E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

Weird Electrical Problems. HELP!

Search this Thread

Old 07-02-2010, 05:47 PM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 05 525i xenons, premium package, non-nav

Hey Guys let me start me introducing myself. My name's Ted I've been a lurker here on these forums for quite some time now and now I desperately need some assistance. It began last night, one of my factory HID's went from stock color to purple. When I awoke in the morning, the car wouldn't start. Boosted the car up, started fine. 2 hours later, dies again. Boosted it up, all well. As I began to drive home from work an hour ago, the screen goes completely blank on me and won't turn back on. I'm at a loss of knowledge when it comes to this stuff so please can anyone chime in with possible remedies or even what the problem may be??? Someone at work suggested it may be a short?? Thanks in advance
Old 07-02-2010, 06:33 PM
Members

Originally Posted by TJBentley
Hey Guys let me start me introducing myself. My name's Ted I've been a lurker here on these forums for quite some time now and now I desperately need some assistance. It began last night, one of my factory HID's went from stock color to purple. When I awoke in the morning, the car wouldn't start. Boosted the car up, started fine. 2 hours later, dies again. Boosted it up, all well. As I began to drive home from work an hour ago, the screen goes completely blank on me and won't turn back on. I'm at a loss of knowledge when it comes to this stuff so please can anyone chime in with possible remedies or even what the problem may be??? Someone at work suggested it may be a short?? Thanks in advance
It would be better if you post the year/model of your car. It might be the battery if you're still on the original one. Bad batteries will still charge but will also discharge rightaway.
Old 07-02-2010, 06:36 PM
Members

You're right, silly of me to forget to post that. It's an '05 525i 60k miles. It still has the factory battery in it so that I guess that can possibly be the cause, thanks.. Any other guesses anybody?
Old 07-02-2010, 08:25 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2006 BMW 550i

your car is an 05, and chances are the car was made in 04. so your battery is pushing 6 years old. batteries go bad over time, and about 5 years is a normal life cycle.
i'd change the battery first. old batteries randomly go dead, and dont hold a good charge, and can cause all kinds of electrical issues.
Old 07-02-2010, 08:37 PM
Contributors

Originally Posted by turboawd
your car is an 05, and chances are the car was made in 04. so your battery is pushing 6 years old. batteries go bad over time, and about 5 years is a normal life cycle.
i'd change the battery first. old batteries randomly go dead, and dont hold a good charge, and can cause all kinds of electrical issues.
TJBently ...

This is a much discussed topic - use search and you'll learn more about batteries than you ever wanted to know!
Old 07-02-2010, 09:45 PM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My Ride: A Car

yes it's ur battery. and ur factory hids will blow soon as well. U will need to upgrade those D1S bulbs soon too.
Old 07-03-2010, 04:32 AM
Members

Thanks everybody who replied, I will definitely be checking the battery out today to see if that is the culprit. Well as an update, I just tried to start the car in my driveway and sure enough it's dead. The car did not even try to crank itself, just a few of the lights on the dash went on and that's about it. Now I have one more question, I'm not sure if this is just coincidence or maybe a bigger problem. The right fog light went out about 2 months ago, which was proceeded by the right angel eyes going out, and now the right headlight just started 2 days ago to be giving me problems and going out/turning purple as well. Could this be a short? Or just mere coincidence? I know it is hard to diagnose the problem without seeing it but ANY input is welcomed. Sorry if I'm becoming annoying =/ I would just really like to have a car for the 4th of July weekend! Thanks
Old 07-03-2010, 09:48 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2006 BMW 550i

Lights going out are just a coincidence more than likely. If you need the car in action quickly, get a battery at your local autozone and swap it out.
Also, Do a search on battery registration, there's lots of posts on this subject.
Old 07-04-2010, 06:31 AM
Members

Many thanks again! Replaced the battery this morning and the car started without hesitation However, the screen is still blank and the radio won't even play. Any clue why this is? Maybe a blown fuse?
Old 07-04-2010, 04:39 PM
Members

Sounds like it could well be the MPM in the boot floor. Just had the same symptoms on my car last week, dead radio and screen. My battery charger fried the MPM and it needed replacement. Cost fom BMW was £130 for the module and two minutes to fit yourself.

Quick Reply: Weird Electrical Problems. HELP!