E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Weird Mystery water leak has me stumped 2008 535i

Search this Thread

Old 05-03-2023, 06:16 AM
New Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 2008 bmw 535i sport
Default Weird Mystery water leak has me stumped 2008 535i

I have this mystery water leak and trying to see if anyone else has this problem. I’ve scoured all the different forums and cannot find a answer. Im going to give as much information as possible and what ive tried. Sorry if this is long post but i have to give proper details

So, My drivers side front and rear footwell are getting wet somehow. Not soaked by wet to the touch. The wetness is ONLY in these two areas, i have checked everywhere else.

Here is where it gets weird. At first I thought it was a rain drain clogged, as im in florida it rains alot. So i checked all of the rain drained and sunroof drains and all where good.
i took the drivers and passenger seat out of the car and dried everything until it was bone dry.
I then took a hose and sprayed my car everywhere for 5-10 minutes to simulate a downpour and rugs where still bone dry.

I then drove the car and after driving it the carpets where wet again. I thought wtf, it didn’t rain? Dried them again completely, they stayed bone dry until i drove the car again the next day. Wet again. So then i thought the AC drain was clogged so i jacked up the car and ripped off both of the ac drain flaps because they where old and sticking, and shot compressed air through it
I then i took the panels off in both driver and passenger footwell and removed the drain tube from the bottom of the evaporator housing and shot air through it as well.

Ran the car and watched with my own eyes both drains working as intended. So i dry it AGAIN then decide to not use the ac for a few days to 100% confirmed if it’s coming from there. Sure enough after a few days of no rain and AC , its still dry, then when i turn the ac on again bam it starts leaking again.

?????

Where the heck is this water coming from? Nothing is wet under the evaporator housing where the drains are and as far as im aware the drains go straight through the firewall and pour out on the side of the transmission.

Has anyone else had this problem?
im completely stumped on where this mystery water source is coming from.
Old 05-03-2023, 05:16 PM
Super Moderator

Received 186 Likes on 181 Posts
My Ride: '06 530i N52

It could be misting under pressure, which can be tough to catch via visual inspection. Try using some leak detector dye.