617' date='Jul 22 2008, 12:26 AM

I have clunk in my stearing colums as well. Doesn't happen all the time, but very repeatable when making sharp turns. I've taken it into the dealer twice and they can't seem to find anything wrong and say everything is working within specs. This last time I brought it in, they referenced a TSB for changing out suspension bolts for newer ones, but it didn't seem to make any difference on the ctearking clunk. I am now out of warranty by about 1k miles, but I'm thinking of taking it back it for another go-through since the problem was well dcoumented while under warranty.
Old 07-22-2008, 04:35 AM
Contributors

My Ride: Week 17 Build, 2008 E60 535d M Sport - Titanium Silver, Black Dakota Leather, Visibility Package, Media Package, Automatic gearbox, Steering Wheel Heating, M Double Spoke 172 19" Mixed Wheels, Auto-Dim+Exterior Mirror, Comfort seats, Front Seat Heating, Aluminium Pentan interior trim,DAB Tuner, TV Function, BMW Individual Audio System 825W !!

[quote name='smoak' date='Jul 22 2008, 05:26 AM' post='629617']

The problem I believe is with the steering column. Same thing happened to my 04 E61. Took about 5 visits to the dealer to get the problem sorted. once they said the torque settings have changed, didn't work. then a different type of grease!! Needless to say didn't work.

The problem was finally resolved after a test drive with an engineer to allow him to hear/feel the 'clunk'. ( They didn't belive it was happening). It only occured like you say on slow tight corners., and it was only right at the very end of test when the Guy finally felt the clunking. To resolve it they replaced the entire steering column, and since then didn't have a problem with it. BMW know about this issue, and so should the Dealers. At least over here in the UK.

Good luck
Old 07-22-2008, 04:40 AM
Members

My Ride: 530i - Black on Black - Sport&Premium

Originally Posted by smoak' post='629617' date='Jul 22 2008, 05:26 AM

The problem I believe is with the steering column. Same thing happened to my 04 E61. Took about 5 visits to the dealer to get the problem sorted. once they said the torque settings have changed, didn't work. then a different type of grease!! Needless to say didn't work.

The problem was finally resolved after a test drive with an engineer to allow him to hear/feel the 'clunk'. ( They didn't belive it was happening). It only occured like you say on slow tight corners., and it was only right at the very end of test when the Guy finally felt the clunking. To resolve it they replaced the entire steering column, and since then didn't have a problem with it. BMW know about this issue, and so should the Dealers. At least over here in the UK.

Good luck
+1...I have the same problem and I am out of waranty so I decided not to change it. The dealer said it is the steering colum (steering shaft) but it was expensive. Can't remember the quote I got. When you get yours can you post it here again?

Thanks
Old 07-22-2008, 05:50 PM
Members

I had that problem one time and the dealership changed my whole steering system (under warranty so I didn't pay anything)
Old 07-22-2008, 09:42 PM
Members

Thirdy, can you scan me a copy of your service record for this? I've had the same issue and had the shop foreman drive my car. He agreed that it clunked but they called it situation normal and not a safety issue. My car is in CPO warranty now and the dealer is very clearly "hands off" on most items. Having that document might help my case. Send a PM if you can.

Regards, Jeff
Old 07-22-2008, 11:15 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2004 e60 M5 Replica Titanium Silver Premium Package Premium Sound Package Adaptive Xenon's Apple iPhone cell interactive pared with iDrive Bluetooth setting 19 inch BMW OEM 166M rims, Michelin tires Sprint Booster - V2 Fidelity / BMW Extended Warranty 7 year / 100,000 miles
Question

Originally Posted by smoak' post='629617' date='Jul 22 2008, 12:26 AM

====================

My 2004 e60 530i last April 08, I just had a similar problem every time I turned my steering wheel it made a low, but noticeable, that was quite annoying grinding type sound, (reminded me of the noise you hear when your running low of power steering fluid, but that was not the problem, because mine was full).

So I took it into BMW Service Dept in April 2008, and come to find out BMW have had a recall on the e60 power steering pumps noise, and possibly failing at some point, and said to replace them if this next BMW fix dont work, so my local BMW Service Dept just changed mine to a heavier type power steering fluid and it seems to have taken care of the problem for now, and here it is July, about 1000 miles later, and the heavier power steering fluid seems to have alleviated the steering wheel noise, but for how long?

I am real skeptical person of these "Quick" BMW e60 fixes, especially when my Bumper-to-Bumper, with no deducible 4 year warranty just ended at that same time in April 2008, I am not too happy of BMW quick fix of a heavier weight oil in my steering pump, or anything where metal gears and seals and gaskets are involved, to take care of any mechanical problem for too long. I hope I am wrong, but we will see in time. It will probably last before or the day of my extended warranty runs out in three years, the only thing I will have to pay the $100.00 deducible for the same problem I am had in April 2008!! But it could be worse I suppose and have NO extended warranty on my e60 04 BMW!!

Thanks for letting me vent, and I hope this helps you with your power steering problem, and it is a BMW factory power steering e60 recall thats should be paid for by BMW and not you!! : )

R. Eddie Presley aka Presley348

Quick Reply: Weird sound when I turn..