E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Weird Noise from near the dashboard - sounds like a stone chipping the

Search this Thread

Old 01-23-2007, 05:03 AM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 535D AM SPORT 06 (07 for you US Guys ;-) Carbon Black Professional Sat Nav 6CD Changer Automatic Aircondition Advance (Standard fit) Bluetooth Telephone Preperation with Telematics Preperation Extended Voice Control System M 19" Mixed Wheels Style 172M BMW Online BMW Assist Graduated Tinted Windscreen Bi-Xenon Headlights Adaptive Headlights Headlight Wash System Black Dakota Leather Rear Spoiler Spare Wheel M Rear Spoler Sun Protection Glass Heated Front Seats BMW Velour Floor Mats BMW Service and Maintenance for 5 years/60,000 miles Tracker - Echo

Have been getting this clicking/popping noise which can best be described as a stone hitting the windscreen coming from behind the dashboard. Has anyone experienced this?
Old 01-23-2007, 06:35 AM
Members

Yes, I get this now it's cold out. Once the car warms up inside something pops in the dashboard. I think it's just everything expanding with the heat and something is popping into place.

My 530i and my Dad's VW Passat do exactly the same thing. It really bugs my old man. I just turn the radio up.
Old 01-23-2007, 06:38 AM
Super Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My Ride: G30 M550i
Model Year: 2018

Originally Posted by 535dMAN' post='382116' date='Jan 23 2007, 09:03 AM
Have been getting this clicking/popping noise which can best be described as a stone hitting the windscreen coming from behind the dashboard. Has anyone experienced this?
Do you happen to have anything in the cupholders when the noise happens? Maybe a bottle of Diet Coke?
Old 01-23-2007, 07:24 AM
Members

My Ride: 535D AM SPORT 06 (07 for you US Guys ;-) Carbon Black Professional Sat Nav 6CD Changer Automatic Aircondition Advance (Standard fit) Bluetooth Telephone Preperation with Telematics Preperation Extended Voice Control System M 19" Mixed Wheels Style 172M BMW Online BMW Assist Graduated Tinted Windscreen Bi-Xenon Headlights Adaptive Headlights Headlight Wash System Black Dakota Leather Rear Spoiler Spare Wheel M Rear Spoler Sun Protection Glass Heated Front Seats BMW Velour Floor Mats BMW Service and Maintenance for 5 years/60,000 miles Tracker - Echo

nope nothing in the cup holders at all!
Old 01-23-2007, 07:47 AM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by 535dMAN' post='382167' date='Jan 23 2007, 11:24 AM
nope nothing in the cup holders at all!
You probably think I'm nuts for asking that question! Here's the deal...

The shape of a Diet Coke bottle (plastic 20 ounce) plays havoc with the cupholders. There is a little spring-loaded flap that hinges up or down 90 degrees when you insert something in the cupholders. If you put something cylindrical into the holder, the flap either stays down or stays up, depending on the size of the object. A Diet Coke bottle is tapered so what happens is that the flap is pushed down when you insert the bottle but then the flap will often times snap back up where the bottle is narrower than the bottom.

Very often, depending on how the bottle is leaning, the flap will stay down for a long time and then, without any notice, it will snap up (probably if the bottle moves a little due to normal g-forces). When this thing snaps up, it sounds exactly like a stone hitting the windshield!

I'm betting there are others who have seen this happen -- anyone?
Old 01-23-2007, 08:27 AM
Members

My Ride: 05 545i Sport, Man, Cold WX Pkg, Black Sapphire Met on Black

Rudy

right there with ya man!!! Every morning drive to work, my sheets coffee mug pops up and down as I drive over the mountains. It used to drive me nuts until I jst gave in to the engineering of the coffee mug in relation to my cup holder! I think the spring may be a little too tight as well leading to "poppage" of the beverage. Ah well. If this is the only complaint I have.......
Old 01-23-2007, 08:35 AM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by Spyder44' post='382194' date='Jan 23 2007, 12:27 PM
Rudy

right there with ya man!!! Every morning drive to work, my sheets coffee mug pops up and down as I drive over the mountains. It used to drive me nuts until I jst gave in to the engineering of the coffee mug in relation to my cup holder! I think the spring may be a little too tight as well leading to "poppage" of the beverage. Ah well. If this is the only complaint I have.......
Yup, those cupholders are sure quirky!

One thing I forgot to mention about the Diet Coke is that once the flap has snapped up, you can't just pull the Coke bottle out by lifting it straight up. Instead, you have to pull the bottle towards the flap to flip it down first and after that, you can lift the bottle out. I can't tell you how many times a passenger almost ripped the thing out of the dash because they didn't know this little secret...
Old 01-23-2007, 08:39 AM
Members

I have the same noise. I took a tech on a ride and he said it was a support bracket under the hood that needs to be tightened. it happens most when driving into a driveway or something that would twist the frame. I havn't had a chance to leave it with them to find out if that's what it is. Does this sound like your problem?
Old 01-23-2007, 08:40 AM
Contributors

My Ride: My ex-ride: EU '08 LCI 520dA. Space Grey, Sport Seats in Black Leather/Fabric Anthracite, Sport Steering Wheel, A/C with Extended Features, Hi-Fi Speakers, Cup Holders, Cruise with Braking function, Folding Rear Seats, Xenons, Park Distance Control.

Originally Posted by 535dMAN' post='382116' date='Jan 23 2007, 04:03 PM
Oh yes! Every winter!

My car was like a ice brick this morning - had the heater on but I did drive the car yseterday.
A lot of snow had fallen so all the window sealings etc was icy.

The dash, rear windows, all doors made a hell of an noice.

Did melt the car in the company garage - and no noice.
Old 01-23-2007, 10:33 AM
Members

Rudy - I wern't taking the P I promise although I was amused at the question - now you clarified it makes sense

toddk - The loose bracket thingy it certainly isn't - it seems more like what furtive said as i notice it only happens when the heating is on!

Quick Reply: Weird Noise from near the dashboard - sounds like a stone chipping the